Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Noob asking about Hexon vs Ripstop?

Hi guys, noob here trying to finalize my first hammock purchase. But have a choice to make regarding two different fabrics.

I'm down to an option between a ripstop material and another material called "Hexon". I've heard of ripstop, but not Hexon. What is the difference? The Hexon is $5 more expensive, which is nothing. However that must indicate the Hexon is better in some way.

More specifically, I'm going with a Tree Runner SL hammock by SimplyLight. Here is the link to the hammock:

http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ca...products_id/83

At the bottom of that linked page, one of the drop-down boxes is called "Color/Fabric".

In that list, there are different colour/fabric options, providing for different colours and weights of both ripstop and hexon material.

As an 80kg guy, I'm looking for both lightweight and durable, so I think I'm going with a 1.6 oz fabric. There are two 1.6 oz fabrics in the list, one is ripstop, and the other is hexon. I believe I need to make a choice between those two options.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Images
    AyeJay - you are unlikely to get a better hammock fabric than Hexon 1.6 for both comfort and durability, in my opinion.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Hexon IS a ripstop fabric. It's just the brand name, in the same way that an iPhone is a smartphone.

The Hexon is not better or worse than a standard ripstop, it's just different. It feels a bit more natural, more like cotton than nylon. And it has a double ripstop pattern - squares and diamonds. Both the yarn used as well as the ripstop pattern change the characteristics of the lay. You'll have to try it to find out if you like it or not.

In any case, the 1.6oz Hexon will easily hold 80kg.

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner SL
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    My Tree Runner SL is made out of Hexon 1.6 and is very comfortable. I think you would be very pleased with it.

I weigh around 90kg so 80 shouldn't be any problem at all.
    Last edited by Alkali; 09-06-2017 at 09:15.

Thank you very much for the info about hexon everyone!

When I enquired further with Jared of SLD earlier today, it turned out that because I am after a wide width hammock, that I don't have hexon available to me in 1.6oz fabric. Wide width 1.6oz fabric only comes in the other ripstop fabric. So as I am after a wider width hammock, that has made the choice FOR me. It's good to know what hexon is about for future reference though!

Just to let you all know, as of 2 hours ago I have successfully ordered my hammock from SDL. It's only a no frills $60 hammock, but that's what I want for my first one. I want to know what a simple standard no-mods hammock is like first. Can't wait to receive it and try it out!
    Last edited by AyeJay; 09-06-2017 at 10:18.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Hybrid UHMWPE/MSH
    You're going to love it. At least, I love my SDL Tree Runner in 1.7 Robic XL. I'd imagine that your 1.6 is going to be very similar.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon W 1.6
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator E 10°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I sleep nightly in one of two Dutchware Hexon 1.6 (72" Wide) hammocks. Honestly, the "extra wide" has proven to be somewhat unnecessary for me. Still nice to have, but ultimately, I'm sure I'd be ok in one of his standard hammocks. That said, Hexon is a great feeling fabric. Kinda reminds me of lightweight linen, never has that "Plastic bag" feeling, and breathes great. Think about adding a Hexon hammock to your rotation. I'm sure you'll like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Hess View Post
    You're going to love it. At least, I love my SDL Tree Runner in 1.7 Robic XL. I'd imagine that your 1.6 is going to be very similar.
    Hey sorry for my bad memory, but are you the chap that said earlier that you had a 58 inch wide Chamelon or something and get bad knee extension problems. Then you got a 66 inch x 11 foot from SDL and problem solved? Was that you?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Hybrid UHMWPE/MSH
    That's me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrogen View Post
    I sleep nightly in one of two Dutchware Hexon 1.6 (72" Wide) hammocks. Honestly, the "extra wide" has proven to be somewhat unnecessary for me. Still nice to have, but ultimately, I'm sure I'd be ok in one of his standard hammocks. That said, Hexon is a great feeling fabric. Kinda reminds me of lightweight linen, never has that "Plastic bag" feeling, and breathes great. Think about adding a Hexon hammock to your rotation. I'm sure you'll like it!
    Thanks, I will! Well my hammock isn't quite 72", it's actually 65". So I guess wider than standard, but not really wide like your 72".

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast