Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Just about to order a HH but...

I can't find a definitive answer for the cold weather sleeping issue. I'm planning a trip to the Sierra in September and it's always 50F or lower at night. Sometimes 30F and below. I checked out a HH that a friend had and I have no doubts that it's comfy but is it warm? The HH website doesn't really do a good job of convincing me one way or another.

Seems like there are a number of options to keep warm but I can't seem to track down THE one.

So what is the one way to keep warm that doesn't slide all around, doesn't cost a bunch, doesn't cause condensation and doesn't bulk up the backpack?

Please help. I don't want to sleep in a tent!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    welcome to HF dave. some of the hh users can tell you a lot more but it sounds like you would rather not use a pad, so an under quilt would fit your description... except for the part about not wanting to shell out much cash.
    maybe one of the synthetic under quilts that blackbishiop makes will do the trick. they would be much less expensive than down. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Dave

My personal opinion is it all depends on the person as to what you need to keep warm in the temperature you asking about. One person might be warn in a 40 degree back that that temp and another person may be warm in a 20 degree bag at that temp. It would be something that I think each person has to play with to find there comfort level. I will say you sleep a lot cooler in a hammock temperature wise though.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I don't use a Hennessy, but I've slept in a hammock long enough to know that, for all intents and purposes, there is no true definitive answer to your question. The reason why is easy enough to understand. It's because what works for one, may or may not work for others. I don't own an underquilt (yet), but find myself warm in my hammock down to about 30 or so with a 20 degree bag, a CCF pad, lightweight long johns and a hat. If it's warmer, I ditch layers, but keep them close at hand just in case. There are pros and cons to any insulation system and you sometimes have to be willing to trade off one thing for another, such as lower weight for a little more bulk, etc. IMO, the best thing you can do is get your hammock, set it up and spend a few nights in it in the back yard. Try different insulation configurations and see what work for you. Blackbishop makes the Potomac Underquilt (I think he has a website in the works) , Pan and Smee make the Jacks r Better line of goodies and Ed Speer at Speer Hammocks makes the Snugfit Underquilt. There are a couple options as well for top insulation, try using your bag as a quilt on top of you and there's always the Ray Way Quilt kit if you're handy with a sewing machine or know anyone who is. That's just my two cent's worth, but there are PLENTY of folks here much more wise than I in matters such as this. Trust me, plenty more people will chime in to offer their advice as well.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    And welcome aboard, glad to have you with us!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images
    Welcome.

If it helps I had my hh down to 15 deg. I was using the JRB nest, walmart 1/2" ccp, mont bell super stretch #2 bag as a quilt (15-20 deg rating), mid weight long underwear top/bottom, smartwool socks, OR windproof fleece hat. I was nice an toasty at that temp.

I think that you need a ccp of some type below 25-30 deg (give or take). That is about the limit with most UQ. You could always put 2 one. For a reference a 1/2" ccp alone got me to about 30 deg before I got cold.

I was also using the McCat Deluxe tarp. If you get a hh, get a larger tarp IMHO.

I am also a cold sleeper. But I also was not wearing a lot of layers. I think staying warm in a hammock is easy, with some thought. Minus dealing with the slit and bugnet, insulating all hammocks is basically the same. You need good insulation underneath you, and a good quilt overtop.

The Potamic is a good UQ if you like synethic, Ed Speer or JRB make good down ones, or you can use pads. Pads just take some practice wrestling with in a hh. You can also make an UQ if you or someon else has a sewing machine.

Whatever you choose, practice and practice some more. Hammocks have a learning curve to them. I think Doctari said it best, "You are good at setting up your shelter when you set it up 10 times after you are sick of doing it".
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Welcome to the forum.

A $6 blue WalMart CCF pad (in the camping section) would probably get you down to around 40*, maybe lower if you factor in some clothing and a nice bag. Like the others have said, it all depends on whether you are a cold sleeper of a warm sleeper. You will eventually want to invest in an under quilt.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    You will eventually want to invest in an under quilt.
    Personally, that's my next big hammocking investment. I'm still trying to decide which one to buy for sure, but am leaning toward the Potomac for now. The Speer is a bit out of my price range and the JRB stuff looks to me like it more geared toward being HH specific.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Personally, that's my next big hammocking investment. I'm still trying to decide which one to buy for sure, but am leaning toward the Potomac for now. The Speer is a bit out of my price range and the JRB stuff looks to me like it more geared toward being HH specific.

get a Speer Peapod since it can be used as an underquilt and also enclose you in the hammock. He still has 2 on sale. I do think his temp rating on them are rated a little high and can be used in much colder temps

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    get a Speer Peapod since it can be used as an underquilt and also enclose you in the hammock. He still has 2 on sale. I do think his temp rating on them are rated a little high and can be used in much colder temps
    Ewker, do you know what he's charging for the ones on sale?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast