Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY "warbird"
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut silnyl
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Hammock Camping Not Allowed?

I've read that some places (e.g. Philmont Scout Ranch) won't allow hammock camping due to damage to trees (or other reasons)? I don't see how that could be the case if webbing is used on the trees and the trees are of sufficient weight to bear the load. I know I'm preaching to the choir in regards to how much more hammocks would seem to follow LNT priciples.

Is this encountered often? What have been your experiences with this?

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    There's probably some basis for it. Many hammocks are sold with rope suspensions, bought by unsophisticated folk who simply don't know any better. I would bet that those hammocks represent over half of the market.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    in your example of philmont scout ranch more then likely they dont want hammocks cause they are teaching certain ways of camping and trekking there i believe they have a recommended list of items for you to bring

They teach what they know they may not have hammock savy instructors i think most of there stuff is tarp based? Also as we all know hammocks have their limits (places with no trees of sufficient size so they try to keep with what they can use everywhere.

I would imagine most of the hammock market is made of people using the traditional spreader net type hammocks and those are probably bolted into trees in yards and stuff i doubt many people use the rope around the tree as might be thought that is in the USA i know else where in the world they do whatever is best for them which in S america does seem to be rope directly around the tree but they dont seem to do much harm.

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I do wonder why people are so up in arms about the rope on the tree? Deer come along and rub the bark off the whole bottom of many trees and so do boars and beavers chew them to the ground. I normally spend one night in a spot then move on even if i used rope it would not do enough damage to cause a tree harm in one night.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsawyer222 View Post
    I do wonder why people are so up in arms about the rope on the tree? Deer come along and rub the bark off the whole bottom of many trees and so do boars and beavers chew them to the ground. I normally spend one night in a spot then move on even if i used rope it would not do enough damage to cause a tree harm in one night.
    If that were always the case, you'd be spot on.

In heavily utilized public areas, where smaller trees have already been removed, hence, no recruitment, the loss of mature trees is a valid concern.
    Dave

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    But what if the same tree was used multiple times uncontrolled as to how to do it, and by a large number of people, and in a short time period, very soon you will have damage to the tree. The bark on a tree helps to prevent desease by preventing exposure to the interior. Something people may not think about is that in a highly used area the environment takes a whole lot of abuse. At Philmont Scout Ranch the main hiking season takes place only in the middle third of the year and a very large number of scouts use the ranch at the same time, and also the black bear population is very healthy, but due to close management/education that is used to preserve the environment for everybody to enjoy it has and will control to be around and be useable. Like in the Brad Paisely song--Make no mistake about it, every prayer you say is heard, but sometimes the answer is no, just becuase damage done to trees can and does happen naturally, doesn't mean that as responsible custodians of the environment that we should add to what nature already provides, two wrongs don't make a right. Sometimes and in some places it is good that we have other people that are doing what the environment NEEDS so that it will be around for a very long time for everyone one to enjoy.
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

Hammock
    eno single nest
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    sleep pad and bag
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    I agree with Barefoot Child, most of the scouts that go to Philmont Scout Ranch are only used to using tents but if they put up and took down different hammock systems over a period of time in the same general place the trees wouldn't stand much of a chance, a hammock strap from time to time might not be bad but if you continuously wear at the bark it will damage the tree. My guess is that they are keeping it as simple as possible so that there is little chance of confusion in the rules for the larger majority of the scouts attending, because organizing a trip like Philmont and worrying over the rules for an exception could be a good headache waiting to happen.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Gosh, sounds like we have a mission folks, to edumacate the youth of America, along with elder park rangers as to why hammocks should be encouraged, as opposed to tent camp clearings that do the same damage, albeit without the immediately noticeable effects that bad hammocking leaves behind.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    go stealth maybe? got a camo tarp? =) Go remote too.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast