Tarp pole mod (exterior) vs regular lined panel pulls

Hello all. I've got a Winter Dream 13 XL on order. While I"ve been waiting for it I've been watching tons of videos and reading lots of posts about rigging a tarp. This will be my first tarp and I'm new to all this. I didn't order any pole mods but now I'm wondering if I should have. Internal end pole mods are out for me right now due to the high (extra $90) additional cost but the external double pole mod at $45 seems fairly reasonable. My question is this - those that have used these external pole mods - is it as effective at creating space as using the panel pulls in the normal way? Some of the "inside the tarp" videos I've seen really don't look like you're gaining a great amount of extra room. I'm wondering if just using a line to pull them out gives you MORE room than the pole mods? I'm going to be using this tarp over a Ridgerunner so I need all the space I can get to clear the spreader bars.

I watched this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp1oUyup1EM

(which is the same as the tarp I'll be getting) and in his comments he mentions that he thinks the mod would be more effective if the poles were 60" rather than 55". Right now I don't see any pole kit with poles over 55". That makes me wonder if it's worth the extra money for this particular tarp. I would be interested in any opinions you all might have. Thanks.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    External pole mods are far better than no mods for your RR. Ask your vendor if they'll make up a set of 60" poles. You can always cut them shorter if you change your mind. If you buy the 55", you can purchase one longer section for each pole and cut it size yourself. Sources are out there. Typically pole sections are 13," but 18" (and 26") are available. Most poles are made up of a number of male sections and one female. Most would normally cut the female for shortening.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bribak View Post
    My question is this - those that have used these external pole mods - is it as effective at creating space as using the panel pulls in the normal way? Some of the "inside the tarp" videos I've seen really don't look like you're gaining a great amount of extra room.
    The amount of room shouldn't change when using the top pole mod vs tying out as long as the pull is the same. The pole mods simply allow you to get the pull without the extra lines to circumnavigate especially at night when your droggy.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    SLD WH
    Insulation
    MH 0 Bag/LL 0 RR
    Suspension
    STRAPS
    Totally agree with TrailSlug,...I've used both and prefer using the pullouts for both cost and weight reasons.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12 & WD13
    Insulation
    UGQ, HG
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I am using 55" Ext poles for my Winter Dream 13 XL, and it works well. This seems to be the lightest option and gives some good room.
    I have not used the tarp yet with just lines pulling out the sides.

I also going to the internal poles when not backpacking, because this gives the max internal room and I feel best for snow shedding.

This tarp is really big and roomy and anyway you string it will bring out its best.

Quote Originally Posted by robertjackson View Post
    I am using 55" Ext poles for my Winter Dream 13 XL, and it works well. This seems to be the lightest option and gives some good room.
    I have not used the tarp yet with just lines pulling out the sides.

I also going to the internal poles when not backpacking, because this gives the max internal room and I feel best for snow shedding.

This tarp is really big and roomy and anyway you string it will bring out its best.

That's great to hear on this specific tarp! Right now I am leaning towards maybe DIY a set around 60" if possible and shortening them if needed. There are numerous posts on this site about how to create a set. Never done anything like that before but it doesn't look too difficult if you get the right parts. Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12 & WD13
    Insulation
    UGQ, HG
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I think 60" will work fine, they will pull out a little more but that may work even better.
    Have fun

• + New Posts