Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekoob View Post
    I appreciate your replies to each post.

Packable on the bike would be a must for me too and I realize that doesn't mean backpacking weight is needed.
    Depends what kinda bike: https://clevercycles.com/blog/2017/0...ins-in-spring/ . The aforementioned motoscooter is my first motor vehicle, at age 51. All bike, all the time!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Will be watching this....neat idea
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Images
    You might want to have several women of different sizes and shapes try out your stand- a woman's center of gravity tends to lower than a man's. I don't know if that will make enough of a difference- but it might.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by slugbait View Post
    You might want to have several women of different sizes and shapes try out your stand- a woman's center of gravity tends to lower than a man's. I don't know if that will make enough of a difference- but it might.
    As long as you plant your butt on the south side of the base strap defining the fulcrum, which is the easier/larger/obvious place to stand while getting in/out, it's going to be hard to tip footward unless your feet are heavier than head! Even if your center is closer to hips than shoulders. Can hang a pack off head end if you want insurance, also keeping it off ground. Or just guy it which helps in a stiff breeze especially if empty.
    Last edited by Latherdome; 10-20-2017 at 15:24.

Hammock
    Dutchware, BearButt
    Tarp
    WB-SF, KC-Batwing
    Insulation
    PLUQ,AHE-NR,WL-BWK
    Suspension
    Various
    I do an in-hotel event for 5 days every year and have to lug my 45# hammock stand. I'm watching this as well for developments, dimensions, and cost.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by LTMillar View Post
    I do an in-hotel event for 5 days every year and have to lug my 45# hammock stand. I'm watching this as well for developments, dimensions, and cost.
    Well, help me out. This can be cheap and bulky and heavy, or light and compact (packed) and expensive. I want to learn the shape of the curves in between, and where the demand points are to see what economies of scale support.

I just learned that I can't likely stay under 4 lbs in aluminum, which costs way less than carbon fiber. How much would you (consider) paying for a sub-4-lb, optimally compact carbon fiber stand? What if the aluminum version were 5.5lbs and 150% the packed size but cost half the CF version?

These are straight-up market research questions. I don't know if against terms of site. I'll pull down if so. I guess before long I'll be seeking beta testers. But I have to knock down more poles of what obviously won't work before that would be meaningful.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Well, help me out. This can be cheap and bulky and heavy, or light and compact (packed) and expensive. I want to learn the shape of the curves in between, and where the demand points are to see what economies of scale support.

I just learned that I can't likely stay under 4 lbs in aluminum, which costs way less than carbon fiber. How much would you (consider) paying for a sub-4-lb, optimally compact carbon fiber stand? What if the aluminum version were 5.5lbs and 150% the packed size but cost half the CF version?

These are straight-up market research questions. I don't know if against terms of site. I'll pull down if so. I guess before long I'll be seeking beta testers. But I have to knock down more poles of what obviously won't work before that would be meaningful.

Actually we were just chatting about this post and all the management staff agree we are happy to see your innovation and process. You have not attempted to sell a thing so you are outside the vendor realm so please continue While that hopefully will change in the future and you will be selling this puppy, that is not the case at this point. We will let you know when it does.

No chance you can offer both? I, personally, would prefer the aluminum version as my trailer behind the motorcycle can haul it but others might not feel the same.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

How long are your poles? I would love to see if I could do a similar stand using wood.
    / \ /+\
    | ||
    |-|| ___
    | ||
    | | \__|

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by ag1024 View Post
    How long are your poles? I would love to see if I could do a similar stand using wood.
    Wood, bamboo, steel should be easy. Furniture-grade wood? Fold up like a Murphy bed inside! Poles starting around 7' can do 10' hammocks. Longer hammocks need longer poles. I don't have precise numbers yet, and precision isn't required since wiggle room. Poles longer than necessary? Just increase suspension length. But the longer the pole the stiffer the material needs to be. Not tried with anything but gathered-end hammocks yet, with or without ridgeline, normatively 30° hang angle or a little steeper. There's some config that works with hammock chairs too I'm sure.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Depends what kinda bike: https://clevercycles.com/blog/2017/0...ins-in-spring/ . The aforementioned motoscooter is my first motor vehicle, at age 51. All bike, all the time!
    Nice ride in that link.

My "bike" is a little larger, by about 700lbs. It's a Honda ST 1300.

The few pounds you mention between sub 4 and say 6lbs is insignificant when packed on a motorcycle. Not saying I wouldn't hump it a short distance but mostly it's the packablity on the motorcycle or luggage on a flight for hotel use.

Obviously not near you but if testers needed add me to the list.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 122 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast