Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Newcastle, Australia
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory Hess View Post
    That's me.
    Ah I was intending to search for you but you came to me! I wanted to say thanks for your big write-up earlier, it was you who caused me to go to SLD, and the hammocks turned out to be just what I was after.

    And your figures were instrumental in my decision of what size to get. Well an accumulation of information over a few weeks, culminating in yours.

    I'm 5'10 with knee problems too, a bit of arthritis in fact, I can even get sore knees with straight legs. So I ended up getting the same hammock as you except 12' instead of 11 foot. I'm feeling I've made a good choice. I got the same width as yours.

  2. #12
    Cory Hess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Twin Lakes, WIsconsin
    Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    UGQ/LLG
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Posts
    146
    Glad that somebody was able to get something out of it. Jared makes an excellent hammock, and I have no doubt that you'll enjoy yours. He also works extremely quickly. You'll be hanging before you know it.

    I really contemplated getting a 12' hammock as well. I still may at some point, but at this point the wide 11' seems to be working out. I can't wait to hear your report on how it works out for you.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Newcastle, Australia
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory Hess View Post
    Glad that somebody was able to get something out of it. Jared makes an excellent hammock, and I have no doubt that you'll enjoy yours. He also works extremely quickly. You'll be hanging before you know it.

    I really contemplated getting a 12' hammock as well. I still may at some point, but at this point the wide 11' seems to be working out. I can't wait to hear your report on how it works out for you.
    Mate I'll let you know how it works out when I get it. Yeah Jared said that when he gets the material in a few days, he'll have it made and sent out the next day!

    I got the 12" for an accumulation of reasons, including what you said. You sounded like you felt as though a 12 footer would help, but logistically it wasn't viable with your current tarp lengths and things.

    I don't have this problem, so I thought I'd go straight in for the sweet spot. And from all the testimonials I've read about hammock width and length, it seems to be the the case that while extra width certainly gives improvement to a cramped lay, extending the length provides even more relief than extending the width. I don't think you can go wrong with long hammocks. I think you can get too wide, but perhaps it's harder to get too long. Well apart from having to find trees wider apart and bigger tarps.
    Last edited by AyeJay; 09-06-2017 at 13:10.

  4. #14
    Cory Hess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Twin Lakes, WIsconsin
    Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    UGQ/LLG
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Posts
    146
    Just a quick update: I ended up buying a DIY 12' hammock that somebody was selling here on the forums. It's in the same 1.7 Robic XL that my SLD is in. I have to say that the 12' length makes it easier to find the sweet spot. It's very, very comfortable and I get a perfectly flat lay in it. I don't know that it's enough of an improvement to get me to switch over my whole setup, which would cost quite a bit, but if I was starting from scratch I'd definitely be going with a 12' setup.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Newcastle, Australia
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory Hess View Post
    Just a quick update: I ended up buying a DIY 12' hammock that somebody was selling here on the forums. It's in the same 1.7 Robic XL that my SLD is in. I have to say that the 12' length makes it easier to find the sweet spot. It's very, very comfortable and I get a perfectly flat lay in it. I don't know that it's enough of an improvement to get me to switch over my whole setup, which would cost quite a bit, but if I was starting from scratch I'd definitely be going with a 12' setup.
    Perhaps you can gradually transition over the long-run. What was the width of the 12 footer?

  6. #16
    Cory Hess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Twin Lakes, WIsconsin
    Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    UGQ/LLG
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Posts
    146
    I didn't measure the width, but it seems the same as my 11' SLD which is about 63.5" wide. I'd be surprised if the 12' was more than an inch off of that measurement.

    I'm sure I'll be putting together another setup relatively soon as my 3 kids and wife have all shown an interest in switching to a hammock, at least for backpacking. The main reason that I'm not setting the kids up already is that I don't want to have to set up three hammocks every night and take down three hammocks every morning. My oldest, at 10 years old, is able to set up a tent for them to share, but none are tall enough to hang a hammock and tarp. Our current set up lets me focus on my sleeping arrangements and my kids have a blast setting theirs up on their own. I'm not yet ready to rock that boat, but the whispers of them hammocking are already floating around. When that happens I can foresee one of them inheriting my 11' setup and putting together a 12' setup for myself.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Newcastle, Australia
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory Hess View Post
    I didn't measure the width, but it seems the same as my 11' SLD which is about 63.5" wide. I'd be surprised if the 12' was more than an inch off of that measurement.

    I'm sure I'll be putting together another setup relatively soon as my 3 kids and wife have all shown an interest in switching to a hammock, at least for backpacking. The main reason that I'm not setting the kids up already is that I don't want to have to set up three hammocks every night and take down three hammocks every morning. My oldest, at 10 years old, is able to set up a tent for them to share, but none are tall enough to hang a hammock and tarp. Our current set up lets me focus on my sleeping arrangements and my kids have a blast setting theirs up on their own. I'm not yet ready to rock that boat, but the whispers of them hammocking are already floating around. When that happens I can foresee one of them inheriting my 11' setup and putting together a 12' setup for myself.
    I think children should be encouraged to take as much responsibility for their own survival stuff anyway. Perhaps there are natural footstools in the forest they could use too, although that might be a little laborious at the end of a long hike.

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    "North Jersey"
    Hammock
    Hybrid 1.2 GE, Lux Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Posts
    1,465
    Images
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by AyeJay View Post
    ...Perhaps there are natural footstools in the forest...
    All too often I have to look for those myself.
    I often think to myself, if only I had an ounce of gold for every stupid thing I've ever said or done... --sqidmark

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Newcastle, Australia
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    All too often I have to look for those myself.
    Haha but you get EXCELLENT lays!!!

    EDIT: Oh what did I say...

  10. #20
    heyduff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Concord, NH
    Hammock
    Halfwit mostly, WBBB some
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Various TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and buckles
    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by AyeJay View Post
    Just to let you all know, as of 2 hours ago I have successfully ordered my hammock from SDL. Can't wait to receive it and try it out!
    I love my SLD, if you like hammocks, you will not have buyers remorse when it comes--you thought picking out what you want was the hard part? Ah ha, no, a las, now is the hard part...the waiting. Cheers!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 08-23-2017, 10:38
  2. dutch's hexon reg width, versus hexon wide?
    By solohh in forum Dutchware
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-22-2017, 22:01
  3. FT: My Dutch 11' 1.6 Hexon for your 11' 1.6 Hexon Wide
    By Otter1 in forum [TRADED] Items no longer available
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-24-2016, 05:26
  4. Dutch 1.0 hexon or 1.6 wide hexon
    By Ghashul in forum Dutchware
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-27-2016, 09:51
  5. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-08-2014, 00:56

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •