Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Havasupai Hike in Early October

Hello community,

just wondering if any of you have ever hanged in Havasupai in early October. I plan to go there in a few weeks and just trying to figure out the best way to hammock - via sleeping bag or a down blanket, with the underquilt.

The weather is suppose to reach about 46F with a high of 75/6. I've never hung at this low of a temperature before.

That's awesome you were able to score a permit! In general an underquilt would always be my preference, but you could use a pad and be fine. I've only gone in from the river side, so I haven't stayed at the campground.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG econ30
    Suspension
    WS/strap/Cinch bug
    I made this trip in July this year, so definitely no insulation was needed . Based on projected temps you provided, I'd go with UQ. Plenty of trees to hang. We chose a campsite near the beginning of the campground (Closer to Havasu falls) because we were with a large group and took the first one available that could accommodate the group size. I found the campsites further down (Closer to Mooney falls) to be better. Just more picturesque. Also FYI - not sure if you've been there before, but the squirrels were a major problem! We tried several ways to hang our packs, but some were ruined by squirrels tearing/biting into side pockets etc. The solution that worked was hanging packs by the thinnest line possible, e.g. heavy fishing line or Zingit/Lashit, and high above the ground, away from tree trunks. The thinner the line the less likely they are able to climb down the line to your pack. Highly recommend taking like 20-30 lb test fishing line and hanging packs/food bags. Anyway, hope that helps, and enjoy!!!

that's no joke....down on the river the crows can open backpacks and the ringtail cats will climb in the boats and open hatches and steal food lol smart critters down there

Wow thanks for the tips guys! Yes. I am so stoked for this trip! Thank you especially for the fishing line tip. I've been nervous about that.

What's the best way to protect my backpack? In my hammock?

Hammock
    Homebrew Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff
    Don’t leave your pack on the ground. Hang it from your hammock at night and carry it with you in the day.

I agree that a robust food bag that seals well is a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Homebrew Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff
    You do have a permit, right? Don’t hike in without a permit reservation.

Hammock
    Homebrew Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff
    On last thought: it’s colder there than the weather would seem to indicate. The canyon is quite narrow so you don’t get a lot of sun.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG econ30
    Suspension
    WS/strap/Cinch bug
    They were not an issue at night, however I did have some sort of a mouse scurry across my mosquito net until I launched him to the ground with a tap on the netting. The squirrels are out during the day, most likely when you're swimming at one of the waterfalls, and therefore probably without backpack. I would hang it via fishing line or similar even if you don't have food in it. It seems like those squirrels have been trained to dig through hip pockets and other zippered pouches.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Tarp
    Cave Creek Hammock
    Insulation
    Amok Fjøl XL
    Suspension
    Amok suspension
    I went last year at the end of Sept and used my JRB UQ and a light top quilt. It got chilly at night, but not bad at all. Like someone above here said, it's cooler there for sure. And the little rodents will grab stuff - 10 minutes drifting off for a nap and forgot my bag of peanuts next to my shoes - GONE! I heard them leaving! I just hung my backpack on my hammock and used a bear bag for my food. What an amazing trip. Plenty of trees for hanging!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast