Looking for the BEST option for trekking poles to use as (36") spreader bars

Before anyone jumps all over me I assure you I did several searches of the forum and found some GREAT info but most threads are at least 2 years old and I was wondering if there were any new products or opinions.

I am going to be making an Ariel bridge hammock (irrelevant to the point) and hoping to use trekking poles as spreader bars. I will end up needing 2 36" spreader bars and while I have seen a few techniques I want something strong enough to hold me and not give way (I am under 175 lbs), something easy to convert with out a bunch of fiddling with the poles for set up and take down (think low to no mod), and something that will be a good trekking pole (I prefer flick locks and cork handles).

I've seen people use poles that have camera mounts built in and this seems most appealing as it checks the box for no fiddling but I'm not sure if those options are strong enough or if anyone makes a 'good' set of poles with this feature.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    One way around needing "no fiddle"camera mounts would be to build the hammock with (webbing?) pockets on one side to capture the pole handles.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator 0 UQ
    I have used these poles for my bridge hammock (ridge runner clone) for about 10-12 nights. Not flick locks or cork handles, but definitely strong enough.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hammock
    90' Hammock Tent, WBRR, DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba, DIY
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, EE 30F TQ
    Suspension
    UCR, Mule tape
    Images
    I second IrishSitter's choice of the Mountainsmith Trekker FX 7075 Trekking Pole/Camera Monopod, from Amazon.com. I recently bought a pair of these for my Warbonnet- inspired DIY bridge hammock and used them for a weekend backpacking trip in Sept. They were great! The poles were strong and did not retract at all during the 2 nights I used them. I also have a pair of Leki Sierra Antishock poles that I use with my bridge hammocks ( http://atkenco.com/leki/leki-sierra-...EaAv2kEALw_wcB ). I think I prefer the Mountainsmith poles.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    The Mountainsmith’s are the “Standard” when it comes to trekking poles used with a Bridge. You can also use the Komperdell camera staff if you want something a bit lighter.

https://www.trekkinn.com/outdoor-mou...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have used these all this summer successfully and I’m currently at 225 so 175 should be a piece of cake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I used the Mountain Smith's with my WBRR. I also inserted a small wooden dowel into the tube so that the dowell took the load stress and not the hiking pole tighteners. I did this only in the longer pole (WBRR uses two length poles) the shorter pole was the correct length when fully collapsed.

• + New Posts