Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From PA

From PA

Hi all,

Newbie here from somewhere in Chester County, PA, just introducing myself since I've been lurking for a little while now.

An all around great human being recently pointed me towards hammock camping. I bought an ENO Onelink on sale and had my first hammock backpacking trip, a long weekend solo trip a couple weeks ago. Then we went on a second one together the weekend after. After the same fantastic gentleman pointed me towards this forum, I've been doing some research and now looking ahead towards upgrading some things and putting some winter gear together to keep the momentum going, for more and more frequent trips.

Can't speak for him but I've had a great couple weekends in a row and I'm definitely re-discovering my love of hiking and backpacking. This hammock thing is kind of a whole new experience and perspective, very exciting. I think just the kind of shot in the arm I've been looking for.

Have a tiny but of hiking and backpacking experience but most of that was 1.5 to 2 decades ago with the kind of Good-Will and k-mart gear one was able to get with an $8/hr job (I survived...luck of the young I suppose) so this hammock thing is all new. Most recent trips up until a couple weeks ago have just been day trip hikes or car camping. Don't get me wrong, I love a good day hike or road trip but being able to carry not just shelter but also comfort, convenience and versatility around on your back is awesome.

Guess that's about it for now, just getting a little fix in before bed so I can get up and go to work tomorrow in order to fund future hammock adventures as well as the other less fun and interesting things.

I do have an "upgrade path"sort of question, looking for some input and opinions on some things but I'll do some more reading and see if maybe there isn't a better area of the forum to post that.

Thanks, hope you are all enjoying yourselves!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Welcome to the forum. Let us know if you have any questions. This is the right place for all things hammock.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Welcome from Northern Arkansas! Enjoy the forums, they are a wealth of information, and a great place to discover the joy of the hang!

Hammock
    DH Raven/SLD Trail lair
    Tarp
    UGQ WD/SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DutchBuckle &Sling
    Welcome to the forums!!!
    When the wife asks, I simply say "Shug made me do it".

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Welcome from Cecil county MD. If your interested, I'm hosting a Mason Dixon Trail clean up hike and overnight hang Sept 30 here on the section of trail that goes between Perryville and North East. After the hike we will drive the 4 miles back to my place and hang down on my beach. Should be a fun, easy hike and hang with bonfire, food and anything you want to do out on the water. There is a post in the northeast sub forum of the trips section that has all the details. Your more than welcome to come and just hang too if your not up for the hike, or just come to check out everyone else's rigs to see how different people do things and ask any questions you might have. The hike is only gonna be about 6 or 8 miles, so nothing crazy and no huge hills or mountains to climb either.... Just any easy clean up hike to make sure the trail is in good condition and trim any branches , cut any downed trees and pick up any trash. Where about in Chester County are you located? When I was a kid I played ice hockey for a travel team in Delaware and we used to play games against the CC skating club and Upland day school @ " the barn" all the time. As an adult I've wondered if that place is still there since it really was a converted barn lol . There were several times where we played up there early in the season and the ice was super soft since it wasn't that cold out yet due to the lack of insulation in some areas. But checking kids into the chain link at the one end behind the net was always fun lol. But anyway, welcome to the forum and let me know if your interested in the hike/hang.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    welcome from NWPA, Erie Co.

Thanks all for the warm welcome, much appreciated.

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Hey Neighbor! !! I'm over in Montgomery CO. Not too far away! Come to the MAHHA!!!!
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    HQ Incub. 20
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Seems like there's a few of us new guys from PA. I just joined myself earlier this week from down in Franklin County.

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    Welcome from Richmond, Va. Grew up in Delawhere and spent a lot of time in that part of PA. Miss it.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast