Tarp
    WB MamaJamba
    Insulation
    HG |CDT
    Suspension
    Yes..
    Images

Fabric suggestion....

This summer I completed a DIY hammock in Hyper D 1.6. It was a smashing success and I love the fabric. I'd like to make a winter top cover but don't know what material is best. Obviously I could use the Hyper D in 1.6 again, but that seems like overkill for a top cover. I could go with 1.1. Or I can use something completely different, though complementary. What might be a good choice for top cover material?

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    This summer I completed a DIY hammock in Hyper D 1.6. It was a smashing success and I love the fabric. I'd like to make a winter top cover but don't know what material is best. Obviously I could use the Hyper D in 1.6 again, but that seems like overkill for a top cover. I could go with 1.1. Or I can use something completely different, though complementary. What might be a good choice for top cover material?
    I love the feel of hyperD. You could definitely use the 1.1 for a top quilt, especially the inside. Just be sure if you are making a down quilt, that you get the calendared fabric. If you are using climashield, it doesn't matter and you can use the uncalendared. Hope your quilt turns out great.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    Just me being me

Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Cuben/UGQ
    Insulation
    BoneFire,30* TQ
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    i would use a .9 oz or similar 15D material for a top cover. No reason for the extra weight of anything else IMO.
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

This is where I would absolutely love to see RSBTR release their .7 Robic without the PU coating. This would be an extremely light and breathable material yet strong enough for this kind of application. While I'm extremely loyal to RSBTR, a winter top cover is one area where I don't think they have the best available material. As soon as it's back in stock, I intend to use the .7 Ventum ripstop that Zpacks sells to make myself a topcover. YMMV.

Hammock
    Robic XL 11'
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ 0*, 20* sets
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    My thoughts ....I would fore go the top cover and spend the money on a 12' XL winter tarp...build one so you can enclose yourself in.
    Really cold weather say below 20f, cotton canvas is the best material for a top cover. Keeps wind at bay and spin drift off your hammock/quilts with out condensation issues.
    It is all about compromise, so in the end you have to figure out what is best for you and your climate/conditions. There is no right or wrong just a matter of figuring out what works for you.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB Winter Wooki
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Well, why not go with 1.0oz HyperD calendared? It would fit your 1.6oz HyperD hammock perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Well, why not go with 1.0oz HyperD calendared? It would fit your 1.6oz HyperD hammock perfectly.
    If at a given weight (1.0 oz for instance) you have the option between calendered and non, you should ALWAYS choose non-calendered for this application as it will be much more air permeable. MTTV tests have shown that Dutch's calendered fabrics (Argon 67 and 90) are much more breathable than similar calendered offering from RSBTR. In fact, HyperD1.0 in calendered is one of the lest breathable non-coated materials on the short list. The conclusion I have drawn to this is that the calendering process RSBTR uses is actually better, which make their fabrics more down proof, but they are less air permeable as a result. If you really want to use something under 1 OSY then use Argon. If you don't mind using something right at 1 OSY, the HyperD 1.0 Non-calendered has been found to be one of the most breathable out there with Robic 1.0 (discontinued) a close second.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB Winter Wooki
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HoosierT View Post
    If at a given weight (1.0 oz for instance) you have the option between calendered and non, you should ALWAYS choose non-calendered for this application as it will be much more air permeable. MTTV tests have shown that Dutch's calendered fabrics (Argon 67 and 90) are much more breathable than similar calendered offering from RSBTR. In fact, HyperD1.0 in calendered is one of the lest breathable non-coated materials on the short list. The conclusion I have drawn to this is that the calendering process RSBTR uses is actually better, which make their fabrics more down proof, but they are less air permeable as a result. If you really want to use something under 1 OSY then use Argon. If you don't mind using something right at 1 OSY, the HyperD 1.0 Non-calendered has been found to be one of the most breathable out there with Robic 1.0 (discontinued) a close second.
    That's good information, thanks. But I guess if you want the best wind protection possible, calendared is the way to go. Not saying that I would use a calendared fabric for a top cover. I actually don't like top covers much, because they always suffer from a lack of (good) air. And for a sock I have thought about using a calendared fabric on the bottom half, and an uncalendared fabric on the top half to get the best from both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    That's good information, thanks. But I guess if you want the best wind protection possible, calendared is the way to go. Not saying that I would use a calendared fabric for a top cover. I actually don't like top covers much, because they always suffer from a lack of (good) air. And for a sock I have thought about using a calendared fabric on the bottom half, and an uncalendared fabric on the top half to get the best from both worlds.
    Yea are correct, calendering would make it more wind resistant which would be desirable for some uses. But, since you're breathing inside the top cover (unlike a wind shirt for example) you would likely want to put breathability ahead of wind resistance. Also, for a top cover, it shouldn't need actual wind resistance if being used under a tarp. The tarp should block the wind while the top cover simply hold some of your body heat inside. If someone desired to use the top cover in a winter wind without a tarp over them then it might actually be wise to use the calendered fabric. So I suppose the material used for the top cover can and should actually be determined by someone's use case which I'm not sure has been discussed much.

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by HoosierT View Post
    You're pretty much spot on here, but I can provide a bit more detail. About 2 years ago, we actually added an additional, downproof specific coating to the 1.0 HyperD calendered line. We mainly did this to get maximum downproofness. As it turns out, this is pretty common practice in commercial goods like jackets and sleeping bags to ensure near 100% downproofness.

We actually apply this downproof coating to the outer face of the fabric, so in addition to downproofness, it gives a really soft, silky hand feel and better water resistance than just a DWR treatment. The trade, as you mentioned, is lower breathability and air perm.
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."