Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Just hammock only inside or when the lows are above 70 and you can sleep with the bugs. That way you won’t need an underquilt. Just be sure to use permethrin.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I am a cold sleeper but I really like a 3/4 length underquilt.It works for me,is lightweight,and packs well.When the day comes that you decide to surrender to the "downy goodness" of top and underquilts,I would suggest starting with a 20 degree rated quilt for both.I tried pads and it was the first step in the progression that ultimately ends in the acquisition of some sort of under quilt.

For the first year, I used a synthetic sleeping bag. I learned how to get it wrapped around me and not have a cold spot. It worked down into the low fifties or maybe cooler. Arrowhead had an anniversary sale and I now have an underquilt. I have only used it down into the upper fifties with the sleeping bag as a TQ, but it is easier to get into the hammock and then pull the bag over than it was trying to get zipped in, especially when it was too warm for the top cover when I went to sleep and was absolutely needed around daylight. Worst problem now is when I am warm in the hammock, I don't want to get up and make coffee even when it's only in the fifties.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Need??? Well, you're using a +20F bag and putting on thermals to be "comfortable" at +60F. I think that alone kind of answers your question.

Despite what some people say, I believe that down provides a little insulation under you even when compressed (not much). In your sleeping bag it probably was just enough to keep you comfortable down to 60 degrees but I highly doubt you would be comfortable much lower in your down bag.

Here in the dry southwest with a top quilt I find I'll get cold if there's a light breeze around 75 degrees. I might be OK down to 65 or 70 if there's some humidity or no breeze at all. But basically what I'm saying... is yes, you will need an under-quilt or some kind of under-insulation for getting anywhere near 20 degrees to be comfortable.

Will you die w/o under-insulation? Probably not but 20 degrees is pretty darn cold and being right up next to a cold hammock will quickly suck the warmth out of your body. If you think otherwise I encourage you to do a test in your backyard or your friend's backyard to see what you can handle. After a few hours, and when your metabolism drops, you will probably get cold butt syndrome and be very uncomfortable.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow #4280
    Insulation
    LocoLibreGear
    Suspension
    Whoopies w spiders
    When I first started in my hammock I was using sleeping bags including an extra one underneath and it was difficult getting in and out, with the occasional sleepless night. Now I use a full length under quilt that is serious over kill temperature range wise but it was fine into the 70F after which it was too hot and I simply pulled it to the side.

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    There is no need for a long explanation. Yes. You need an underquilt. You don't like pads. So a UQ is needed. Done.
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Hammock
    Clark or Hummingbird or MYOG or...
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Quilt for the temp
    Suspension
    Homemade Whoopies
    I think you'll be more comfortable with less bulk going with quilts as compared to a sleeping bag.
    Good luck.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chansta View Post
    Thanks, all. I got a wilderness logics 3/4 uq on special. I also have a nice tq from hammock gear. I don't mind the bulk, as I'm not hiking long distances.
    This one? I've been eying this one myself.
    http://wildernesslogics.com/BUD-WINT...T-20F-B3-4.htm
    Good choice. Let us know how it works out for you.
    Last edited by oldpappy; 11-17-2017 at 16:34.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Ole Blue-DIY 11 footer
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    UQG Zep;JRB ORM
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have used pads, refletix, sleeping bags, sleeping bag liners, UQs and combinations of all of the listed...
    the UQ is the best option in my opinion.
    I use my 3/4 length 20 degree UQ alone to 30 degrees. I add mylar blanket between quilt and hammock and refletix between me and hammock to go below 30 degrees... at least until my 0 degree UGQ Zeppelin is delivered!
    in the words of the great Tom Petty
    "The waiting is the hardest part..."
    I never saw a discontented tree. They grip the ground as though they liked it, and though fast rooted they travel about as far as we do. -J. Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast