Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Images

Smile Walmart Fabric Score

In the tradition of some of Jeff's fabric tours, I checked out a couple walmarts on a trip I did this weekend. To my luck of the 2 walmarts I checked, both had something of use to me.

I ended up with 19.75 yards Blue 1.9 untreated, 8.75 yards of silver 1.1 DWR, 6.75 yards grey 1.9 untreated, and a 9.3 piece and 5.25 yard piece of OD 1.1 DWR nylon ripstop. All in all a great find.

I just wanted to share this with people who would understand. I just got dirty looks from the person I was with, until I told her the retail price I would have paid if I ordered this stuff online.

It's good to see there are still some fabric departments left with what we need. So when in doubt, stop in and look. Never know what you will find.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    The wal mart I live near has a whole lot of the silver dwr. Never measured it, but it is on three seperate bundles, and they are pretty thick. Probably somewhere around 20-30 yards of it atleast. I have about 12 yards from a previous purchase, so it's still there.

Images
    I recently purchased some fabric as well at my local Walmart to begin some of my first projects all at $1/yd. The first to be a stuff sack. (Gotta start somewhere.)

Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    It's good to see there are still some fabric departments left with what we need. So when in doubt, stop in and look. Never know what you will find.
    I recently heard that walmart is closing their fabric departments later this summer. They were the last fabric retailer in my area.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteWhips View Post
    I recently heard that walmart is closing their fabric departments later this summer. They were the last fabric retailer in my area.
    there's been a lot of talk about that. there's even a thread here on HF about it.
    but it seems that someone learned that wal-mart will keep a few fabric depts... maybe.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

we had to stop and get beer for the lake this weekend and i picked up 5yds of $1 1.9oz nylon from the walmart in the tiny lake-side town where the houseboat is located. score!

i also found a 3/4yd reminant @ Joanns for the fleece with the black&white skull/crossbones pattern. i think i'll make a hat?

i also picked up some olive green fleece and (with my mom's help) sewed up a pair of fleece sleep pants to keep me warm while i hang.
    Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. ~George Smith Patton

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    My wife works at Walmart and I asked her about them closing the fabric departments. She said that some stores will be keeping them while any new store will not have it. I know of one in my area that doesn't have one and that is a newly renovated store. I still have 2 I know about that I have to go check out.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Good find, HE.

According to the handful of fabric ladies I've talked to, only a few stores in each region are keeping their fabric sections...most of them are converting it to the party department. Most of the ones near me have already converted.

Cerberus - I've never seen more than 15 yds on a Walmart bolt....but I've seen exactly 15 yds several times. I even told that to one of the fabric ladies, "If you don't want to measure that, just put 15 yds on it and I'll take it." She was sooooooo slow it was painful to stand there and wait. Very nice, though.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Great find. Congrats

I have 2 Walmarts I keep a close eye on but it has been a long time since they have had any rip stop. All the other WM have closed their fabric depts. I keep hoping to go in one day and find a bunch of silnylon in the WM's I frequent. It's kinda sad that I dream of getting fabric.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Sweet score, HE! I'm keeping my eyes on the 3 Wally Worlds here in Lexington that still have fabric departments. Anytime I'm there, I always take a quick peek, at least. Ya just never know what you're going to find.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast