Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Shenandoah allows camping in the back country with a permit. There are restrictions in areas above certain elevations. Check the maps and plan accordingly. https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/campbc.htm

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie sling
    [QUOTE=krazyamateurs;1821541]Hung the hammock in the BWCA in August; it was magical! I did have to get creative in finding the right trees within the campsite - and endure a bit of grumbling by my party having my hammock in one of the trail lanes. But hey, I gave that guy the tent pad despite having the better tree spacing.

I'm heading up the North Shore next weekend and trying to figure out which campsites would have proper trees for hanging hammocks. While MN is "evaluating" hammock use in the State Parks, it's currently up to the campground individually now. I've been burned a couple times being told to take them down.

Right now, I'm thinking of going the National Park campgrounds - Sawbill or Crescent...they don't have any limitation.[/QUOTE

I am curious about the part of "being told to take them down". Was this at a MN state park car campground? or a backpacking campsite? While I don't like it, I can kind of see why a car campground might not like hanging, because one often ends up using the space between tent sites rather than the tent pad areas themselves. I am fortunate enough to have purchased a Hammeck Stand about a year before they closed up shop. Disassembled, it easily fits in the back of any car, It makes a great backup option for car camping. If you were told to take the hammock down at a backcountry campsite, I am surprised, because I hardly every see a park ranger in the backcountry in MN.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 11ft.
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    My own concoction
    Shenandoah NP looks like about a 2 hour drive from you. I've heard it's really nice.

My idea of the perfect camping spot is one where the only manmade sounds I can hear are the ones I make myself.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I also prefer National Parks but I am fortunate to have a State Park that's a mile from the house and doesn't have patrolling rangers. I ride my bike so there's no car in the lot so no one is in the woods.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Images
    Even a short 1-mile backpack into a forest will filter out 95% of the beer swilling yahoos. After that, it's just dedicated hippies and thats okay.

Hammock
    Chameleon/Ridgerunner/Raven
    Tarp
    OMW/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Ghost P/Ridge Reap
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I often travel, sometimes car camp. I am very lucky to have the AT 15 minutes away.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft wide
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Hammeck Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    Only use state parks in the winter. To much activity in the summer as stated above. Most of the time I'm the only one there after season. We have a woodlot and I hang in it regularly. Have a summer spot and a winter spot. Never get bored. Nature is always changing. Every time I cut firewood I look at the place as a new spot to hang. I select trees to cut by the spacing I need to put a hammock between them. I do get out some but have some family restrictions that tend to keep me close to home.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12