Page 110 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112120 ... LastLast
Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 1213
    Hi all!
    In this "stay at home" period, we must find occupations... My 4 bamboo poles are now dry, and I started my tensahedron stand. I intend to use it home indoor only (I live in a flat), when the rain is falling on the balcony (which happens often here in the French West Indies as the wind always blows from the same direction!). Poles are 260cm (~102'') then not easy to transport....
    I started with the shearlashing at the extremities. I have now moved the upper one about 35cm (~14'') lower which seems to be the right lenght for my HAMMOCK BLISS "No-See-Um" with only the continuous loop at each end. I think I'll cut that later. I use a simple marlinspike hitch kept setted at the right length.
    The stand is attached at the foot end to my sofa foot, and to a simple chair to secure the head end.
    Overall cost: aroud 15€ just for the cord, and some sweat drops for the bamboo sawing
    It is quite bulky as I need to move my furniture to get the space. My wife is not so happy with that , but I can keep it folded in one corner of the dinnig room to store it when unused...
    DO NOT LOOK AT THE MESSY ROOM !

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    I guess with that huge smile on your face you must like it. Good looking stand.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Here’s my blow-by-blow description of how I built my stand, including metric sizing and Aussie dollars:

I basically used Mike Jones’ method (https://www.tensaoutdoor.com) modified for my circumstances. This is for a 12 foot hammock.

Final material list:
    * 4 x 25mm x 25mm x 2mm x 1500mm steel (square tubing) - $22
    * 4 x 20mm x 20mm x 21.6m x 1500mm steel (square tubing). Check that this can (just) slide inside the 25mm tubing - $14
    * 1200mm of 4mm wire rope that I then cut into 4 equal lengths - $2
    * 4 x 4mm wire grips - $13
    * 4 x M6 bolts with wing nuts. I got them 30mm long but they’re a little short - $11
    * 184 cm of 25.4mm webbing - already had this
    * 7m of cord (4m for the ridgeline, 3m for the foot-end tether - already had this
    Total cost: $62 plus bits and pieces I already had.

Note that this is heavy (13.6kg) but it appears to be bombproof.
    I’m only ever going to use this at home or when car camping so it’s not an issue.

Tools:
    * Drill and bits - a small one for the guide holes and a 6.5mm one for the final holes
    * Cold chisel and hammer to cut the wire rope
    * Pliers
    * Spanner for the nuts on the wire grips
    * Ruler / tape measure / pens

Process:
    1. In each 25.mm steel tube, drill a 6.5mm hole 127mm (5 inches) from one end and 102mm (4 inches) from the other.
    2. In each 19mm steel tube, drill a 6.5mm hole 51mm (2 inches) from each end.
    3. Note that the holes should be in the centre of the tubing, however don’t be surprised if you need to make some minor amendments to the holes when it comes time to assemble the tubes.
    4. Slide the 19mm tubing inside the 25mm tubing (from the end with the hole closer to the end) then connect the two tubes together with the M6 bolts and wing nuts. You may have to “mix and match” the tubing to get the best alignment with the holes and then do some adjustments with the drill.
    5. Label each pair of tubing so you can put them together again once they’ve been disassembled. I used a simple system of 1, 2, 3, 4 for each pair.
    6. Connect two of the 25mm steel tubes together with the wire rope and the wire grips. Then connect the other two in the same way. This forms the two bases.
    7. Connect the bases together with the webbing and spread them apart (makes it easier to visualise the next step).
    8. Connect one of the 19mm tubes with another one from the opposite base (using the wire rope / wire grips. Do the same with the other two tubes. This forms the two tops.
    9. Connect the two tops together with 410mm of cord. This is the hammock ridgeline.
    10. Add around 3m of cord to one of the heads and leave the other end free. This is the foot-end tether.
    11. Check every connection to make sure they are tight.
    12. Have a beer / soft drink as it’s now all ready to try out.

