WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

First Multi-Day Trip

So I have like 2 years hammock camping experience but of the many outings I have done so far, kayak and backpacking, all have been limited to overnight camping.

I have off 10-6 through 10-9 and am planning to backpack 3 nights during that time, and a buddy will come along with me that has the same amount of experience. Both of us in our 30's and in good shape.

I live in Birmingham, AL, and am willing to drive up to 6-7 hours TOPS...so naturally I think GSNP area is high on my list, and perhaps south of there in north GA area perhaps....getting into the mountains will mean daytime temps in the 70's and lows in the 50's perhaps it looks like at this point, which would be awesome...and maybe some nice colors will be starting to pop in, probably not much.

Our inexperience leads me to want to pick a route that is not difficult in the navigation department...I kinda ruled out Lineville gorge, but if someone knows a good 3 day starter loop that is easy to navigate, I would consider that. I am in good shape and work out several times per week...my buddy has started working out, he is a bit of a bigger guy than me, but am not trying to make big huge days covering many miles...probably 8-12 miles per day just to keep it realistic at our level of experience.

My buddy recommended we go into cades cove in GSMNP and hike either in there exclusively, or up onto the AT for a couple days and back....but when I looked into that, the AT, seems like the whole issue is the shelters...one must stay in a shelter, and no tents or hammocks...although I am generally aware this rule is not well enforced...but still, I am just not sure.

Ive hiked there before and love the views, but may need to pick a different spot perhaps...clearly we want to sleep in our hammocks ....seems like some just stealth camp maybe somewhat nearby the shelters which is not legit, but....I just don't know. Wanting veterans on there to give feedback.

any advice? I may snag one of those in reach explorers before the trip (wife will be happy), but was hoping to put that off till santa comes this year.

Thanks ahead of time...
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Also, if anyone knows resources for shuttle services at such locations....cause either we loop hike, or double back, or hitchhike , or find someone to bring us back to our car.

Or take two cars, but we are not gonna do that if we can avoid it.
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

• + New Posts