Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks

NJ > Hawkins Bridge > November 24th - 26th, 2017 > 6th Annual NJ Thanksgiving Weekend Hang

The summer humidity is gone, the nights are getting colder, and that can only mean one thing: fall is almost here.

Naturally, it’s time to start planning for the 6th Annual NJ Thanksgiving Hang!

Hard to believe it’s been 6 years since the first trip out into the Pine Barrens, where this all started …

Heading into our 6th year, we’ve come to a realization: what started out as a small annual backpacking trip over the holiday weekend has grown into something much bigger, and to be honest has become less about the hiking and more about getting together to camp and eat – and eat well! If you’ve come in a previous year, you know that we go all out on food for this hang, and this year is no exception!

So this time around, we’re making a change – we’re going to host in a (remote) drive in camp. This allows for a few things:

1.) First, it removes any limitations people may have had in the past about not being able/willing to hike in, or about weather conditions – since it’s car camping, you can bring whatever you might need.
    2.) Second, it cuts down on the time needed to drop supplies in the woods and then Sherpa them all in (and out) of the woods, giving us more time to spend in camp relaxing, instead of carrying bundles of firewood and carts of gear 3/4ths of a mile to camp.
    3.) Third, and most importantly, it allows us to up our game as far as menu and setup goes.

So check out the details below, and put it on your calendar!

When:

Thanksgiving Weekend (#optoutside), Friday, November 24th to Sunday, November 26th - arrive anytime after 12pm on Friday.

Where:

This year, we’ll be at Hawkins Bridge Campground. We’ve reserved Group Site D already, and we’ll grab additional sites as needed to accommodate our numbers.

NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT RESERVE ANY ADDITIONAL SITES AT THIS TIME!

We may look to book additional sites as our numbers round out. We’ll handle getting the ones that are best suited for hammocks, but having attendees reserve sites on their own will confuse things and throw a wrench in the overall budget. We’ll update as we go, to let everyone know if we need to get additional sites, and which ones, when that time comes.

While this is a hammock-centric gathering, tent/ground sleepers are more than welcome!

How:

Please sign up using THIS FORM and make sure to fill out all the required fields. If you have any food allergies or special dietary needs, please let us know so we can plan ahead for you. You’ll be able to modify your submission at a later time if needed, just save the confirmation link that’s provided once you submit.

You can view the current spreadsheet HERE

What Is There To Do:

Other than relax, hang out in the woods, and eat? If you need more, don’t worry - since we’ll be at a drive in spot, the options for other things to do on Saturday are expanded. There’s hiking nearby for those that want to get some exercise (we can arrange a shuttle). There’s also water access, for anyone brave enough to do some November paddling (or swimming). There’s plenty of local history to explore as well. We’ll also be bringing our deluxe warming tent, some camp games, and can potentially organize some other camp activities for anyone interested. Since it’s car camping, feel free to bring whatever you like to pass the time.

Did We Mention the Food:

We weren’t kidding when we said this was about eating well. Here’s the current tentative menu*, to give you an idea:

Friday Dinner: shredded chicken tacos, mango/black bean/roasted corn salad, guacamole, assorted sides/fixin’s (vegetarian version available)

Friday Late Night: brats

Saturday Breakfast: sausage gravy (omelets for the vegetarians), biscuits, potatoes, fresh roasted coffee

Saturday Lunch: family style picnic - hot dogs, baked beans, pasta salad, potato salad, cold sandwiches, chips, etc. (if you want to hike, we'll pack you a lunch)

Saturday Dinner: bacon wrapped scallops, smoked brisket, grilled shrimp, slaw, Dutch oven mac & cheese, vegetable side (vegetarian option TBD)

Saturday Dessert: Dutch oven apple cranberry cobbler

Sunday Breakfast: Huevos Rancheros, bacon, brats, tortillas, fresh roasted coffee

*(Menu subject to change, based on attendance and other factors - significant alterations to the menu may effect the overall cost)

Cost:

The cost of the full weekend this year will be $60 per adult**, all inclusive. This covers 5 camp-gourmet meals prepared for you (Friday dinner, Saturday breakfast/lunch/dinner, Sunday breakfast), group gear/supplies, firewood, and all fees. All you have to do is show up, and bring your personal camping gear - everything else will be taken care of! That averages out to just $12/meal, and trust us, you won’t be able to eat like this for that little anywhere else - make sure to come hungry, and let us know if there are any special dietary considerations we need to be aware of (we’ll do our best to be accommodating to all).

If you are only able to attend one night or the other, don’t worry - we’d still love to have you! In that case, the cost would be $25 for Friday night only, and $35 for Saturday night only (show up anytime Saturday).

**We want to encourage people of all ages to attend, so assuming we have enough adults sign up, anyone under 18 will be able to attend free of charge. Otherwise there will be a minimal $10/night charge, to help defray costs.

A Note On Temps/Cold Weather Camping:

In years past temps have ranged from chilly to downright cold (we’ve seen ranges from 40’s during the day down to teens at night), so if you think you may need any gear - or advice on what you’ll need - please speak up, and don’t be afraid to ask. We’re a friendly group, and the last thing we want is for someone to spend the weekend cold because they didn’t ask for help. Many of us may have extra equipment that we can lend if you don’t think your gear will handle the weather, so don’t let that be a deterrent.

Remember to stay well hydrated, and warm beverages will be available as needed. We’ll also have our HQ tent with woodstove for warming, so don’t be shy, and make use of it.

That should cover all the important details. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me, NJRedneck, or Ratdog for more info.

We hope you can join us, for another awesome Thanksgiving weekend in the woods!
    Last edited by silentorpheus; 09-18-2017 at 19:14.

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    This is a good time. Hopefully my schedule will allow.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by georgecarr View Post
    This is a good time. Hopefully my schedule will allow.
    Would be great to see you, George - hopefully you can make it. Figured we'd get the trip post up extra early this year, to give people plenty of time to plan ahead.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Added a link in the OP so that the current list of who's attending can be viewed, for those interested. Or you can find it here:

SPREADSHEET

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    oooh yeah!!!
    Honor guide me

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    wow! I'm gonna do everything I can to make this trip!
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    Looks great guys. Nice job!
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Where's the pulled pork? I can't believe I got to beg for pulled pork. Am I the only Southerner around here?

Nothing like a pulled pork sandwich with some salsa verde and a little barbecue sauce.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Where's the pulled pork? I can't believe I got to beg for pulled pork. Am I the only Southerner around here?

Nothing like a pulled pork sandwich with some salsa verde and a little barbecue sauce.
    The intention was to try and vary things a little from years past - we've done pork tenderloin, ribs, pulled pork ... figured we haven't done chicken yet. But hey, I'm not tied to fowl. I will weigh your proposal (truth is I think chicken and pork shoulder are similarly priced, and similarly cooked, so likely interchangeable)

You just have something against chickens, don't you? Still mad about the eye?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I like pig. Pig is good. Pig rules!
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 09-18-2017 at 22:12.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast