Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Hybrid UHMWPE/MSH
    Just as a followup, Gadget and Shug showed me the way. For some reason I was hung up on the idea that the UQ suspension had to stay under the hammock. I strung everything up this afternoon and ran my feet under the suspension like Shug showed and everything was much better. I threw my Thermarest Z-Seat under my feet inside of my footbox, and everything stayed nice and toasty in my controlled environment. I'll have a chance to test it out in the wild tomorrow night, and hopefully I'll be ordering a new winter UQ by Monday.

I kinda feel stupid for starting this thread when the answer seems so obvious. However, I'd have been very disappointed the first time I tried out my next UQ if I hadn't. Thanks to everybody that offered suggestions.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory Hess View Post
    Just as a followup, Gadget and Shug showed me the way. For some reason I was hung up on the idea that the UQ suspension had to stay under the hammock. I strung everything up this afternoon and ran my feet under the suspension like Shug showed and everything was much better. I threw my Thermarest Z-Seat under my feet inside of my footbox, and everything stayed nice and toasty in my controlled environment. I'll have a chance to test it out in the wild tomorrow night, and hopefully I'll be ordering a new winter UQ by Monday.

I kinda feel stupid for starting this thread when the answer seems so obvious. However, I'd have been very disappointed the first time I tried out my next UQ if I hadn't. Thanks to everybody that offered suggestions.
    Hey, it's a learning process for all of us but the good thing is your getting it. Have fun and HYOH.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    That or get an extra wide UQ to match your hammock.
    Is this a thing? Do wide hammocks work better with wide UQ's? I'm looking into wide hammocks and would like to know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    If you decide to try bridges, contact Just Bill about his Big Boy bridge. I don't think he's mass producing yet but he may be able to kick one you're way if you plead nicely.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Hybrid UHMWPE/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    Is this a thing? Do wide hammocks work better with wide UQ's? I'm looking into wide hammocks and would like to know.
    From what I understand, 50" is about as wide as you can go with a standard UQ suspension. I don't know of anybody that's selling a wider UQ commercially, so if you wanted to go wider you'd have to DIY one.

Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    If you decide to try bridges, contact Just Bill about his Big Boy bridge. I don't think he's mass producing yet but he may be able to kick one you're way if you plead nicely.
    That's the one I've been following. I haven't yet convinced myself to go that route. My hangup is that I have 3 kids that are all very interested in hammocking as well. Ideally, I'd be able to hang in a setup that's pretty much standard so that I can eventually have interchangeable gear for all of our setups. It'll make things much simpler, and cheaper, this way. The more I vary from a normal 11' GE, the less likely that this is going to work out, and the more likely that I'm going to spend a whole bunch of extra money.

Hammock
    Night Owl
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator/BA Bag
    Suspension
    Straps and a loop.
    I just got a Kammock Koala down UQ on clearance at REI (https://kammok.com/products/koala) that has dimensions of 80 x 55 at 23 oz. It's rated for 30 deg, and weighs like a 20 deg from a cottage vendor that uses better down (it uses 750). They do have some kind of internal adjustment straps to help close gaps, that they must have added because of the width issue above 50" that others have mentionned. Once I get it I'll start a new thread with my impressions of it. I normally prefer the cottage vendors, but this was a steal of a price and I kind of like the option to return it if it doesn't work out.

I am a big guy as well and as much as I love my HG Incubator, I do find myself waking up at night with a cold spot because while moving around at night the UQ slipped off my shoulder. I'm hoping this quilt with it's extra width will solve that issue, and my incubator will serve well as I convert my wife into a Hammocker.
    Do a Good Turn Daily!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory Hess View Post
    For some reason I was hung up on the idea that the UQ suspension had to stay under the hammock. ... I kinda feel stupid for starting this thread when the answer seems so obvious.
    Well, there are lots of different answers, is the thing. So, it isn't always obvious. Case in point: my quilt does hang entirely under the hammock. If it isn't doing that, something is wrong:

IMG_3969-s.jpg

YMMV, HYOH, and all that.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Hybrid UHMWPE/MSH
    Another update, I've been emailing with Paul & Missy at UGQ and they told me that attaching the quilt to the hammock down by my feet would help pull the quilt into a diagonal, making it feel wider. Of course, neither of my hammocks has quilt hooks, which I thought just snugged the quilt up and didn't consider that it would make the quilt lay at a diagonal. However, my SLD hammock has knotty mods, so I hitched the cord from the knotty mod to the suspension on my underquilt. I'm pretty optimistic about this solution. I tried this out this morning after reading the latest email, and hopped in quick before I had to start working. It seemed to solve the issue. There's a bit of pressure on my outside leg, as I'm stretching the UQ's suspension by pushing it out with that leg. It's not too bad though, and might just be the ticket. I'm going to try sleeping in it tonight and see how it works out. Hopefully, it proves to be as comfortable overnight as it was for my quick test and I'll be able to use full length quilts with standard suspensions.

Thanks again for everybody for their help and suggestions. Special thanks to Paul and Missy for being so patient with a guy that obviously doesn't know what he's doing when it comes to underquilts.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123