SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Best pad extenders/wings? What's your experience! Used the ENO HotSpot?

I occasionally bring a pad to use with a double-layer hammock instead of my JRB UQ. I live in AZ, and when camping in a new area that I am not certain of enough trees for hanging, I like the flexibility of going to ground and using my hammock as a bug bivy to keep out scorpions, etc. I have wide shoulders, and would like to keep them warm! I have several good Thermarest pads, and would like to purchase a pad extender/wings instead of buying a new pad, and I'm not a big DIY guy so making my own isn't appealing.

I'm looking at the ENO HotSpot Wings that I can get at REI for $30 with my dividend. Any experience good or bad with them? Is there a better alternative you are aware of?

I have looked at buying an Oware double-width pad and cutting it down to size, but it is $60 and currently out of stock. It also isn't very good/comfortable if I actually have to go to ground as it's only 3/16" thick.

Suggestions?

---Kurt
    My hiking/backpacking Youtube channel: Youtube

My BackpackGearTest reviews: Reviews

If you have an HH, then you should read my SuperShelter review: HH Super Shelter

here is something I wrote up about the ENO Hotspot a long time ago. I used it once in the field and wasn't really satisfied with it. Instead, I ended up making my own version of it, which is lighter and offered some flexibility because I can insert different wings depending on the temps.

I hope this helps.

Michael

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Mike View Post
    here is something I wrote up about the ENO Hotspot a long time ago. I used it once in the field and wasn't really satisfied with it. Instead, I ended up making my own version of it, which is lighter and offered some flexibility because I can insert different wings depending on the temps.

I hope this helps.

Michael
    Thanks, that was helpful. I did purchase a set with my REI dividend, but haven't had a chance to try them out yet. I'll be using it strictly in double-layer hammocks, so I shouldn't have too much of a thrashing problem. I've done plenty of hanging with pads, just not with an extender.

--Kurt
    My hiking/backpacking Youtube channel: Youtube

My BackpackGearTest reviews: Reviews

If you have an HH, then you should read my SuperShelter review: HH Super Shelter

• + New Posts