DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    will this stand work with 11 ft hammocks and 12 ft RL tarps? Thanks.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGravity View Post
    Beautiful. How's that bamboo feel re: "sturdiness" relative to your weight? Which, if you don't mind me asking, is... ??? (I'm 235lbs, not that you asked.)
    Also, I would think slugbait's shelf liner solution is better for bamboo than my solution for loose lashing with 2" wooden tree stakes: I just made my lashings tighter. (I'd be afraid of bamboo crush-age. But I don't have any experience w bamboo.)
    Now that is what I call McGuiver skills with the bamboo sir! Except for the lashing failure, that is.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Burgman 400; put 4K miles on it first month of ownership
    I used to ride a Burgman 400, even went camping with it:

IMG_8411.JPG

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    This stand looks interesting, I enjoy moto-camping and can't always find suitable trees. Most campgrounds here in New Zealand cater for tents because that is what 99.9% of campers use. I've been thinking about buying a Tato camping stand, but that would only be useful for car camping as it is way too big to load on the bike.

I currently have one of these stands: http://www.ddhammocks.com/us/product..._hammock_stand which I can load on the bike but I had one of the kevlar tension lines break followed by immediate failure of the pole. I'm keen on a better designed stand that I can fit on a motorcycle.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    will this stand work with 11 ft hammocks and 12 ft RL tarps? Thanks.
    Yes

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by raftingtigger View Post
    Don't hold your breath. Latherdome started this all out with carbon fiber poles that held his 160# weight, but with 4 poles. Unlikely what he had would handle the load with only 2 poles, and it was hideously expensive, and still not light enough to backpack with. Close, but not quite. Fragile too.
    I'm pretty sure a 4-pole variant could be made in carbon fiber at actual backpacking weight, still fragile, and maybe $800 material cost, 10% discount for orders over $25K. Kinda nuts, that stuff. 2-pole "half tensahedron" is a fun trick, but the heavy/strong anchoring requirement makes approaches like Raftingtigger's NoGround Trekking or the DD Ultralight a lighter, less fiddly approach with similar strong anchoring requirements.
    Last edited by Latherdome; 12-02-2017 at 00:04.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    If you're like me, you check this thread early and often for new tensahedral goodness. But there's another forum having fun with the stand. It's in German, which if you don't read you can have Chrome auto-translate badly for you, or just check the photos, worth thousands of words in unspecified language: http://www.haengemattenforum.de/foru...1528#post41528

Hammock
    DIY 11.5' (Hexon Wide 1.6)
    Tarp
    Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CDT Underquilt
    Suspension
    Web/Marlin Spike
    If you're like me, you check this thread early and often for new tensahedral goodness. But there's another forum having fun with the stand. It's in German, which if you don't read you can have Chrome auto-translate badly for you, or just check the photos, worth thousands of words in unspecified language: http://www.haengemattenforum.de/foru...1528#post41528
    Vielen Dank

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    Interesting that there is mention of the Handy Hammock Stand on the first page, that is my current stand to take motorcycle camping because it is the only thing I could find that will fit on the bike. The HH stand is pretty clever with its tensegrity design allowing sufficient strength on something small & light enough. But with the HH stand you need 12 pegs and the poles are a pain to put together because you have to get the high tension kevlar lines taut which I find to be something I can struggle with for a few minutes. Often I can halve my trouble by finding one tree or pole to attach my hammock & tarp to and then I only need the HH stand for one end which means only one pole to assemble and 6 pegs used. Whenever possible I use two trees because that is WAY less hassle and sometimes when I can't find suitable trees I look for another option that means I don't need to set up my HH stand.

Examples:
    2 Trees is easiest:
    SI_Trip_01.jpg

No trees, but something else that works:
    SI_Trip_13.jpg

Nothing suitable for both ends, but that pole should work for one end:
    DR650-ColdKiwi1b.jpg
    Excuse the mess, I tidied up after taking the photo.

Close up of the one HH stand used:
    DR650-ColdKiwi1c.jpg

It has occured to me that on a two week motorcycle trip I did everything I could to avoid using my HH stands. I like to have them with me just in case I have nowhere at all I can hang my hammock from, but I'd really love a system that is easier to set up and works so well that I can just happily set up in any tent space at any camp ground and not be bothered if I have trees I can use or not.

With the tensahedron stand you can set up with only 1 or maybe 2 pegs needed, that has to be way less hassle than needing 12 pegs just to hold down the hammock stand. I'd be willing to pay pretty good money for a better stand, I've already been considering $325 + shipping to get the Tato stand - I'll hold off on that purchase for now especially since I was never going to be able to fit in on the bike and could only use it at home or when car camping. Considering how much I could pay for a Tato stand, I'd be willing to pay more for a really good tensahedron stand - maybe $400-$500 if that is what it cost to make one good enough to work great and last a long time. To me there is a huge value to having a stand that can be transported on a motorcycle.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Whoa!!! Then Germans are doin some math and stuff!! Impressive

I need to learn German just to read the thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

• + New Posts
  • Page 44 of 122 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast