Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    it would probably work for me (5'10", 170#) there's enough side coverage if you lay on your back, if you lay fetal on the ground you might get drafts. it's 47-48 at the head end tapering to 42 at the foot. would be considered a narrow ground quilt, but the jrb's are 48" wide and are used by some ground users. i think many nunataks and the golite ultra are closer to 55 wide or so

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    If I got some of that yellow tape that says "Wide Load" and ran it down the sides of the Black Mamba, I might be able to use it on the ground.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    A couple notes of clarity...

First a sewn in foot box is no warmer than a cinched end foot box that is fully closed with the wrapping of the cinch cord,..There is absolutely no air leak under these conditions... A sewn in foot box may be more convient... But it trades off tremperature comfort in warmer weather for that convience...The JRB standard foot box capability (omni tape and draw cord) allows one to fully vent feet while still in a leg tube , or half vent or quarter vent as ones comfort varies in the upper end of temp uses.... It also allows for full flat use when desired...Sewn in foot box, although not a recommended approach, is an available modification on JRB quilts.

The title of this thread causes over simplification...

JRB makes 23 quilts models and lengths...They allow for customers to chose summer, three season and or winter weights as well as provide for users of different heights...

There are fractional quilts and fractional quilts that convert to full length UQ, so one does not have to choose 2/3 or full length...

There are quilts specifically designed for the ground dwellers, The recently released Sierra Sniveller and the upcoming High Sierra Sniveller ... At a full 52 inches wide shoulders thru the hip to thigh then tapering to 42 inches...Much better tuck for ground sleepers and clearly better coverage for ground side sleepers...

There are quilts for the much larger and taller folks...Large enough that many use them as quilts for two...

There are quilts with features that match right up to HHs.

There are quilts several with wearable designs to let those whoe desire to go lighter to use them as camp wear and reduce extra items in shoulder seasons.

There are plain vanilla economy models that still excell as either UQ or TQ for greater flexibility for thier owners.

There is no one perfect quilt for all folk and every circumstance... It is all about customer options.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

sure as recently noted there are pros associated with cinched-end footboxes, and cons associated with mummy-style ones, but it goes the other way too, there are also cons with the rectangular quilt and pros for the mummy-style.

here's what i can think of off the top of my head.

a rectangular quilt with drawcord closure uses more material and more down to replace the round panel at the end of a round bottom footbox. for instance on a rectangular quilt, the portion that would be equivalent to the round panel of a round-bottom footbox is 1 baffle x the width of the quilt (7"x 42" or 48"). according to my math, it uses about 2 times as much fabric and down to enclose the end of the quilt. when you include that with omnitape and drawcord and cordlocks it's going to be close to 3/4-1 oz for a 3 season quilt, so that's an extra 0.75-1 oz of overfill you could spread around with no weight gain.

there's no velcro to snag your socks or pick up debris, which is a feature i'm very fond of.

you don't have to worry about what to do with the 4' of cord hanging off the end of your footbox when it's cinched.

the footbox is less bulky, from an aesthetic point of view i personally think it's a cleaner more sophisticated look. some care about that some don't.

things have been moving in the direction of dedicated uq/tq for awhile now, and a mummy-style footbox is a nice feature on a dedicated tq (imo). venting the footbox is something you can't do, so you have to ask yourself if that's a feature you need. personally my feet would overheat last of all, and i have never had an issue with only one part of my body over heating, if i get hot i can throw the tq off my torso some and my whole body cools down, you can always pull a leg out of the footbox. all topquilts can be vented regardless of weather the footbox is permenent or tied.

due to the avail choices, the head-hole thing is a difference, although there is no reason a mummy-style quilt couldn't be designed with one. a closed footbox at one end and open edge at the other is still plenty of width to cover a even a big belly.

the mamba does have a neck closure at the head end which does a really nice job of tensioning the sides of the quilt under your body, which enhances it's tuck by helping to keep it tucked better, and makes for a signifigantly more efficient seal around the neck, and also keeps the quilt snug under your chin which keeps you from breathing all over it so much. it really makes alot more of a difference than you'd imagine.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm going to move this thread out of the JRB forum and into the Top Insulation forum since it's a direct comparison between two vendors' products. Let's all be sure to focus on the OP's questions, posted below as a reminder:

Quote Originally Posted by voivalin View Post
    Can You help me please. I'm thinking to order Blackbird with under quilt from Warbonnet. That is what I need. But because of the mailing from USA to Finland I could order Black Mamba top quilt with same order. Or I could choose to order JRB top quilt with some extra stuff (hood and sleeves) later.

I like the Black mamba because it is simple. But if JRB does what it says, it would be great multipurpose system. But I have learned at this age that "do all" is not always good for nothing. Are there any caveats in JRB system. Does anyone use all those nice options (down to earth omintape etc.) constantly in real world? Or is the truth that Snivellers are used mostly as a simple over quilts?

For example In my experience omni-tape does not work very well after few years of use when it gets old and if the gear's usability is based on omni-tape in my opinion that is not a good thing.

In one sentence: Should I bother to order JRB with it's many options or to get it on with Black mamba's simplicity?

Here are the contenders:

The Rocky Mountain Sniveller (Long) weighs 28 oz., comes with a 1.5 oz. silnyl compression sack, and can be stuffed to 8”x8”x10”; Thickness 3".

Black Mamba Winter Long rated 0 F; Thickness 3"; Weight of the down 17 oz; Weight 27.8 oz

And links are:

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Wearable%20Quilts.htm

http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/topquilt.php
    Last edited by Just Jeff; 02-09-2010 at 07:18. Reason: Moved it to the wrong forum the first time. DOH!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

How wide is enough?

Quote Originally Posted by damngoat View Post
    Is the Black Mamba too narrow to use comfortably on the ground? I am in an out of AT shelters depending on the weather and my mood, it would be nice if it would work for both. Any opinions on the width?

dg
    I am a wide bodied side sleeper. The Stealth quilt at 48" is wide enough for summer. The No Sniveller at 48" is wide enough when used with a bivy for spring and fall. The width is the outside measurement. At a loft of 2.5" the coverage may be adequate, but at a loft of 3.5" it may not. You need less width in a hammock than you do on the ground.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    'You need less width in a hammock than you do on the ground' and that is why for the most part the Mambas are hammock specific...it was my complaint on the nunataks-so much excess material to carry/pack...but the nunataks were never marketed for hammock and were def. designed for the alpinist.