Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Long
    Tarp
    HH stock (diamond)
    Insulation
    Incubator+Renegade
    Suspension
    huggers & whoopies
    I have always connected my tarp directly to my hammock suspension. I have a HH with the diamond fly and have stayed dry through many storms because the tarp goes down with the hammock when you get in, maintaining coverage. Self-tensioning guidelines keep it tight when you get in. I modified the suspension by cutting it and adding a binder at the place where tarp connects to the suspension. Tarp clips to the binder for the perfect location every time. Whoopies from straps to binder adjust for varied tree distances. Oh, and hammock in silnylon snake skins keeps the hammock dry during setup & takedown in the rain. Wet tarp can be packed with hammock because snake skins keep hammock dry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Another benefit with keeping the tarp separate is that you can quickly throw up the tarp at times that you have no intention of erecting your hammock.
    I often put my tarp up at lunchtime if it's either raining or threatening to rain. It provides protection against both rain and wind.
    If I needed to also hang my hammock then I probably wouldn't bother. It would turn a 1-2 minute operation into a 5+ minute operation and I'd probably just suffer through.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
    Another benefit with keeping the tarp separate is that you can quickly throw up the tarp at times that you have no intention of erecting your hammock.
    I often put my tarp up at lunchtime if it's either raining or threatening to rain. It provides protection against both rain and wind.
    If I needed to also hang my hammock then I probably wouldn't bother. It would turn a 1-2 minute operation into a 5+ minute operation and I'd probably just suffer through.
    I set up just my tarp without my hammock from time to time and still use the strap system in the video (except I now use whoopie hooks instead of biners).
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Quote Originally Posted by FireInMyBones View Post
    I set up just my tarp without my hammock from time to time and still use the strap system in the video (except I now use whoopie hooks instead of biners).
    I use Bonefire deluxe suspension. It works every time. No hassle. If I am camping in the same spot for several days, I sometimes use a traditional tarp suspension to give me more head room to lounge around. If I am backpacking, I use the Bonefire suspension because I am usually exhausted and just want simple and guaranteed dry gear.

I use a whoopie setup, but I have a setup very similar to (and highly influenced by) Bonefire. I have a small Dutch hook larksheaded to my whoopie which attaches to a small piece of lash-it at the tarp ridgeline. Then my hammock attaches to a whoopie hook, on the same whoopie suspension.

I just had to do some trig to figure out how long to make my continuous loops for the hammock to have a 30 degree hang angle, but now that they're done, I simply wrap the suspension around the tree and drop the tarp line and hammock continuous loops into their respective hooks. It's not the utmost in taut, but it's close, and I've never had a problem. Love the setup.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ccolclou View Post
    I use a whoopie setup, but I have a setup very similar to (and highly influenced by) Bonefire. I have a small Dutch hook larksheaded to my whoopie which attaches to a small piece of lash-it at the tarp ridgeline. Then my hammock attaches to a whoopie hook, on the same whoopie suspension.

I just had to do some trig to figure out how long to make my continuous loops for the hammock to have a 30 degree hang angle, but now that they're done, I simply wrap the suspension around the tree and drop the tarp line and hammock continuous loops into their respective hooks. It's not the utmost in taut, but it's close, and I've never had a problem. Love the setup.
    Could you post some pictures of how you have this rigged?

I have been exploring single line suspensions and would like to know more about how you're doing it...

I think your ideas are valid. Thus was my solution.
    https://youtu.be/RGOS0-XvQgk

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I don't see anything on your website about the suspension.. how do I get more info?
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

I'll see what I can do when I get home today.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    EE 20/30 Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks all for the input. There are lots of good concepts here and this definitely gets my creative juices flowing.

I am concerned about setting up in bad weather and keeping the hammock dry, but I think that I can devise a system that still works. I should be able to set the marlin spike hitch reasonably accurately based on the tarp length and just connect the tarp over the top of the hitch with a mini-biner. I could then still set the fly up first and add the hammock later. As long as I use shock cord on the tie outs I think it will flex enough to adapt to the angle change when I add a hammock an sit in it (I may have to adjust it later to get the sides taught but the important bit is keeping the hammock dry.)

At one point I really liked the idea of being able to set up the tarp independently from the hammock as an impromptu shelter. In practice, I have found that I was actually never tempted to do this in the course of a hike. If I am out in extended bad weather I'm just going to get wet no matter what I do so it never felt like there was much of a point in setting up a temporary shelter. Maybe if I wasn't trying to get miles and I actually stopped when it rained this would be a more valuable capability to me

So here's mine: suspension 3.jpg suspension closeup2.jpg suspension closeup.jpg

I just let the whoopie hook and larksheaded dutch hook slide to the low point of the whoopie sling, so it preserves the whoopie sling adjustability, and attach the tarp and hammock on. In good weather, I don't attach the tarp; if I'm not sure, I attach but leave it in snakeskins above me, and in bad weather it's deployed in full!

Pics needed when you decide what you are doing!

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    I just have a prusik knot on my hammock suspension line that I connect my tarp to, works great. If I want it close to the top of the hammock I will leave the Ridgeline a little looser and tighten the sides down. If I want it up high I tighten the Ridgeline tight before I pull the sides down. Since mine is connected to the suspension line I can hang the tarp without the hammock no problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Carrico; 09-21-2017 at 09:31.
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast