Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge/DD Travel
    Tarp
    Kathmandu/Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped/DIY UB

Grizz inspired Bridge

I've been working on a bridge hammock design ever since I saw GrizzlyAdams very cool design at a meet at Loch Ken last year, (with Grizz guiding me via pm), I made a full size mock up from some sail ripstop I had available, just to try out various ideas and dimensions, from that I created this design.

I used simple non coated rip stop from a kite building site, its light but its not soft, it crackles if you know what I mean, luckily it didn't bother me while I lay in it.

Finished dimensions are;

Length = 80"
    Head width 50"
    Foot width 38"
    Depth of hammock 16"
    There's a 6" curve on the sides, nothing special, I used a section of plastic pipe, which makes the waist at its smallest 36"
    Spreader bars; 36" at the head, 18" at the foot. (with the parabolic curve I used it makes the foot end quite tight, I will increase the width to perhaps 42" for the next one, and maybe increasing the spreader bar to 20".

BTW sewing parabolic curves is a total pain in the rear, I ended up sewing a seam at the 1" mark, which is fairly easy, and then doubling the fabric to create the final seam, (not fun )

At each corner I beefed it up by sewing up a rectangular section of mat'l into a tube and then flattening them and sewing them in all around and crossed, this would be where I mounted the webbing straps.

I took a 12" section of webbing (its personal safety rated) halved it and sewed it up at the 3/4" mark and the end, then used 3 bar tacks to connect it to the hammock.

As you can see I used Autocad to design it (I’m a mechanical engineer)

I wanted to try it out this weekend at a canoe camping weekend I had arranged with a few friends, see Shewies post
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=14078

So I fitted a rudimentary suspension rig on it, using some amsteel blue I had kicking around, I ordered some Easton poles from Quest outfitters (Thanks Grizz for the link) to use as separator bars, and I was ready to rock, (but not too much, I hope).

Suspension

Head end

I wanted to try out the pad I'm taking to the Artic in a couple of weeks its supposedly rated to -60c, so used that plus an old 3/4 length thermarest (just as a safety) as insulation, it got well below freezing both nights, and I was fine.

The second morning, btw Bridge Hammocks need to be set lower just so you can get into them !, on Friday night when I set it up I did my usual, as per my Blackbird, my bridge doesn't curve down, I couldn't get into it I had to totally reset it.

And finally the bridge packed, no tree huggers

Next stage is a midge net for the summer and a cold weather covering, you can see the layout on the Autocad drawing, three sides will have 10mm velcro, while the forth will have a zip for exit/entry, the velcro will probably be backed up with a few toggles, haven't finalized that bit yet.

It will use 2 spreader bars 18" wide, using 6mm aluminium tube (which will fit inside the header spreader bars) and the constant distance cord (yellow cord) to hang from, this should create a 3d space I can sit up in.

Cheers

Stephen

Any questions or close up photos needed let me now.
    Last edited by Gailainne; 02-01-2010 at 15:20.

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    That's awesomesauce!
    I have heard your confession I know who you blame
    If you had it all back you'd just lose it again
    Can't bank on redemption if you ain't saved
    Don't bring me your tales of temptation and loss
    Don't bring me the pieces of your shattered cross

-- Stuart Adamson

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Great bit of kit I must say. I should have had a lie in it but I forgot to ask.

I must admit though, I was expecting to hear a thump followed by a barage of obsenities but you slept on through no problem.

Taking orders yet ?

Images
    Very nice well done. Quite tempted to try and make one of these and seeing yours even more so. Was it hard to make??

Nigel

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    very nice Stephen. I want that autocad drawing as a desktop image for my computer <grin>

So yes, the 18" foot end is different, takes a little getting used to. The main reason I went that way is that Easton poles come in 18" lengths. I have a tube cutter now though, and my next one will be a little wider at the foot, I'm thinking 24". I'll just take one of the Easton tubes and cut off 12".

How thick was the pad that you're bringing Way Up North? I have had a 2.5" inflatable pad in my similarly dimensioned bridge, and I sure felt "up high" in the hammock. Didn't feel in danger of tipping over and falling out though, and didn't.

cheers
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    DIY Bridge/DD Travel
    Tarp
    Kathmandu/Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped/DIY UB
    Thanks guys

Grizz it was a fun project, the pad is a Multimat its 12mm thick, my exped down mat is 90 mm thick, if I rolled over in the middle of the night on that I would be in jeopardy of rolling right out of the hammock .

I kept the suspension length to 38", there was no swing at all, thankfully, its what I disliked about the jacks bridge, so I may shorten it, its quite long and part of the triangle is outside the tarp.

Next is a down underblanket to match.

Wow, I guess being a mechanical engenieer really helps when it comes to making hammocks, lol.
    Once again it is a great job you have done. congratulations!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge/DD Travel
    Tarp
    Kathmandu/Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped/DIY UB
    I hate to have to report the demise of my Grizz inspired bridge, I woke up around 2:00 this morning to hear the dreaded ripping noise , it stopped, and I had time to think "that's not good" then ripppp, thump as I landed on the deck, I had slung it pretty low so there was only around 300mm (12") to go .

The whole rectangular reinforced section on the right head end had ripped along the sewing line, its taken it out completely all the way around, the sewing is still intact, it was the material that failed, it lasted 4 outings all weekend trips.

Back to the drawing board on 2 fronts, slightly stronger material, (this was rip stop kite fabric, very light), and a better reinforcing design, probably along the lines of what's used in sails to reinforce the clew, or reefing points.

Ah well gives me a chance to try a wider foot area, and a few other things I've thought of in my next design.

Stephen

Can you mention which fabric specifically you used and your weight, to give those of us wanting to make something similar a baseline to avoid?

I'm wanting to get started on one and go as light as possible with the fabric, but I don't want to break my spine

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Stephen... thats a shame.

Have you gotten your package yet? Im interested to hear how its going to work out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast