Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insulation Fill

Insulation Fill

I understand the difference between 800 and 850 fill. Wold there be any advatages/disadvantages between goose and duck at the same fill? For example. 800 fill goose versus 800 fill duck? Tnx

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Duck duck goose
    Offhand I'll guess no difference insulative warmth.
    I'd choose goose.
    Maybe ask a vendor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    No difference in insulating ability. Difference is in price and general preference.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    I've used 850 goose and duck couldn't tell the difference between the two.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00OR...2BL&ref=plSrch

I've used down from these guys for three different quilts, very good quality, good price and they don't live pluck in case you're worried about that.
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    This is from one article on the web:
    Goose Down vs. Duck Down
    Down comes from the plumage of both geese and ducks—it’s not actually the feathers, but the soft clusters beneath the feathers that make up the insulation in your jacket or sleeping bag. Down is a food byproduct (at least in theory, more on ethics below), meaning that it comes from birds that are used for food. There are differences between the birds and a lot of statements swirling around the quality of their respective down, so we’ll clarify as best we can.
    Montbell goose down jacket
    Climbing companies like Montbell use high-end goose down

First, geese generally are larger than ducks and more mature when taken for food, so the down has a higher average fill power. You can find low-grade goose down and high-grade duck down, but on average goose down clusters are larger and loftier. Second, duck down is rumored to have slightly more of an odor. Ducks have a more diverse diet, while geese eat mostly grass, and therefore duck down can be oilier. It’s worth noting that almost all down found in good outdoor products has been cleaned, so there should be virtually no odor with either type. We’ve never noticed the difference and can’t substantiate the claim, but it’s certainly out there.

For these reasons, goose down is considered to be being the better of the two. However, duck down is more readily available because ducks are a more common source of food, so you’ll see plenty of duck down on the market, and particularly in mid-range and budget products. Most premium down products are made with goose down.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Years ago in Canada when purchasing my first down quilt, research stated the goose down clumps were larger and the White goe se down was the most desireable because the grey goose was not as robust. Duck down was considered inferior.

In reality and in today's world, there is very little difference, if you are out climbing mountins or proving yourself to be masochistic by transversing the ice fields of the North Pole. I am not sure the difference between the types and fill power is all that big of a deal for most of us. That being said I still buy mainly the higher end down. I still get into situations where the difference in having proper gear might be called upon to keep me alive
    Last edited by IRONFISH45; 10-07-2017 at 23:56.

Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    Years ago in Canada when purchasing my first down quilt, research stated the goose down clumps were larger and the White ooose down was the most desireable because th
    because th ???

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by ylnfrt View Post
    because th ???
    I am tippy, typing on my cell phone, my defibrillator is ramping up, which interferes with my cell phone, so please pardon the typing. My implanted computer does not always cooperate with my Smart Phone. LOL

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    I am tippy, typing on my cell phone, my defibrillator is ramping up, which interferes with my cell phone, so please pardon the typing. My implanted computer does not always cooperate with my Smart Phone. LOL
    I like you, I really like you!

No disrespect intended- I was unaware of your medical wireless conundrum. I have been researching althings "down" for an upcoming UQ and was interested in the rest of your thoughts. HYOH.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast