gathered end dutchware
    Tarp
    hennesy hex
    Insulation
    AHE new river
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

do I truly need an uq?

I spent a lovely evening in my new traveler. I'm not a pro at setting up hammocks, but even on first hang, I was quite comfortable.

Despite 60 degree temps, I was perfectly fine in a sleeping bag without being too cold. I'm curious if my top quilt would be enough to keep me warm if I sleep this warm in general. It's a 20 degree. I got a bit chilly, but I put on a thermal layer, problem solved. I feel like a down jacket would do the same.

If not, I suppose I'd need an uq. I tried a pad in there and it was such a pain.
    So, how totally necessary is an uq? Are there other workaround besides pads/reflectix?

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    This can only be answered by you and how you plan on using your hammock and what temps you plan on hanging in. Are you planning on just day hanging or over nighting? I would say try your bag on one of these nice 60 degree days and upper 30's to mid 40's nights and you'll find our pretty quickly how comfortable you'll sleep.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chansta View Post
    Despite 60 degree temps, I was perfectly fine in a sleeping bag without being too cold.
    I'm guessing it was a synthetic bag, yes?
    A synthetic will not squash so much under you, and will still provide some under insulation.
    The down side is that it will not squash so much when you come to pack it away (unlike a down filled bag).
    I'm curious if my top quilt would be enough to keep me warm if I sleep this warm in general.
    Unlike your bag, the TQ will not insulate you under your butt. Being exposed to the breezes, it's gonna chill (in overnight temps below 70F).

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Hybrid UHMWPE/MSH
    If you're not using an underquilt you're probably better off staying with the bag as opposed to a topquilt. With just a topquilt I'm chilly by the time it hits 60, and I'm a pretty warm sleeper.

Hammock
    DL Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge/CDT
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I’m very much a newbie, and wondered the same thing...I’ve quickly realized I’ll need to make getting a UQ a priority.

Last weekend, I tested my double layer Chameleon overnight—temps got down to 36 I think. I had a pad, and then laid on top of a zero degree, very thick synthetic sleeping bag. I had two Costco down throws over me (one as a TQ, one draped over the ridge line to make a tent and trap warm air. I also had the Chameleon Top Cover zipped on, a down coat under my upper body, another down coat wrapped around the outside foot end of my hammock (a la Shug), a merino buff, and wool socks...I thought for sure I had too much and would burn up, especially because I like to sleep cool.

At first I was a little too warm, but as temps dropped, I needed everything but the socks. I was warm enough as long as I stayed centered on the pad, and my top always stayed warm, but any body parts that shifted off the pad quickly got very chilled from below, even through all the layers under me. Plus it was just so much bulk! I had a very cozy nest, but I swear my poor Chameleon weighed 50lbs.

I decided the next morning I needed to start saving for a good quality under quilt. I can get by with a pad—I think I need a wider one than the blue Walmart pad I picked up, cause it easily shifts out from under me. But the pad definitely blocks the cold, except I don’t like the hassle, and I felt a bit clammy sometimes. Going without a pad or UQ definitely isn’t an option for me, unless it’s above 70-75.

You can get by with a pad. I used a pad in one form or another nearly two years. Get two Wallyworld blue pads and cut one down to 30 inches. Turn that piece sideways and make a T shape with the other pad. That way your shoulders will stay on the pad better.

Or you can make an SPE, segmented pad extender. Shug shows one in at least one of his videos. That and a sleeping bag will work, not perfectly and with more bulk but it will keep you relatively warm.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I used a pad for the first year I hammocked. When I finally got my first underquilt, I regretted that I had waited so long.

You only truly need an underquilt if you want maximal sleep comfort in your hammock. You only truly need an underquilt if you want to experience the splendor of magical dream states on crisp fall nights. You only truly need an underquilt if you hope to experience the sublime repose that is only attainable with 12-18 oz of goose down suspended below you.

No, you don't truly need and underquilt but, you are cheating yourself if you don't get one. Hammock camping without an underquilt is like having a beautiful but platonic girlfriend.
    Last edited by OCDave; 10-15-2017 at 10:21.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    To me it boils down to how much risk I want to take and how much weight you want to carry. If you are car camping you can take enough pads/clothes/sleeping bags/jackets/electric blankets with an extension cords/etc to stay warm without any quilts. Quilts shine when you are backpacking miles in and want to save weight. The weight to warmth ration can't be beat with a high quality down quilts.

Texas Hill Country, Canada, Southern Mexico, Northern Alabama
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft double layer
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slings
    Everyone has already said it...but I'll chime in...Get a good quality UQ...Your behind will thank you !
    No matter where you go...There you are..

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Simple answer to the question posed... YES! =)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast