Segmart double
    Tarp
    Still researching
    Insulation
    Still learning
    Suspension
    Carabiners/straps

30 degree angle

Is the desired 30 degree angle when the hammock is empty or occupied? On these forums and on other sites online, I have read both ways. 😃

Thank you

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Ideally when occupied and it gets easier with practice.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmrcleo View Post
    Is the desired 30 degree angle when the hammock is empty or occupied? On these forums and on other sites online, I have read both ways. ��

Thank you
    Most of use eye ball the 30 degrees empty as a starting point. Climb in and adjust accordingly for comfort. It would be kinda hard to use any of the hang angle measuring devices when you are in the hammock.

One of the biggest post 30 degree tweeks is to raise the foot end of the hammock 6-12".

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Don't sweat it. Just hang the hammock so that it's comfortable. If the hammock has a ridgeline, you don't have to pay attention to the hang angle. When the ridgeline has the right tension, the hang angle is perfect. And if you don't have a ridgeline, get one. It will help you a lot hanging your hammock right consistently.

Hammock
    Chameleon 2.4
    Tarp
    WB Mini/Super Flys
    Insulation
    LL Reaper&WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Beetle/Dyneema/15'

Ridge line seems too tight

Recieved a Cameleon a couple weeks ago and it is my first hammock with a ridge line. When I lay in it the ridgeline is very tight and im worried it will snap or rip part of the fabric.

Anyone have advise for a newbie hanger how to avoid that or even if it is a problem at all?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorSharp View Post
    Recieved a Cameleon a couple weeks ago and it is my first hammock with a ridge line. When I lay in it the ridgeline is very tight and im worried it will snap or rip part of the fabric.

Anyone have advise for a newbie hanger how to avoid that or even if it is a problem at all?
    I don't know what rope the Chameleon ridgeline is made of, but seeing that even 1.75mm Lash-It has a breaking strength of 500lbs, the ridgeline would need to be *really* tight to snap.

If you want your ridgeline to be less tight, increase the hang angle. That means pushing the tree straps higher up the tree and lengthening the suspension. If you can't get your suspension higher, find trees closer together.

If you want your ridgeline to be tighter, decrease the hang angle. That means pulling the tree straps lower down the tree and shortening the suspension.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorSharp View Post

I am no fan of guitar string tight RL. I usually raise the tree straps and lower/readjust the hammocks distance from the ground via the whoopie or buckle this increase the angle and you know you have it right when there is a slight sag in the RL with NO ONE in it.
    Don't be afraid to experiment. You will not break anything.
    hth

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1/BIAS WW
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* Zep/20* FJ
    Suspension
    Elephant Trunks
    I've always followed Brandon's method, https://youtu.be/YgqbxZLV4RU

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Don't sweat it. Just hang the hammock so that it's comfortable. If the hammock has a ridgeline, you don't have to pay attention to the hang angle. When the ridgeline has the right tension, the hang angle is perfect. And if you don't have a ridgeline, get one. It will help you a lot hanging your hammock right consistently.
    Herein lies the rub (small as it may be). A 30 degree angle and, additionally, a/the hang calculator are a very good starting point when emplacing a ridgeline for the first time. Even that will be trial and error. Once that is set to your desired comfort level of sag, subsequent hangs can be modified (height of attachment, length between attachment points, etc.) simply by gauging the sag of the ridgeline.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
    John Steinbeck

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSky! View Post
    Herein lies the rub (small as it may be). A 30 degree angle and, additionally, a/the hang calculator are a very good starting point when emplacing a ridgeline for the first time. Even that will be trial and error. Once that is set to your desired comfort level of sag, subsequent hangs can be modified (height of attachment, length between attachment points, etc.) simply by gauging the sag of the ridgeline.
    Just measure the length of your hammock and set the ridgeline at roughly 85% of the length. Then shorten and/or lengthen it incrementally until you found the sweet spot. No need to find a 30° angle first.

I think that everybody will be able to hang a hammock with an angle somewhere between 20° and 45° by using the finger pistol. I assumed that the OP wanted to know how to get to *exactly* 30°, which is not really necessary. It's better to let the hammock tell you which angle makes it most comfortable. And an adjustable ridgeline will help with discovering that angle and enables you to find it consistently without actually needing to know if the angle is 31° or 28°.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast