Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I used it for an Edge Tarp for a year and it lasted but very fragile with any Dutch bling to catch on. I switched to 5 hair ties and used that for the next year or so and liked it better. Have a video on my You Tube Channel if interested. However, actual skins or Sleeves works better on larger tarps. I didn’t go cheap on my Palace Tarp and have ended up buying both CF and now mesh Sleeves. I like Hammock Gear because it is one piece (i.e. Sleeve) that slides easily and has a tunnel larger opening on one end that is works great while the other end is tapered.
    "gbolt" on the Trail
    We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!
    YouTubeChannel. [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA]

Hammock
    DIY homebrew
    Chiming in that they are too fragile - I used one as a fishing rod (with reel attached) 'skin". I was very careful putting it on, had help, but it tore pretty much immediately. I think 20 minutes with a sewing machine and fabric from the dollar bin at a JoAnns/Hancocks/Wally World would end up being longer lasting and probably not significantly heavier - even if you used the 'mesh' (called toulle, I think) used for bride's maids dresses. (it's not tough, but doesn't tear nearly as easily).

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    They are cheap and work great until you can afford or make a proper set.

Mine are solid Silnylon with a 3in tube diameter and cost $7. Can't get my hand in the end, but once the Toxaway is swallowed up, that tarp packs into a small coil. Saves a lot of space, harder to catch a snag, and I don't really think a wet tarp dries out that much once it's swallowed up, whether the material be mesh or not.
    Signature suspended

Is there a tutorial for DIY skins?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Aegismax 40* Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by hang-loose View Post
    Is there a tutorial for DIY skins?
    For the loofahs? I just cut the string that holds it together and stretched the tube out. I slid the mesh tube over my arm like a sleeve, grabbed one end of the tarp ridge line and slid the mesh tube over. Did the same thing on the other end. At that point, I hung the tarp to make it easier to work on. I used 1/16 shock cord, rolled one end of a tube back on itself to double it up a couple of inches and laced the cord in and out through the mesh (almost like sewing) until I went around the whole circumference. Secured the cords with a square knot. Did that to all four ends. The ends where the ridge line comes out I tie a little tighter; the ends that slide, a little looser. I overlap the two ends in the middle when in use. This was all done by guess and by golly. Have a go at it and have fun.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuban w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG top and bottom
    Suspension
    Kevlar Whoopie
    The loofa works for me. For $1, I just replace it when it gets torn up but it usually lasts at least a couple hundred miles.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    Kelty Noahs 12
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

loofah as snake skin?

+1 on the elastic hair ties, used these all year with kelty noah 12' with no problems and quick deployment/packing. Not dissing skins by any means, they just havent been a priority for me as far as fundz for gear goes.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    I looked at a stuffed loofah (shower puff) and was dubious. I ordered one of these http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/cott...orage-sleeves/ and it seems to me that they are so much better and will last so much longer that at only $25 they are a bargain and so totally worth getting. I'm thinking about buying a 12ft tarp and if I do I'll buy another set of snake skins from mountain goat gear with no hesitation.

I saw the idea for loofah just the other day. I haven't tried it with a tarp but I did stick on one my daughters hammock yo keep it from billowing in the wind. Didn't trim it or anything yet. But yes, super fragile, especially laterally and with snags.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I saw the idea for loofah just the other day. I haven't tried it with a tarp but I did stick on one my daughters hammock to keep it from billowing in the wind. Didn't trim it or anything yet. But yes, super fragile, especially laterally and with snags.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast