Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Suspension
    slapstraps

Hello from NW Georgia

I'm new to both the forum and the hammock. My 30th birthday present was an ENO double nest hammock. I love hiking and would like to venture into camping...but I have no clue where to start (other than making my purchase). I have not invested in a bug net or a rainfly as of yet. I did purchase the straps to hang the hammock. I have mainly been using the hammock around our land in order to get used to it. So, how do I get from the backyard to some trails with a group of people than know more than I?

Hammock
    BB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    MacCat SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images

Howdy from Texas!

Hey NikkiW,

Welcome to the forum. You've picked the right place to get info. There is a wealth of info here. Feel free to post questions. I'm sure someone will be able to answer.

B5

Hammock
    BB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    MacCat SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images

Group Hangs

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiW View Post
    I have mainly been using the hammock around our land in order to get used to it. So, how do I get from the backyard to some trails with a group of people than know more than I?

You can look in the trip Planning forum for any Georgia hangs. If there aren't you could post a message and see if anyone from Ga. is interested.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Welcome to the forum Nikki. As someone has said look up georgia trips and see what's up. In fact i believe there's a hang coming up soon. I'm sure some other southerner's will comment soon.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    H.H.
    Tarp
    Claytor/ DPM basha
    Insulation
    USGI ground pad
    Hi and welcome aboard.

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    Hi, Nikki...

I'd start out with Ed Speers Hammock Camping book. Then spend a LOT of time reading the posts here....there are so many different options. Also, there are lots of videos. search hammock camping at youtube for lots more.

I'm ahead of you and have finally ordered some goodies from several of our forum members who have their own cottage industries going.

I have 2 Byers of Maine Moskito Travellers and a Treklight double.

I ordered 1" seatbelt straps, dutch clips (put dutch clips in search field), and the long chain loop/link (from Arrowhead Equipment)> It's a lot bulkier than my Byers micro-rope but I feel guilty using rope.

I have a HH (look for the glossary - where is it anyway? - Hennessy Hammocks) 10 x 12 polyester tarp and it's quite bulky. So, I've ordered an 11 x 10 four-season silnylon tarp from Scott LIttlefield at Backwoods Daydreamers (in the Forums section - scroll down and you'll see that most of them have their own section.

So, now I'm researching about ways/equipment to hang the tarp. I have 6 JRB (Jacks r Better) tensioners (guylines with stretchy tubes to keep the tautness of the tarp)...and I'm waiting for Opie to fine tune his tarp ridge line. I'm also thinking of getting his structural ridgeline for the hammock - apparently, you adjust it to your perfect hanging sag and then it stays that way each time.

I kept hearing about whoopie slings, but it was more than I could deal with. Anyway, I thought they went with tarps. (I know...but it can be overwhelming to newbies). Now, I kinda wish I'd gone that way. As I understand it, you have much shorter straps to protect the tree and then the whooopie slings (dot com or click on it whenever you see a message from Opie) are adjustable and very light and small. (I'll probably get some later).

someone else (sorry) has a really simple way (someone posted a video) of attaching the tarp with (I think) something similar to the way a whoopie sling works, except it just goes from the edge of the tarp to the tree. ie no ridgeline. that's a personal preference thing.

the bottom line is that you're lucky living in GA where you are more likely to be able to go to a hang and see lots of different options.

I still need to get a bugnet for my treklight. most of the commercial ones seem to be in the $50-60 range (and you would need a ridgeline). I have several yards of no see 'um neeting and was going to try and make one, but yesterday I ordered something to see how I could make it work.

go to the Hammocks for Haiti section and look for the message that posted several bug net options. one of them is (for $18-19 plus S/h = $24-25) is a no see um mesh that goes over a cot. IOW, it's rectangular. what I though was really interesting is that it seems to have a floor.

I'll have to play around with it to see how I can make it work.

sandy in miami

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Welcome to hammocking Nikki. I think you'll like sleeping in the comfort of a hammock far better than on a pad on the ground.
    And I think there will be more weekend hangs coming up soon, & not to far away from you.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    Well, probably the closest group hang that's going to be coming up any time soon is going to be the SEHHA in the spring. It's hosted by Ed Speer, who's book was recommended to you above.

Here's how to get there: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...e=UTF8&t=h&z=8

Beyond that, you're almost right-smack-dab in the middle of some of the best places in Ga to go camping, from what I'm told by my friends that live there.

Here's the thing. What you're about to embark on can be overwhelming if you're not prepared for it, but it's not rocket science. You need to stay warm and dry. Whatever you're comfortable carrying on your back that gets you to warm and dry is what you should use. Using budget gear is fine, as is using the top of the line stuff. Some practice the philosophy that you should just go ahead and buy the best of the best because you'll end up doing that anyway. In fact, I've been guilt of that myself.

What I've discovered is that I like something else that's maybe not "the best" for everyone else, but it is the best for me.

The thing you need to do is wait for a decent night where the weather isn't going to be too terribly bad. Find yourself a closed-cell-foam pad (walmart sells them), put that in your eno, put yourself on top of the pad, put your sleeping bag (If you have one) on top of you. Then try to sleep.

We could all give you great information on what works for us and it might work for you, but since everyone is a little different, the only real way to find out what is best for you is to go out and do it.
    Last edited by trigger hurt; 01-31-2010 at 17:07.
    I have heard your confession I know who you blame
    If you had it all back you'd just lose it again
    Can't bank on redemption if you ain't saved
    Don't bring me your tales of temptation and loss
    Don't bring me the pieces of your shattered cross

-- Stuart Adamson

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Hey Nikki,
    Welcome to the forum!
    If you want to get into camping, particularly in a hammock, you're in the right place.
    I would suggest you start with car camping, (drive to a campsite in a park or campground) instead of backpacking, simply because it's more forgiving and much less expensive to get started. You can take more conveniences and it all doesn't need to be light weight ($). According to Reserve America, there are several places just east of you near Cartersville. When car camping, I prefer a lake.
    http://www.reserveamerica.com/genera...47875947924385

Maybe some of the local folks can give more specific info on the area.
    Get strapped in, it's gonna be a great ride.

swampfox
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Suspension
    Custom
    Hey Nikki, nice to meet you I am new as well.

I sometimes find new trails here http://www.trails.com/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast