Hammock
    11' SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x12
    Insulation
    LocoLibre DWR Down
    Suspension
    Cin-Bkle Dyn-Str
    I live in NW Florida and have the same predicament atm. I'm looking to get two sets of quilts and have been torn between zero's and twenties. The wife and I hang in Sipsey AL where it gets to the low thirties but next year we want to try the Linville gorge where it dips as low as single digits. Also, in the panhandle it can get very cold in the swamps if you hang there as I do when bushcrafting. We currently use Snugpak Cocoons and they work very well but I want more of a diagonal lay.

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    Lots of opinions on things like this. As TrailSlug said, if you see 20, it might be the way to go. Given your range of temps, I'd be tempted to get a 30 degree TQ, and a quilt liner. I use a JRB fleece liner. You could use them both below freezing, just the TQ from freezing up to 60-65, and the liner for a light layer the rest of the time. Let us know what you decide.
    +1 on the JRB Fleece Quilt liner. Layers Jerry...it's all about the layers. Giddy Up.

IMG_2369.JPG

I was using the liner with a 40° Sierra Stealth Quilt last week and this week I am using it with a 20° Hudson River quilt.

It was perfect with the 40° down to the high 30s.

The Hudson River should get me down to the high teens with the quilt liner.

Last night (35°) I didn't sleep well because I got too hot...had to shed some clothes.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark8408 View Post
    I am looking to get a new top quilt. I live in Florida and do all of my hanging here. My under quilt is a 20 deg. I want a new top quilt and was t sure what temp to get. I would like to use it more than just the coldest night of winter. I see temps of high 20s every year, and it is my favorite time to camp. I was ondering if I could get a 40 deg and maybe layer coldest nights. At what temp would a 20 be too hot for most people.
    I live in South Louisiana, and I have a 30 degree top quilt and 30 degree under quilt. If I was going to get temps in the upper 20s, I'd bring the Under quilt protector, an extra layer, and my foam pad.

I use the 30 degree under quilt (3/4) during the summer. I just loosen the suspension so it gets drafty. It's pretty comfortable up to 70 ish. You can always slide it completely off if it's too hot.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    I'll add I use my 20*UQ from 30* to 70*..works just fine
    My 20* TQ is used from 30* to 50* then switch to 40* TQ. Under 30* I go to the 0* set
    If you prefer the cooler season then match your 20* UQ with a TQ of same rating. It is much easier above 50* to make something else work than the reverse.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12