Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

(Beginner) About to buy. Can someone give advice?

This summer, I started using an indoor hammock to stay cool. It worked, but my use of a single hammock on a 9' stand was, in retrospect, a mistake. It's just too cramped. (I'm 6' tall.)

For next summer, I'm thinking of:
    https://www.amazon.com/Camping-Coofe.../dp/B06Y297GTD (just a cheap double hammock, nothing special)
    https://www.amazon.com/Sunnydaze-Ham.../dp/B00K7HEA52 (A 12' stand, which was actually a bit annoying to find. Everything seemed to be 9' or 15'.)

I've measured, and I actually can jam the stand into my bedroom, but it's going to be annoying.

My actual questions:
    1) Are there any problems with the equipment I'm looking at? (Someone complained about the hook bending, so I'm thinking about just tying the knot around the post itself instead of relying on the hook.)
    2) Is there a better way to get a double-sized hammock in my bedroom? (Complications: I can't drill holes into the wall, (rental) and I don't have access to power tools.)

Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I think you will find on this message board that none of us would have a hard time recommending a hammock bought off of Amazon, EBay, etc. There are simply too many much better made, more comfortable, lighter, etc hammocks made by the cottage vendors and they back their products as well. Check out a few of these hammocks and search for turtle dog stand for an easy to make hammock stand. There are also commercial versions of stands available from DutchWareGear as well. These will all fit a hammock better than most any Brazilian hammock stand will.

Hammock
    Bearded Hanger
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    LLG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Why not put some bolts in the wall instead of a stand? Could be better off in terms of space. Also I'd recommend picking up a standard Dutch hammock. Just a few bucks more but you'll enjoy it so much more.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    I think you will find on this message board that none of us would have a hard time recommending a hammock bought off of Amazon, EBay, etc. There are simply too many much better made, more comfortable, lighter, etc hammocks made by the cottage vendors and they back their products as well. Check out a few of these hammocks and search for turtle dog stand for an easy to make hammock stand. There are also commercial versions of stands available from DutchWareGear as well. These will all fit a hammock better than most any Brazilian hammock stand will.
    I looked at the DutchWareGear site, but the only stand I could find requires ground anchors, which seem like a bad idea indoors. Can you give me links? I'm ok with a different stand design, but it would either need to be a commercial product or a Ikea-level complicated kit; I don't have the equipment to do the turtle dog stands I saw tutorials for.

Quote Originally Posted by coachhahn View Post
    Why not put some bolts in the wall instead of a stand? Could be better off in terms of space. Also I'd recommend picking up a standard Dutch hammock. Just a few bucks more but you'll enjoy it so much more.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
    I rent. And it's from a corporation, so no sweet-talking them into it.

As for the hammock, I assume a "standard Dutch hammock" is a hammock from dutchwaregear, such as:
    https://dutchwaregear.com/11ft-netless.html
    I wouldn't mind paying the extra money, but I'm not sure what I would get for it. My primary complaint with my existing hammock is the size, and it's a similarly cheap ripstop nylon hammock.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Here's a link to the hammock stand.
    https://dutchwaregear.com/tato-gear-hammock-stand.html/

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    OK, I see what happened. It didn't have a good picture, and it came with stakes, so I thought the stakes were required. Looking around, they aren't.

I'm still not enthusiastic about this design, though:
    1) It's really expensive.
    2) More importantly, the length of the rail is over 13ft, plus the tripod sticks out farther, (I estimate a total length of 14.5'.) which means that it won't actually fit in my bedroom.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    HG WP
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Webbing / Buckles
    I'm in the same situation right now, I contacted dutch about the Tato stand, when the tripods are extended to the recommended width the entire length of the stand comes to about 17'. I currently have this:
    https://www.houzz.com/photos/3610788...nd-accessories
    but it is not high enough / or too long depending how you look at it for my WBBB or Dutch Chameleon.

Right now I'm looking at the Byer of Maine Ceara Hammock stand which has adjustable length, but I am a bit concerned that my hammock will still stretch too much to the point that it will bottom out on the ground. Anyways that's what i've been able to gather for my situation as I am in an apartment with about 16' of length to play with.

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Best advice I've ever heard on here regarding the "entry-level" hammocks like the ENO clones/WallyWorld specials is, "Buy your second hammock first".
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    HG WP
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Webbing / Buckles
    ^agreed, buy the right one and you won't have to buy a second

Hammock
    DIY 11' Single Layer Netless
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    MummyBag/Gemini UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & June Bugs
    Let me start by letting you know that I have a total of 3 nights in a hammock, so I am absolutely UNqualified to offer any expertise. But, opinions are like bellybuttons (everyone has one) so here's my *opinion.*

If you can afford the Dutch stand, it looks WAY better than the Amazon stand (its portable!), but it's out of my budget, for sure. If you don't have tools, making your own stand (as others have suggested) is going to be a challenge. I bet you can make a Turtle Dog stand with hand tools if you have them, and you can make it just the right size for your hammock/bedroom. Up to you if you want to give it a go. I'm always looking for a reason to buy more tools. Otherwise I say go for it with what you've found on amazon.

Regarding the hammock, there is wisdom in buying good products. If I were going to sleep in a hammock EVERY night, I would spend $63 on an 11' wide-style dutch hammock in a heartbeat, but their out of stock. I'm sure there are other options in the same price range, but I haven't been lurking long enough to know who's who yet for "cottage" shops. For me and my occasional nights in the backyard, my $30 kit is mighty comfy (although my straps stretch a bit, oh well). Where did you get your current single? I'm guessing it was less than $50 and held up just fine, you just want to upgrade to a double, right? One of the reasons I started hammocking is because its SO cheap to get into. You can make your own $20 no-sew hammock from a bedsheet and some rope if you really want to (not really suitable for long-term use by anyone over 5' tall, but you get the point). If you buy the $25 cheapie and you end up on your bedroom floor in the middle of the night, you're only out $25 and one sore butt. Big deal, and most likely it will last you for months and months. And don't think I'm just a cheapskate. I've spent more nights than I cared to on the ground. I HATE sleeping on the ground so I spent somewhere north of $100 on a ThermaRest LuxuryLite cot a few years back. Again, I was sleeping on it EVERY night for awhile, so it was worth it (to me). Only you can decide how much you want to spend on a hammock.

Good Luck!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast