DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Pending
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Sewing machine Tension

I am having a problem knotting of of my stiches. I am almost finished with a large tarp ,which I will be proudly posting soon. But I just got some 1.0 robic xl & wanted to make a hammock for an afternoon hang. So I grabbed some scrap robic to make test my stiching with new material & can't seem to get it right. I've tried setting both the lower & upper tensioners in all kinds of different ways, different lengths. I have a Singer heavy duty. 20170923_101223.jpg

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel Hanger View Post
    I am having a problem knotting of of my stiches. I am almost finished with a large tarp ,which I will be proudly posting soon. But I just got some 1.0 robic xl & wanted to make a hammock for an afternoon hang. So I grabbed some scrap robic to make test my stiching with new material & can't seem to get it right. I've tried setting both the lower & upper tensioners in all kinds of different ways, different lengths. I have a Singer heavy duty. 20170923_101223.jpg
    That definitely looks like a tension problem. I have always been told to not mess with the lower tension unless you really know what you are doing...I do not, so I only adjust top tension. I have a heavy duty Singer as well. For that fabric, I would have a tension around 4 of 5 being my machine's highest. Perhaps start there and adjust accordingly. Be 100% sure your machine is threaded correctly, too. I've had mine slip out of a hook and I didn't realize it. Also, Robic is very thin. You will want to use a thin needle. Hope that helps. Let us know how it turns out.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 1.0
    Tarp
    RSBTR DIY Hex 12
    Insulation
    DIY APEX UQ/ TQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE
    Is this the top or bottom, as you stitch it? If top then top tension is too much. If bottom then top tension is too loose.
    2nd junebugdawn rethread the machine, because if something slipped off it will cause this problem as well. At least that’s been my experience with the same machine.
    Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would double check that you have not missed one of the washer tension points. It's easy for the thread to come out or go behind those.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Pending
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Wow. Little things. I went over everything again. Rethreaded the top, went to rethread the bottom & noticed my bobbin thread came out of the hook & was coming out directly from the bobbin up. Spent a lot of tweaking the machine for nothing. Learning the hard way, as usual. Thanks for the replies

Hammock
    DIY: HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY UQ &amp; TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel Hanger View Post
    Wow. Little things. I went over everything again. Rethreaded the top, went to rethread the bottom & noticed my bobbin thread came out of the hook & was coming out directly from the bobbin up. Spent a lot of tweaking the machine for nothing. Learning the hard way, as usual. Thanks for the replies
    Yup. I was gonna post I once almost gave up on my machine because I couldn't get the tension right. Turned out, I missed the right spot when I loaded my bobbin!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    It's good to learn how to adjust both the bobbin and top thread tension. For my Pfaff I find that the bobbin thread tension is set correctly if I thread the bobbin case and hold the thread and the bobbin in its case remains hanging in the air. If I give it a bit of a flick, the bobbin drops but then quickly stops. It should flow evenly and not be too tight or too loose (the Goldilocks rule). Adjust in less than 1/4 turn increments of the screw.

Once I have the bobbin tension set correctly the top is easy to set by running some thread and looking at the results. If there are loops on the top, the top tension is too tight (set top to a lower number) if the loops are on the bottom the bottom is too tight (with regards to the top but I've already set the bottom so I need to adjust the top, i.e., tighten, set top to a higher number).

I find that once I have the tension set I don't have to reset the tension unless I switch to a different thread that's either much thinner or thicker. Since 99% of my Hiking DIY sewing is using the same type Gutterman thread, once set I never need to change.

Still, it's easy to go off the rails when you aren't thinking. I recently took my machine in for service because I was getting zero tension on the top no matter what I did. It turns out that for my machine, the tension isn't engaged when the foot is raised and I was threading the needle with the foot raised and couldn't figure out why there wasn't any friction on the thread. I have no idea what I was thinking. Everything was adjusted perfectly. Dooh.

• + New Posts