Tryout:
    1. Find a spot with enough room. You might like to ensure a soft surface below you just in case!
    2. Lie the stand on the ground with the tops close to whatever you’re going to tie it off to. This may be a fixed object or an appropriately-sized tent peg.
    3. Connect the tether to the tie-off point. Guesstimate how much tether you need - you will be able to adjust this later.
    4. Lift the head end of the stand until the ridgeline is taut then keep lifting to raise the foot end. Make sure you stop when the head end is below the foot end.
    5. Adjust the tether to ensure that it all looks okay.
    6. Connect your hammock and adjust to get the perfect 30 degree angle.
    7. Gradually lower yourself into a sitting position on the hammock - making sure that your weight is towards the head end.
    8. Once you’re happy that it’s all going to hold, swing your legs up and assume the hammocking position. Prepare for the adulation of your friends and relatives.

Photos:

Connecting the tubing:

Connecting the bases:

And the tops:

The finished article:

And disassembled:

Hope that helps someone!

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
    Hope that helps someone!
    Very nice. Thanks for sharing.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Are there square “feet” to put on the ends of the square tubing? It looks like you'd have a lot of lbs (kilo’s) per square foot on a narrow wedge at the bottom of the tubes.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Finally got around to building my tensahedron stand today. I went with 3/4" and 1" Emt conduit, so the poles are telescopic- which will make them break down to around 5' for transport. I followed Mike Jones' instructions on Tensa's website for my build. Only I didn't drill all of the adjustment holes, only the 9'6" setting. I used some extra soft shackles, Amsteel, tree straps, and paracord for all of my connections and tieouts.

This stand works great, and was very easy to build. It's also daughter-approved

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Latherdome, raftingtigger, I've seen you guys talk about recommendations for ID/OD sizing for various materials (steel, aluminum, wood, bamboo), but haven't seen any recomendations on carbon fiber.

Doing some deflection calculations, it looks like 27mm OD/25mm ID carbon fiber tubing would provide about double the strength as a 32mm OD/30.4 ID Aluminium tube.

Is this on par with what you found in your testing? Or can I go skinnier for the carbon fiber? Does sectioning the legs require upsizing?

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief

Tensahedron Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Lenaxia View Post
    Latherdome, raftingtigger, I've seen you guys talk about recommendations for ID/OD sizing for various materials (steel, aluminum, wood, bamboo), but haven't seen any recomendations on carbon fiber.

Doing some deflection calculations, it looks like 27mm OD/25mm ID carbon fiber tubing would provide about double the strength as a 32mm OD/30.4 ID Aluminium tube.

Is this on par with what you found in your testing? Or can I go skinnier for the carbon fiber? Does sectioning the legs require upsizing?
    Carbon fiber composite tubes differ considerably based on strand orientation (layup), CF and manufacturing qualities, so it’s harder to generalize. If you optimize for one quality it comes at expense of others (e.g. maximizing longitudinal stiffness tends to compromise torsional and crush strength).

In general you get more stiffness for weight by increasing diameter than wall thickness. But then you get something easily damaged in casual handling, especially once you move away from pure columns and introduce jointed or telescopic sections.

Certainly 27/25mm CF can be plenty strong for... something. I wouldn’t venture to guess prudent weight limits without physical trial including joints and connectors, that are more likely failure points than right along the body. Also: pole length matters hugely. Short is much stronger than long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Carbon fiber composite tubes differ considerably based on strand orientation (layup), CF and manufacturing qualities, so it’s harder to generalize. If you optimize for one quality it comes at expense of others (e.g. maximizing longitudinal stiffness tends to compromise torsional and crush strength).

In general you get more stiffness for weight by increasing diameter than wall thickness. But then you get something easily damaged in casual handling, especially once you move away from pure columns and introduce jointed or telescopic sections.

Certainly 27/25mm CF can be plenty strong for... something. I wouldn’t venture to guess prudent weight limits without physical trial including joints and connectors, that are more likely failure points than right along the body. Also: pole length matters hugely. Short is much stronger than long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You mentioned in your original post that your prototype was carbon fiber. Can you share the specs of those poles, at least to give me a starting point?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Are there square “feet” to put on the ends of the square tubing? It looks like you'd have a lot of lbs (kilo’s) per square foot on a narrow wedge at the bottom of the tubes.
    Yep - they were in the hardware shop right next to the tubing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 110 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112120 ... LastLast