Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Still looking...
    Tarp
    Looking

Noob to the hang looking for some advice...

Hello to all of you I'm kind of have a conundrum that I would like some feed back on. First a bit of background and specs to understand my situation...I am a resonably large guy just grabbed a eno double nest for the back yard one day at my local ace. It now has a chea sleeping bag zipped around it and a massive 12 by 24 tarp hung over it, and treated hammock and bag with permetherin. Lol still not comfortable due to pesky invasive bloodsuckers in Pa. So here I am trying to decide on a first serious camping hammock. I've been looking at and leaning towards a Hennesey Deep Jungle XL. By reasonably large I'm 6'4" 240. I also love the looks and customizability of The Dream Sparrow, And a chameleon. I was going to get the hennessey with the free tarp and gear and add the Typhoon for now. And possibly do some OT and order A sparrow and a ugq winter dream 13 or the XL I just read about in blaze since I'm in Pennsyltucky...lol dont need shot on my ultimate hang. The question is do I go that route and slowly but thoroughly exhaust my options and hand my other hammocks down to my family that has kind of never wanted to camp cause of their idea that camping is roughing it lol. I realize that it's all personal choice and everything. But you have valuable knowledge and exp. that I would like to access. And yes I will probably be getting them their own hang eventually since the mrs.doesn't want me backpacking on my own. And I would love to be able to use my hammock for winter as well. Truthfully When I can not be pestered by bugs me and my cat will probably be in the hammock alot...yes my cat she loves to lay in it with me in the back yard. Lol...I know I'll be getting an underquilt eventually and possibly a nemo spoon bag probably the riff 15...and input or am I just a crazy person with dreams of grand hangs that should stick to the ground lol... Btw Ive also been looking for a back packing stand setup any Ideas and Derek love the Book and the Web page lol.
    Last edited by Jrice78; 09-24-2017 at 10:39.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Welcome to the forums jrice78,

Everyone will offer an opinion to you about this, so this is just mine. I would recommend that you steer away from the Hennessy and instead go with either the DH or Dutch offering. I think that you will find that both are more comfortable and offer the same protection from the bloodsuckers. Also, if you decide like many of us that an offering from a different vendor is where you might want to go, you will have no issues selling either the DH or Dutch offering on the forums recouping a significant amount of your investment.

Tarps are cheap, don't let the offer of a "free" tarp swing you one way or another. Most of us own multiple to accommodate "winter" camping, "Back packing" or "Summer camping". I have a tarp for each.

I hope my experience helps and wish you the best of luck on your future adventure. Glad you could join us.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    hello and welcome from NWPA, how big are you? I'm 6 foot 275lbs, and am comfortable in my Dutch netless 11 footrr and fronkey style bug net.

The PA bugs will be gone soon!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG CF/doors
    Insulation
    UGQZeppelin/Bandit
    Suspension
    Huggers/Mule Tape
    Hey JRice, welcome to the group. Now that you've been bitten (both figuratively and literally!) by the hammock bug, I'm sorry to say but your wallet will forever be lighter. I agree with FJRPilot, go with the DH or Dutch and you'll be very happy. Both can be customized to your liking, using the fabric of your choice. What I think most of us have found is, don't skimp! If you do, you end up buying twice, or maybe three times, to get what you really should have bought the first time. Better stuff costs more, but you'll also enjoy it more. At least that's what I've found, you get what you pay for.

Hammock
    Still looking...
    Tarp
    Looking

Thank you all for the advice...

This will sound horrible but its my mindset I was going g for the hennessey for the reason. That it would be used till my dream or dutch hammock got here and it would go to my sons...not as a permenant one but as a step up from the eno...wasn't about cost just about having a base line so I would apprication the higher quality cottage industry items that much more...like when you got rid of your beater car for your new one...lol not that I consider hennessey a beater they are your toyot as and the dream and Dutch are bmws...lol Is the craftsmanship all that bad In the hennesseys?

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrice78 View Post
    This will sound horrible but its my mindset I was going g for the hennessey for the reason. That it would be used till my dream or dutch hammock got here and it would go to my sons...not as a permenant one but as a step up from the eno...wasn't about cost just about having a base line so I would apprication the higher quality cottage industry items that much more...like when you got rid of your beater car for your new one...lol not that I consider hennessey a beater they are your toyot as and the dream and Dutch are bmws...lol Is the craftsmanship all that bad In the hennesseys?
    Hennessy hammocks are fine quality it’s just that you will likely find Dutch’s, or other cottage vendor’s, hammocks to be more comfortable. (My personal favorite is the Night Owl by Wilderness Logics but my Dutch is a very close second). In your case I’d take a close look at the Night Owl (double layer and includes suspension and knotty mods) and the Dutch Netless in Hexon 2.4 (add the knotty option if you like and suspension of your choice).

I’ll second the statement about tarps. Great coverage can be had for affordable prices, don’t let a free tarp be a factor. Amazon often has sales on the Kelt Noah’s 12 and, although not super light weight, it’s a great tarp!

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Raven/SLD Trail lair
    Tarp
    UGQ WD/SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DutchBuckle &Sling
    I know plenty of people who like their HH, so again take this as just one opinion. I had the HH for about a month before i got rid of it. I didn't even give it to my kids. I sold it to a scout who was in a pinch and needed something fast and cheap. My girls even being small when i first had it, didn't like it compared to the DIY ones i made them. So for me, other vendors were just more 'comfy' to me and my family.

Nice to see someone from Tyrone. I pass through there on my way towards Huntingdon to visit family. Welcome to the forums
    When the wife asks, I simply say "Shug made me do it".

The Hennessey is a good value, considering that for the price you get a solid hammock with integrated bug net and a tarp. I've got an Expedition and still use it from time to time. So value is a pro for the Hennnessey.

On the con side, I'd say it's heavier than other offerings. Ditto the tarp, also heavier than similar tarps. it's not outrageously heavy, just not going to be ultralight or anything.

These days I mostly use my 11 foot Dutchware netless hammock. For bug season I add a Fronkey style bug net. If it's cold, I add an under quilt and top quilt. The fabric of the Dutchware is 1.6 argon and is noticeably more comfortable than my Hennessey. I am, however, still using my Hennessey hex tarp.

Bottom line: consider the Hennessey a good start but if you stay with hammocks there's no way you're going to own just one.

Cheers.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    10' DH Sparrow, Net+OC
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20- 40°TQ
    Suspension
    SpWeb2.0+whoopies
    Dutchware Gear & Dream Hammock (and also Warbonnet if you haven't looked @ them just yet) are great places to look for a new hammock. I love my 10' Sparrow from Dream Hammock, but have just the one small caution- there really isn't any such thing as a 'stock' hammock from DH. This can make their ordering process a little confusing if you're not exactly sure what features you want. I wouldn't have known what to get from them if I hadn't spent months playing with and generally experimenting with the NX200 I started with- things like right v left lay, overall length and width, what sort of comfort rating, etc. Whereas DWG and WB make more agnostic hammocks that are made to accept a variety of configurations and lays.

Also, if you're worried about the timing- ie, getting it in before your next trip, then you may want to get the Chameleon (or Blackbird, Blk Bird XLC, or Ridgerunner) for now, and then jump for the DH hammock once you've got your preferred features really nailed down. Or just buy the DH they do make some amazing hammocks.

Hammock
    GE ; RR ; Vertex ; Tentsile
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    Simple light designs is a nother great cottage vendor, and among the cheapest. He makes great quality products with a great service in case of a refund or anything.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast