WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I own and have used both. Well, I've got the 3-Season Black Mamba (the BM ) not the Winter model. I have used my RMS extensively and have been very, very pleased with it. The finished Black Mamba design I've only been using for a couple of months now.

Totally agree with angrysparrow, depends on your style. I just posted this in another thread, but I have not really used the head-hole of the RMS that often. The few times I have used it, it has been marvelous. But, I'm too scared of getting it close to the fire at camp. If you aren't a fire-person, then the RMS is a FANTASTIC quilt. I don't sleep on the ground and I'm a still sleeper, so I've never had use for the wings. I do have a couple of the hoods that I very much like. Tis true that when it comes to versatility, the Jacks do a pretty bang-up job.

Like you, I am a big fan of simplicity in some of my set-ups. I like the weight savings simple things bring me and the Black Mamba is certainly no exception there. The footbox is very roomy. I don't know if it has larger dimensions than the footbox that can be made with the JRB quilts, but it sure feels roomier. It was built to be a topquilt and only a topquilt and I believe it excels in the role. I've been able to go well below the rating on the 3-Season while staying very warm. Finding a better quality topquilt will be no easy task.

You'll get a very high quality product either way you decide to go. Both of these shops are on most people's short list. My preference is towards the Black Mambas due to their reduced weight for the same, if not more, amount of heat retention. Good luck with your decision!
    I would like to get a black mamba made with a head-hole (drawstring so you can cinch it around your neck). That would be my ultimate tq probably, but i have yet to actually see a mamba in person, so still waiting.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    so far most important point made is that the Mamba is hammock specific, intended to be used with an UQ....versus the JRB which can be splayed out flat and square and used on the bed at home too if you want...the Jacks offer a system as does Warbonnet--you have to decide which system you want. The Jack system is as stated above more variable, the Mamba probably lighter for a specific use. You can go to ground with a Mamba, dont think you cant but it is a tighter fit and you wont be rolling around as much as you can say under a Hudson River....personal choice here, just like religeon!!

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    Get the Mamba and save yourself on shipping.

Jacks use 7" wide baffles vs. 5" baffles on the Warbonnet. Warbonnets are stuffed full of down and it won't shift around causing cold spots like the Jacks' underfilled quilts do. The Warbonnet footbox is far superior to the drawstring footbox on the Jacks', which requires a sock to keep cold air from cold air drafting.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have absolutely no problem with the JRB footboxes. If I want to cinch it up tight, I just wrap the drawstring around the bottom and get no drafts whatsoever. Never had a problem with it, ever. Actually, I think it's an advantage b/c in the summer I'll leave a smaller opening so I can stick my feet out when I need to cool off...can't do that with most other quilts or bags.

Re: the underfill...you can always request an overstuff if you think the stock is inadequate.

Not knocking the Warbonnet b/c I haven't tried it yet, but I've got four JRB quilts, and have had two of them for over five years, and I haven't had the problems you're so adamant about. (I did send the first two back for an overstuff, but JRB has now made that amount standard.)
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldspring View Post
    Warbonnets are stuffed full of down and it won't shift around causing cold spots like the Jacks' underfilled quilts do. The Warbonnet footbox is far superior to the drawstring footbox on the Jacks', which requires a sock to keep cold air from cold air drafting.
    That's unfair, Coldspring.

There are literally hundreds of people that have no problem with the JRB footbox closure, and the thousands of warm nights spent under those quilts is at odds with your opinion.

I'm certain that the Mamba is a fine design, well executed. But that doesn't make the JRB design less, somehow.

There are a lot of hangers, and there is a lot of variation among those hangers. One design is not perfect for everyone...
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Voivalin - I often wear my JRB No Sniveller. I usually wear my raingear over it so the quilt doesn't get dirty, and if I get an ember on it the raincoat will be much cheaper to replace than the quilt. It's really great for trips that are just a bit colder than I planned for...I always have backup, w/o carrying the bulk and weight of an extra jacket.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    My coldest recorded temp (-17F) was under a JRB RMS. Not a thing wrong with that quilt IMO. I'm sure the WB Winter Black Mambas will allow me to go just as low, but I can't knock a quilt that will take me that low with such relative comfort.

A big part of my preference for the Black Mambas is because I don't need the flexibility of being able to use the quilt as a topquilt or underquilt because I use the Yetis almost exclusively for underquilts. A dedicated topquilt just makes more sense in conjunction with the rest of my set-up.

I will promise you this much about the RMS, you'll never see mine in the "For Sale" forum. Nope, it's mine and I'm keepin it!
    Then again, you won't see any of my Warbonnet quilts there either. Basically, just don't look for my stuff in that forum.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    agreeing with AS, the issue is not build quality at all. I too am blessed with several JRB quilts and love them all. Slept under a mt.rogers this afternoon in fact. The issue of inadaquate amounts of fill is also moot in my eyes...from what I've seen ALL of our industries (Te-wa,WB,Jacks,Speers,etc) provide more than adaquate fill and more than that if you insist. The comparable issue is intent of use. If I want to be able to wear my TQ then no doubt the Jacks have the advantage; if abs. efficiency in weight carried for a TQ them Mamba wins.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I use a JRB quilt on my WBBB and it works perfectly. But, by judging by the usefulness and design of the WBBB, I'm sure anything that Brandon makes is probably fist rate. So, I think you have to ask yourself if you want a head hole or not?
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Thanks for Your help

I have been pondering and pondering.

I like the idea to get up in the morning and take My warm over quilt with me to keep me warm during breakfast. Then at the evening it would be very nice to be dressed up warmly and sit down watch for example sunset. And also there would be no need to take extra layer of clothes with Me for warmth if I could use top quilt as a jacket if the colder weather hits by suprise.

But I'm bit worried that when using my sleeping system as an extra clothing it could get damp. And that would not be nice to use damp top quilt during night. So even if there would be need for extra clothing the weather may be too wet or the user can be too sweaty for using top quilt as an extra clothing.

Are those few times when I could use Jack's-R-Better quilt as clothing enough to purchase their top quilt - that is the question.
    Last edited by voivalin; 02-05-2010 at 14:18.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast