Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

deflating an inflatable pad- in the field

Hello all. Newbie here. Spent last night out in the backyard under my new tarp (my first) in my new Ridgerunner. Put it in porch mode. First time ever under a tarp! Slept great! Trying to get used to tarp rigging, snakeskins, ridgelines, etc. Fun stuff! I have picked up so much useful info from this forum (and YouTube videos).

I'm using an inflatable pad (Exped Snymat 7) and it really is comfortable under my Ridgerunner. Nice flat lay. But being a previous tent user I'm finding there were some conveniences that made life a little easier. Are there any tricks to deflating an air mattress while in the woods? I'm used to laying it on a hard tent floor and squeezing the air out and rolling it up tightly to fit in that little (too small) stuff sack it came with. I was able to get most of the air out while laying it in the hammock but I brought it inside the house to do the final deflating/rolling. Can't imagine any way to deflate it to that extent without putting it on the ground. I can see I'm going to have to get a larger stuff sack. Please don't recommend a UQ. Right now I would like to make this inflatable pad work because of the wonderful flat lay I get with it. Also, most of my outings initially will be milder temps until I get used to this new camping system. I think the inflatable pad will be sufficient for that. Even though most of my use with this Ridgerunner will be car camping (I've got "drop foot" - so my lengthy hiking days are over), total mattress deflation is still going to be awkward. Any tips from you guys? I'd hate to carry and extra ground cloth just to lay my mattress on the ground to deflate.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Since you are not back packing just get a larger stuff sack and let it self deflate over time back in the car.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Yes, the problem is real. My Klymit is challenging to get deflated completely without a hard surface to work on. Instead of trying to get it small enough to get into the original stuff sack I just fold mine in half length-wise, instead of in thirds or fourths, and roll it up that way. I have made a stuff sack for it that fits. It is easier to get all the trapped air out that way but still sometimes takes a couple of attempts to get it done.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Images
    Yes, do it in multiple passes. Also I hold the pad roll at waist level and squat down to squash the air out. Slight turn, stand up, repeat.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I fold them and roll mine into my hands, but I have to roll them twice. First quick roll gets 95% of the air out, unroll it, and then the second roll finishes it off.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 2.0
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    Down quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Like the others have said, it might require multiple rolls. Although I've since switched to an UQ, when I first started hammocking I was able to roll my pad up while pressing it into the hammock. You will have to press down really strongly since it's not a fixed surface, but I could make it work.

If all else fails, just lay the pad down on the bare ground and roll it up there.

No one ever said hammocking doesn't require some compromises and this is one of them... and a good reason to switch to an UQ.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Most folks do carry a ground cloth. I would not toss out that notion.
    Keeps gear dry and dirt free, gives you a spot to sit or stand, wrap your pack up in hard rain, etc.
    It does not need to be huge or heavy. A small 3' x3' or 4' x4' sheet of waterproof fabric or plastic weigh little and packs small.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    HammockTent 90° 2.0
    Tarp
    SLD, Zpacks
    Insulation
    Exped, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bugs
    Hello Bribak,

I use Exped mats in my hammock as well. I fold the mattress in half length wise and lay it across the strung hammock. As I roll the mat I will also hold it on my chest and use my forearm to push the air out a few times. I store the mat in the medium size tent stuff sacks made by Simply Light Designs.
    Jim Clark

All good advice. Much appreciated. The small ground cloth is a good idea as I don't yet have one for shoes, etc.
    ...and a larger stuff sack for sure.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Not a pad user but my thoughts parallel Gargoyles. Using a piece of Tyvek is a common thing for many of us for a "door mat" as a handy spot for all manner of gear we want to keep out of the dirt. It's durable, light weight, packs up small and is pretty cheap even for a good sized pice.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast