Tarp
    WB Mamajamba, DIY
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, EE 30F TQ
    Suspension
    UCR, Mule tape
    Images

Grommet system to connect poles to a bridge hammock

Thought I would share this info in case any of you are looking for a light weight/ low tech/ no hardware way of creating attachment points on a DIY bridge hammock for your bridge poles.

I recently built a couple of DIY bridge hammocks. After looking at the design, I decided to replace the aluminum connectors that we traditionally use to connect the ropes to the bridge hammock with a 'grommet' type connector system. Here are a few photos of the grommet connectors in action...

Basically, I bought a 1/4" grommet kit (which included the gear needed to fasten the grommets together) off Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and used those grommets as the connection points for my poles. Here's how I worked the grommets into my build ...

1) After you have cut out and sewed your bridge hammock body together, you are ready to make and connect the pole connection straps to your hammock. Following the recommendations by Bic in his excellent bridge hammock video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXlSA9shWJc), I cut my bridge hammock pole connector straps from mule tape. You can use either mule tape (ie from Lowe's) or polyester straps. I prefer mule tape because it has a more open weave that allows the 1/4" grommets to be pushed through it. You can also use polyester webbing for your pole connection straps. See Step 3 below for more info on that....

2) I added some additional stitching to the mule tape in the loop to keep the strap weave together (that's the black stitching you see in the photos). I probably didn't need this but it made me feel more secure.

3) I pushed the male end of a grommet through both sides of the mule strap connection loops. Once they were through, I placed the female part of the grommet over male end of the grommet that had been pushed through both side of the connector loop and, using the grommet tool that came with the kit, hammered the two grommet pieces together so that they were tightly fastened through both sides of the pole connector loops. Note: if you are using polyester webbing for the pole connector loop, you would simply burn a round hole through both both sides of the connector loops with a heated 1/4" metal rod. The melted hole is what you push your male grommet piece through.

4) Connect your bridge hammock straps through the loops on the end of your pole connectors, insert the ends of your bridge poles through the 1/4 grommet holes and you are ready to use.

I have been using the grommet connector setup on this hammock build for over a month, including several camping trips, and there has been no movement or issues with this setup. Obviously, making sure that your grommets are very securely fastened to the connector loops is critical.

I hope some of the DIY Bridge hammock makers find value in this.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Great idea... they also work on Grizz’s bridge design....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I thought grommets were hardware

IMG_0338cropped (Large).jpg IMG_3397 (Medium).JPG

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I'm impressed. I had a run at grommets a while back, but was trying to embedded them in a wider strap through which I had to punch a hole. Always saw the strap pulling away from the grommet under tension, and so tossed the idea onto to the dustbin of history. Y'all made it work!
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    DIY Sinister Ariel Black
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Integrated Down
    Suspension
    Kevlar and Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    I thought grommets were hardware