Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by voivalin View Post
    Are those few times when I could use JackR'Better quilt as clothing enough to purchase their top quilt - that is the question.
    You are the only one that can answer that question.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yep - you gotta figure out what works for you.

Re: the damp TQ, I don't put it on until I've cooled down from hiking, and I don't spend much time around camp in it before I turn in. Just my style of hiking. I think sitting around for a sunset, with the NS under a rain jacket, would leave your TQ in fine condition for sleeping. I wouldn't want to hike in it, chop firewood, or wear it like that when it was actually raining.

Works for me...the NS is one of the few pieces of gear that comes on nearly every trip with me.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    also depends on what clothing you are already using... if you have warm clothing and dont need to wear your top quilt in camp the the head hole is a mute point

the dedicated footbox is warmer then the cinch cord option and on the quilt i have i believe the velcro on the foot box is more trouble then its worth it sticks to everything but i wear wool stuff but i feel it would stick to synthetics too.

unfortunately there is alot of people here who love Jacks R better and dont have alot of experience with brandons new quilts so you are going to get alot of people saying Jacks for that reason

Just one word to the wise if you are using your top quilt as a camp jacket then you are taking a risk that you may not have it for sleeping so many things happen in camp and if you cant do all of them with the quilt on then a jacket would be better I personally like to keep my sleep stuff separate its just safer (Winter)

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsawyer222 View Post

unfortunately there is alot of people here who love Jacks R better and dont have alot of experience with brandons new quilts so you are going to get alot of people saying Jacks for that reason
    I dont have any JRB stuff yet, and just got a Black Mamba TQ. Recently got a KAQ. But just from learning from everyone on this site- ALL the hammock gear makers that frequent this site make VERY GOOD QUALITY products. Its not whether something is better than something else, its which of these quality products work best for my style of hammock camping?

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Order has been done

I ordered whole set from Warbonnet (Blackbird, Superfly, doors, UQ, TQ). Simplicity is the key factor for me. When I go to sleep I like it to be as simple as possible, just get in and under Top Quilt no modifications no extra hassle.

Other consideration was warmth. I have been building rig from Hennessy hammock for temperatures as low as -35 C. I have succeeded. But system is too heavy. I hope Warbonnet will be almost as warm and much lighter and simpler to use. If all goes well I will be cross country skiing with pulk in Lapland for 14 days at weeks 14 and 15. Quite north, norther than polar circle. There will be nights when temperature drops to -25 C, but propably not much under that. At daytimes it can be + 5-10 C and very sunny.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=6...81158&t=h&z=10

Thanks again, Your answers helpped Me a lot!

P.S. Also if all goes well there will be lots of pictures from my trip and hanging sites here in Hammock forums when I come back. Maybe even a small review about Warbonnet Blackbird in winter use.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sounds like a great trip, and I'm sure you'll be happy with your purchase. Definitely looking forward to your report and pics!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hei Hei....
    You will be good to go with that set up ... I am!!! Minnesota and Finland are very comparable temp wise.
    Have a terrific trip...
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I'm one of those people that likes to have something that fills one role very well. that's why I like the Black Mamba. It functions as a TQ incredibly well. Truth be told in warmer temperatures I could probably use the Black Mamba on the ground when drafts aren't as impacting.

I've never owned a JRB quilt, but I've never found a piece of gear that fills two roles as good as one piece of gear that was designed to fill one role, and only one role. I understand a lot of people really love having the wearable quilt functionality, but the thought of trying to put that wearable quilt on at 3am to answer the call of nature isn't exactly a positive one for me. Therefore I'll carry my down jacket and a top quilt.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    Brandon made the Black Mamba with design characteristics from an Ultra20 I sent him. I sent with it a list of the things I thought were weaknesses with the GoLite design. From what I gather, he looked over the Ultra20 (which is pretty popular here), took my suggestions and those from others on the site into consideration, and came out with a stellar product. I'd go with the Mamba all the way. I love my Ultra20, and he seems to have improved on most of its weak points.

Quote Originally Posted by LyttleBryan View Post
    I'm one of those people that likes to have something that fills one role very well. that's why I like the Black Mamba. It functions as a TQ incredibly well. Truth be told in warmer temperatures I could probably use the Black Mamba on the ground when drafts aren't as impacting.

I've never owned a JRB quilt, but I've never found a piece of gear that fills two roles as good as one piece of gear that was designed to fill one role, and only one role. I understand a lot of people really love having the wearable quilt functionality, but the thought of trying to put that wearable quilt on at 3am to answer the call of nature isn't exactly a positive one for me. Therefore I'll carry my down jacket and a top quilt.

Is the Black Mamba too narrow to use comfortably on the ground? I am in an out of AT shelters depending on the weather and my mood, it would be nice if it would work for both. Any opinions on the width?

dg

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast