Dinosaur Valley State Park hang

Took a 28 mile bike ride to DVSP Friday evening, and ended up right in the middle of the trailer park.

I know I've seen actual tent (not RV) sites with water and electric in state parks before, but apparently now if you want to charge your phone, lights, camera etc. you have to pay $32/night to "camp" with the rumble of air conditioners and the glow of trashy Christmas light strings left on all night.

Wish they'd move the RVs out to some gravel lot in a "dead" part of the park, since these people are doing everything they can to not be in the woods as it is. Then they could fit 2-3 times as many people into the area with tents, hammocks and whatnot, and the electricity usage in those areas would drop to a small fraction of what's being used for air conditioning and hundreds of watts of night lights, and the price to actually camp could be reduced to reflect that.

On the other hand, aside from the mosquitoes figuring out they could get to me through the nylon underneath, (until I got the sleeping bag out to lay on) the noise and light pollution, and the crazy price (a frickin' single motel room in this area is about $15 more per night) it was a good trip. Just thinking maybe next time I need to camp outside the park and just pay a $7 day use fee to shower, hike and charge stuff at an empty campsite or picnic site.

Hammock
    Ol' ugly
    Tarp
    Hanger12/ DIYasym
    Insulation
    Bandit/Pheonix
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Next time check out the primative area. Your right by the river, and if you get one of the first spots on the trail down, you can scoop water from a dino foot print! I like it towards the back but I only found one spot back there to hang. Its much quieter then the "tent" spots.
    Where the trail ends the adventure begins!

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Troll View Post
    Next time check out the primative area. Your right by the river, and if you get one of the first spots on the trail down, you can scoop water from a dino foot print! I like it towards the back but I only found one spot back there to hang. Its much quieter then the "tent" spots.
    Good reminder on the primitive area. My trips there have been short side ventures on longer road trips, so I've not tried to hang there, but what I do recall seeing is as described, a civilization intense, high density trailer park. I'm glad to hear the primitive option is still good.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    Ol' ugly
    Tarp
    Hanger12/ DIYasym
    Insulation
    Bandit/Pheonix
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    Good reminder on the primitive area. My trips there have been short side ventures on longer road trips, so I've not tried to hang there, but what I do recall seeing is as described, a civilization intense, high density trailer park. I'm glad to hear the primitive option is still good.
    It's only a 3/4 to 1 mile walk so your not that far. Best I can recall if you wanna hang there is one spot to the back, and maybe 2 or three decent spots toward the beginning of the trail. When I called they were very happy to inform me i could hang. When I asked about spots they said they had plenty of trees however (and I could just be picky) I found slim pickings. Maybe I'm just accustomed to my oaks everywhere. Still worth the trip every time especially with the little ones, it's one park that shouldn't be passed up. Go when it's warm enough to get in the river for a mid day swim. (Almost always in Texas)

The primitive trailhead lot was full, and it was almost 10PM when I got there, so I decided against trying to set up in the dark among the people who had been willing to work a bit to get a dark, quiet camping spot.

Turned out there was a hunting and fishing expo there Saturday, which explained a lot of the primitive campers. I think the "backpacker" sites across the river were mostly available, but I can't imagine trying to get a loaded bike over there. (~35lbs of gear and a 28lb bike, down the riverbank, across the stepping stones and back up the other bank in the dark sounds like a good way to get hurt and/or break something I can't fix in the woods and have to call for a ride home.)

Hammock
    Ol' ugly
    Tarp
    Hanger12/ DIYasym
    Insulation
    Bandit/Pheonix
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    I see, don't know if I would have either, lol. I still want to hit the trail across the river. They had it closed last time we went. (High water) I hiked with my dad to the over look when I was a kid and loved it. Wanted to take my kiddo too. Beautiful park, I always enjoy the sites.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by KD5NRH View Post
    T... Wish they'd move the RVs out to some gravel lot in a "dead" part of the park, since these people are doing everything they can to not be in the woods as it is. ....
    Everyone's ideal outdoors experience is different. If you find yourself in an enviorment full of people with a different view of getting out, then perhaps it would be best if you relocated. The outdoors is enormous with many free camping options.

Complain if it makes you feel better but, don't expect the world to change to suit you.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    Everyone's ideal outdoors experience is different. If you find yourself in an enviorment full of people with a different view of getting out, then perhaps it would be best if you relocated. The outdoors is enormous with many free camping options.
    Most of those options aren't exactly legal; there aren't any open public lands nearby, and only a few privately owned campsites, so the only technically legal option within 10 miles might be hanging the hammock within the mean high water line of the river.

• + New Posts