Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Just like warm clothing or quilts, you can vent but can’t add warmth if you don’t have it. I feel the same way about my 11ft Palace Tarp. I can set it up to gain the advantage of my former Edge in Summer or baton down the hatches in storm mode. I too, questioned whether to go after the 12ft, but I wanted to stay lighter weight than my Edge. Definitely a Yay here.
    "gbolt" on the Trail
    We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!
    YouTubeChannel. [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA]

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    Zpacks CF, WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ WBB 0 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide WS
    Images
    Just right. I have many miles on the Zpacks CF tarp with doors. My son used one on his AT trek this year as well. I've had no problems with coverage using it with both gathered ends and the WBBridge.
    Concerning wind, most of my camping is in sheltered areas along the AT and in NC areas. In some tight spots anything any larger might have been a challenge to use.
    I did have it out in CO in 40 mph gust and it held with all guy outs used and some creative staking. If wind is a variable in tarp selection, a very large tarp might act as spinnaker and self destruct.
    On a side note I still use a Super Fly for car camping for extra coverage and to save the CF from the scouts we are usually with.

Hammock
    Amok, XLC, WBRR
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber 4S
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have a 12 foot Cuben 3s. 12’ works for bridge hammocks. 11’ for gathered ends if you want the doors closed (dog bones prevent this on 11’). Id get the palace.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I have had the WP and the Standard (snagged off Backpackinglite forum). I ended up passing the Standard along and keeping the WP for my DH Raven. Enough coverage to weather the weather and keep my pooch happy.

Having said that, neither could match the quality or fit of the Hammocktent 90 degree CF camo tarp made by Zpacks for hammocktent.

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hodad View Post
    Just right. I have many miles on the Zpacks CF tarp with doors. My son used one on his AT trek this year as well. I've had no problems with coverage using it with both gathered ends and the WBBridge.
    Concerning wind, most of my camping is in sheltered areas along the AT and in NC areas. In some tight spots anything any larger might have been a challenge to use.
    I did have it out in CO in 40 mph gust and it held with all guy outs used and some creative staking. If wind is a variable in tarp selection, a very large tarp might act as spinnaker and self destruct.
    On a side note I still use a Super Fly for car camping for extra coverage and to save the CF from the scouts we are usually with.
    This is a good point.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

I don't think you can have too much tarp.

Sure if you have a 12 footer and the trees are too close together, but I mean standard vs doors vs palace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Similar to SilvrSurfr, I started out with the Standard w/Doors and moved up to the Winter Palace. I like setting my tarp up a little high and the Standard just wouldn't give me enough wind protection without having to lower the tarp to an uncomfortable level. Plus I occassionally like to bring a bridge hammock and my Standard's side pullouts weren't setup for that. I also got one of HG's last Diamond Asym tarps that I bring when I know the weather will be warm and fair.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

I have a Mountain Laurel Designs 10.5 x 8.5 CF cat cut tarp.....8.5 oz....small and light...which is what CF is all about...I love it. It's just right most of the time, except maybe a bit small for my RR - as it is a longer beast especially with the suspension. It fits everything else I have, and it works in a pinch even on the RR.

I'm not really convinced CF is the **** for larger tarps, I kinda think silpoly is the way to go....but if someone gave me a Winter Palace I wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating crackers!

When the weather is crap, one of the best things about hammocks is that you can retreat into stealth mode and go into the woods deeper and use the landscape to provide something out of the weather. You also have to just buck it up and hunker down in there and get the tarp right down on your SRL.
    Last edited by voodoochile; 10-15-2017 at 08:49.

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Runner View Post
    Similar to SilvrSurfr, I started out with the Standard w/Doors and moved up to the Winter Palace. I like setting my tarp up a little high and the Standard just wouldn't give me enough wind protection without having to lower the tarp to an uncomfortable level. Plus I occassionally like to bring a bridge hammock and my Standard's side pullouts weren't setup for that. I also got one of HG's last Diamond Asym tarps that I bring when I know the weather will be warm and fair.
    I see folks commenting that the Winter Palace is cat cut.

I thought the WP was a straight edge tarp.

Winter_Palace_3__62409.1353310652.1280.1280.jpg
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I'd go winter palace if I bought another one. The sides are too short on the standard. I have to hang the tarp low or the hammock high to get good coverage. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the standard.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast