WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by raftingtigger View Post
    Totally cool. Our pole design held his weight (160ish IIRC), with only TWO poles. The poles were engineered for FOUR poles, so this is looking really good.

Orange Screws, 2 were used: One SINGLE large screw was trying to hold the entire system up in loose mud. A smaller one was used for balance. I haven't run the vectors, but I suspect the force on the SINGLE anchor was in excess of 320#, likely much higher.

FWIW, PharmGeek and I have hung in beach sand with using 4 large Orange Screws, and in one test a single large OS didn't budge with a 160# tester standing on a guyline fixed to a handrail. In all cases we scraped off the top 1-2" of loose sand and placed the anchors in the firm sand beneath. I suspect mud is more challenging.
    4 12 inch big orange screws in no ground poles in gulf cost sand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Tensahedron Stand

I’m intrigued by the 2 pole option!!!!! Compact for kayak camping - how compact could it pack?!

Last edited by PharmGeek; 11-24-2017 at 15:59.
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by snwcmpr View Post
    Reading this thread with interest.
    Between trees, or a stand that is stable like turtledog stand, or Tato stand, the ridgeline is unaffected.
    In this stand, the stand width is flexible. Thus as the stand goes wider the ridgline get tighter. Is this not an issue?
    The stand width affects seat height and shoulder/foot clearance when laying on the diagonal, not ridgeline tension/length.

To tighten the ridgeline, shorten the poles or lengthen the suspension, and vice versa. It only seems paradoxical at first. I think Gadget was first to articulate this, at least concerning suspension: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1828855. I've verified that changing the pole length is equivalent.

You can understand it in thought experiments using extreme examples: pretend you had 30-foot poles, made of magically light material (i.e., forget about the mass of the poles for now). You string your 10' hammock from the ends. You get in hammock (with a fire ladder?) and what will happen? The poles will close up on you, becoming nearly vertical as they seek tangency with the suspension, no ridgeline to speak of. Opposite extreme case: your poles are only 6 feet. You string up your 10' hammock. It's going to have negligible sag and still barely be off the ground even with minimal width. Get in, and any ridgeline will go tight as piano wire.
    Last edited by Latherdome; 11-24-2017 at 23:17.

.. Thanks. ..
    I collect vintage camp stoves.
    I roast coffee at home.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    It's kinda the opposite of tree suspension. Shortening the suspension makes for a steeper pole angle, lengthening it makes the poles shallower.

--
    Gadget
    Latherdome and Gadget - thanks - I missed this detail - it had me stumped

This is all just too cool!

Hammock
    $20 Golden Eagle double
    Tarp
    $20 10'x10'
    Insulation
    $20 CDTUQ
    Suspension
    $5 HF straps
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGravity View Post
    1:12 model of a 6-pole, 3-hammock tri-tensahedron constructed today! Pictures below.

I plan to venture out for a couple more tree stakes tomorrow when the crowds subside and build a full version in the yard Sat pm!

Some notes on the prototype:
    * Poles are 8' (inches, whatever), but maybe more like 6.5-7' once lashings are considered
    * Ridgeline needs to be at least 9.5'=114" to handle 5.5x7.5 tarp (free!)
    * I added some tensioning lines at the bottom. I think the lower vertices should be slightly splayed relative to the ridgelines above them... so the lower tension lines should be 5' or so. I think I want to splay a bit to ensure those lower vertices don't slip inward
    * Three lines to pull outward on three higher vertices (purple) are 12'. Two decent stakes in "serial" will hopefully do the trick.
    * I plan to test with two 118" hammocks, one 108" hammock, and three boys <110lbs each
    * Note in the last picture how three rectangular tarps might weave together nicely

Attachment 157580 Attachment 157581 Attachment 157582
    Success! The boys loved it. Thanks all for the great ideas!

Some notes:
    * Diagonal lay works good. Straight lay causes a bit of hammock/pole contact for the largest boy (5'4").
    * I gave it a shot too, seemed to hold up for my 235lbs. Diagonal lay of course. Only was in it for 5 min or so.
    * 3 adults? Not so sure. But three scouts should be no problem. Two of these three were swinging, etc
    * Didn't see a need for ground-level "spread-prevention" lines. 8' tree stakes have a pointed end that dug into the lawn just fine.
    * Very little tarp experimentation. Probably a bit of shock cord will be needed.
    triTH_side.jpg triTH_high.jpg triTH_high2.jpg triTH_stakes.jpg triTH_topvertex.jpg triTH_lash.jpg

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Has anyone tried this stand type with a tarp with "doors" aka a "winter tarp"?

The few photos I have seen have been hex type tarps without doors...im trying to picture it...you may get a gap when you go to close the doors as the poles will interfere...no biggie really....but probably hang up a rain jacket there to close things up in the opening?

Cool DIY stand! That thing looks bombproof! And kids love it....good job dad!

Hammock
    DIY 11.5' (Hexon Wide 1.6)
    Tarp
    Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CDT Underquilt
    Suspension
    Web/Marlin Spike
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post

The few photos I have seen have been hex type tarps without doors...im trying to picture it...you may get a gap when you go to close the doors as the poles will interfere...no biggie really....but probably hang up a rain jacket there to close things up in the opening?

I don't have a tarp with doors... But I had given it thought.
    From an enclosure perspective, I was thinking that the ideal scenerio would be for the tarp to fit within the structure of the stand.
    That said - you might need to duck under the poles to get in/out.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post

My concern with any non-hex tarp would be rubbing. I put a small hole in my Superfly from one of my stands rubbing gently on the tarp.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
    Brady

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Not a dealbreaker for me though, just was curious...brilliant thing bout this, is that even without doors, you can like, I don't know, rotate 90 degrees - or craft a sort of grizz beak to fit between the stand opening to mostly close up one end...etc...totally doable...but there may be issues with typical tarp with doors total enclosure?

• + New Posts
  • Page 41 of 122 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast