Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DIY Winter Gear Done (almost)

Good morning! Hope everyone had a good and safe Labor Day weekend.

This weekend I got busy making winter gear for the wife and I. Hammocks, UQ's, TQ's and insulated socks - might as well make everything at once. I find everything to be a little bulky due to the thicker Climashield Apex we chose, but as for weight, its not a problem. I can put everything from each of our setups in separate dry bags and carry it lashed to each backpack. I'll weigh everything when I can find the scale. Liz did all the measuring/cutting and I did all the sewing. A few little mistakes, but that was my fault (never hers).

Thanks to all the great info here at the forums, it was a snap to put everything together. I used ideas from at least a dozen different people.

The hammocks were made from RSBTR Hex70 XL 2.2 in Grey - nothing special done - just 4 yards to start and 11' finished with 110" ridge line and a 65" width. Pretty much plain vanilla. The suspension is 1" mule tape with no hardware (my son has a roll of it, so I used it) - a Becket hitch is used to secure the line. Very easy to make.

The UQ's are made from a double layer of 3.6 Apex encased in 1.1 coyote ripstop - 63" long by 46" wide and I used the Stormcrow suspension method. The Horse Collars descibed by scum were made to seal the gaps at the ends. We also used a prusik from the ridgeline to pull the UQ's up - uses a lot less shockcord and is easy to adjust in the hammock. It really pulls the ends of the UQ up compaired to running them out to the ends of the hammock. I experimented with both ideas.

The TQ's are made from 1.1 coyote ripstop and single layer of Climashield Apex 6 oz. Finished with a RayWay sewn footbox (we like it). Width is 58" and 81" long - easy foot to nose.

The socks are made from 8 yds of the same 1.1 coyote ripstop cut in the shape of a smile, dory, upside down frown, etc. The ends are cinched to the hammock ends and the lower half of the sock is lined with a single layer of 3/32 PPEF and protected by 1.1 ripstop in purple (all I had left in material). Entry/exit is thru 8 ft of #3 zipper with 2 dbl tabs and a long cord on the inside for ease of opening. I still have to nail down the top edges of the PPEF - later today - after my nap. I think I should have used 1/32 PPEF instead.

Both sets of gear can interchange - same sizes, colors, etc. My wife is only 2" shorter than me.

These are just some quick pictures. I plan on finding some trees today or tomorrow (hopefully), time permitting. We tried everything hanging in the garage and slept in them last night - sure beats the hard, dirty ground. The sock is way too hot for 50 degrees (abandoned them quickly) - same for the UQ and TQ - both of us loosened/vented the UQ's and kicked the TQ's to the foot end of the hammocks. Otherwise its pure bliss sleeping in the hammocks. Should have done this years ago - snore vibrations were felt next door. Yep - live and learn. Liz had a touch of motion sickness from swaying in the first 30 minutes, but it went away as she got used to it.

0903170857.jpg

0903170902.jpg

0827171929.jpg

0902171516.jpg

0903171556.jpg

0904170727.jpg

0904170730.jpg

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Nice work!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sounds wonderful! Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by LostCause View Post
    Nice work!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Thank you, sir! It was a lot of fun and we learned a lot, but we're already bashing over the "we should have done it this way" thing now. Maybe during the winter when we make some 3 season stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by RexLaughlin View Post
    Sounds wonderful! Good job!
    Thank you!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY down 3/4 UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Dutch
    Images
    I don't know.... That switching looks a little too straight for DIY. If you want people to believe you made it, you gotta seem as if you were shooting for a zig-zag stitch! LOL

Seriously, nice work!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I don't know.... That switching looks a little too straight for DIY. If you want people to believe you made it, you gotta seem as if you were shooting for a zig-zag stitch! LOL

Seriously, nice work!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Thank you! You made me laugh at that one. Heres one of the terrible sewing pictures from the other side of the UQ to show I'm just like everybody else. My friend who taught me to sew is the real deal master sewer and I bring my difficult projects to him and watch in awe of his talent.

0904171422a.jpg

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG Cayenne Pepp
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    good work! I still need to start my winter tarp, just afraid to start cutting...

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsy Camp and Canoe View Post
    good work! I still need to start my winter tarp, just afraid to start cutting...
    Thank you! Measure at least 12 times and just before you cut - measure again to make sure. Tarps are much easier than quilts (to me anyway - I've made over a dozen for fellow ground sleepers and net tent users) - its all straight lines unless you cat cut and then it takes just a little longer to roll hem the edges. A big table helps more than anything. Always practice on scrap in order to set your thread tension and set the foot pressure so the feed dogs will move the slick sil. I was told first off when learning - guide the material thru - dont pull it. Good luck!

Jack

Can you show the rayway footbox and describe it a little more?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by onesojourner View Post
    Can you show the rayway footbox and describe it a little more?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Sorry to take so long to answer back. The Ray Way here : http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Quilt-Kit/index.htm

The quilt is designed for ground use, but I shortened it a bit so its foot to nose for hammock use. I like the design as it has a very roomy foot box. I tend to move my legs around a lot at night. Im also a side sleeper when on the ground and pull up my legs so I can cover over my head easily. It works fine in a hammock (2 nights now), but is bulkier than a hammock specific TQ. Lightweight bulk, but bulk none the less. We like the extra width so we can "tuck in" the sides and not worry about being squeezed too much - getting used to the confinement of a hammock. Tonights going down to 47! Gonna be fun to see how everything works in a little cooler atmosphere. Still havent gotten out of the garage yet due to baby sitting chores.

Jack