Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I hate socks. I only wear them in extreme cold.

I have a few pairs of down booties, they help a lot. I found the down booties with the outer boots a challenge to walk in.

For my DIY TQ I put a chunk of Apex under the back of my legs, where down compresses, so from my knees to my heels, ther is a outer layer of down and a inner layer of Apex. I also put extra down in my sewn on foot box.

When my B.P. is low and I am cold I put a heat source on my stomach, makes my whole body feel warm.

I also found, usually, clean feet stay warm.

Coat, sweater almost anything added to the foot box helps.

It might have to do with being female, I find most of the time if my hips are warm the rest of me is warm. If my feet get cold, I have a heck of a time getting warm.
    Last edited by IRONFISH45; 10-11-2017 at 02:42.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    So true! I've been camping with people that no matter how many times you tell them, they can't wrap their head around that idea. They only add more clothes after getting cold the first night.

Just like TxAggie said, if you keep all the heat from your core trapped under 2 shirts, a hoodie and a jacket, it won't be able to circulate to help warm the rest of you. And if no heat is entering you're quilts, it won't matter if they are rated to -20°, they can't do their job keeping you warm if you aren't putting heat into them. You'd be surprised by how many people think that quilts, blankets and sleeping bags make heat to warm your body, instead of how it truly works. That's why hydration , eating the RIGHT food before going to bed and going to bed ALREADY warm are so important. No fuel = no heat production= cold quilts = cold body. Even light exercise before climbing into your rig will help get your bp up to spread your body heat throughout your body. When its really cold, I like to throw the chemical hand/foot warmers into the footbox of my TQ about 15-20 mins BEFORE I get in and seal it up as good as I can. Then , when I'm ready for bed I've got a pre-heated footbox and I've got less cold quilt to heat up. They tend to work better in a small, low o2 environment, like a shoe or sealed up TQ.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Does anyone use bread bags on their feet? At one time,I thought it was a popular option..........

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    top/bottom quilt
    Suspension
    Huggers, Whoppie
    If you carry a square of Reflectix to use as a quick sit pad, it can work for stuffing under your feet.

Once my feet are cold..... i'm cold!
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    -Ben Franklin

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I wear some possum down socks but my full length underquilt usually covers under my feet. The top part of it touches my shoulder and i lay on a small inflatable pillow so theres plenty of length. If it gets really cold I will take the pad from my gossamer gear pack and put it inside my top quilt. I tried this after I saw it on one of Shugs videos. It helps the pressure my hammock puts on my heels too. After a so many miles hiked my calluses on my heels dont like the hammock being tight against them so the pad helps.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Quote Originally Posted by justrussell View Post
    If you carry a square of Reflectix to use as a quick sit pad, it can work for stuffing under your feet.

Once my feet are cold..... i'm cold!
    I always have reflectix sandwiched in the WBBB 1.1DL but wonder what sort of results one would get if it gets Very cold and bread bags were thrown in the mix............I like my possum down socks too..........

I put on a hat....

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    My current system, if not using a full-length UQ, is a small rectangle of thin windshield reflector with a piece of egg-crate open cell phone on top of that. Works well. If it is really cold, I will use an 18 hour body warmer to pre-warm my quilts and sleep clothes and then use it around my feet or the groin area to warm the blood going to my feet. If the weather is warm, I don't use anything, since I usually use a full-length UQ.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I've found that the majority of the time that my feet get cold is when they are damp/clammy because I take them right out of the boot and into the hammock. They need to be dry prior to turning in for the night.
    Also, an old saying is 'when your feet are cold - put on a hat'. Keeping you head warm helps all aspects of comfort in cold climates.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    I've found that the majority of the time that my feet get cold is when they are damp/clammy because I take them right out of the boot and into the hammock. They need to be dry prior to turning in for the night.
    Also, an old saying is 'when your feet are cold - put on a hat'. Keeping you head warm helps all aspects of comfort in cold climates.
    I may sound like a hypochondriac here, but clean, dry feet do stay warmer. I carry a 0.5oz squeeze bottle of rubbing alcohol. It can be used for many things, but at the end of the night I squirt some on my feet and rub them together. Other than giving you a nice clean feeling, it cleans and dries up that clamminess. Wave a shirt/towel/etc at them for a few seconds until the alcohol evaporates and that's it. Put on clean, dry socks and WOW does that feel good

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123