Hammock
    JRB Bridge and WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Gossamer Gear 1/4"
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings!
    I should have added that I am a cold sleeper with virtually no bodyfat. When hammock camping in Mexico I was almost always zipped up in my bag so I think, at least to start, that a bag is the way for me to go.

Thanks again to all.

Keth

Hammock
    warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    sleeping bag, & TQ
    Suspension
    amsteel, treehuger
    Images
    i agree with sir nothing. to each his own. if you haven't bought a bag yet then wait till you can get what you will be happy with. the kick *** quilts are synthetic and many people like them. the jardine quilts mentioned above seem nice too and if you aren't martha stewart with a sewing machine you could probably throw a little cash towards someone here doing it for you. especially synthetic is easier to work with.
    as i said earlier i like a bag. but you do compress the insulation under you so it's somewhat useless and more weight to carry than a top quilt.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    What temp rating are you looking for? The Lamina 20 comes with a full zip. I own it and like it. Also a cold sleeper. Full zip gives you more options for venting, using like a top quilt and of course standard sleeping bag mode.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Tarp
    Mamajamba SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Gossamer Gear 1/4"
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings!
    Knotty,
    I am looking for a three season bag for Vermont mostly. Early Spring to Late Fall. The Lamina looks good but I was hoping to keep weight closer to 2 pounds for the bag. Might have to kick it up a notch to 3 pounds and buy some titanium cookware. I can deal with having it mostly vented in summer as the high ridges where I camp almost always dip to the 50s on the warmest nights here.

Thanks for pointing it out. Didn't see it on REI!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Mamajamba SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Gossamer Gear 1/4"
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings!
    Ack! Just saw there is no draft tube on the zipper on the Lamina. That would be a deal breaker for me. Might have to wrestle with the Ultralamina or perhaps a North Face Fission.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I want to hear the "death by down bag" story!!!!!
    I used a bag for a long time with great success in quilt and bag mode.
    Using quilts now but still have my Western Mountaineering Alpinelite 20º and REI 0º bags.
    Shug the Snug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Tarp
    Mamajamba SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Gossamer Gear 1/4"
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings!
    Death by Down goes something like this.....

First Bivy sack model ever made by MSR (Now you know how old I am!) First generation Gore-Tex. North Face Blue Kazoo sleeping bag. No rain predicted for weekend so we go real light and head above timberline in Colorado San Juan Mountains. Middle of the night a drenching squall comes through. Bivy sack leaks like a sieve. Bag is soaked quickly. Down jacket soaked. I didn't have anything to keep me warm and temps dropped with the falling rain to near freezing. I felt naked and wet. I was hypothermic to the point of not being able really talk and my friend was trying to figure out how to get me down the mountain on his back.

We still laugh about how we huddled together in his bag to get me warm (synthetic) but the night didn't change him as he is happily married to a lovely lady.

Sun came up and things improved. I was hallucinating earlier but that Colorado sun is magic and we made it out fine!

I imagine the new DWR coatings really help on the down bags these days but here in Vermont we tend to get our fair share of rain. If someone can convince me that down is better for a wet climate than it was 30 years ago I am all ears!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
    Death by Down goes something like this.....

First Bivy sack model ever made by MSR (Now you know how old I am!) First generation Gore-Tex. North Face Blue Kazoo sleeping bag. No rain predicted for weekend so we go real light and head above timberline in Colorado San Juan Mountains. Middle of the night a drenching squall comes through. Bivy sack leaks like a sieve. Bag is soaked quickly. Down jacket soaked. I didn't have anything to keep me warm and temps dropped with the falling rain to near freezing. I felt naked and wet. I was hypothermic to the point of not being able really talk and my friend was trying to figure out how to get me down the mountain on his back.

We still laugh about how we huddled together in his bag to get me warm (synthetic) but the night didn't change him as he is happily married to a lovely lady.

Sun came up and things improved. I was hallucinating earlier but that Colorado sun is magic and we made it out fine!

I imagine the new DWR coatings really help on the down bags these days but here in Vermont we tend to get our fair share of rain. If someone can convince me that down is better for a wet climate than it was 30 years ago I am all ears!
    Mighty fine tale and you lived to tell it ... all the better. Naw ... go with what you trust and feel good with. Less chance of a ground soaking in a hammock though.....
    BY the way .... my family is a big fan of Vermont! Our daughter was in Circus Smirkus the last 3 seasons and we are all smitten by that state.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Tarp
    Mamajamba SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Gossamer Gear 1/4"
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings!
    Always try to bring my boys to Circus Smirkus! How funny! Vermont is nice. Wee bit cold for my bones these days but still fun. Looking forward to hanging again this spring!

Cheers!

Another manufacturer to consider would be Tim Marshall from Enlightened Equipment. He custom makes bags/quilts to your specifications and does it for a very competitive price.

http://enlightenedequipment.webs.com/products.htm

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12