WB RR
    Tarp
    SLD WH
    Insulation
    MH 0 Bag/LL 0 RR
    Suspension
    STRAPS

SIMPLY LIGHT DESIGN'S Winter Haven

Let me make it clear from the onset that I believe with perhaps only one or two exceptions all of the regular cottage vendors here on the forum do well at communicating with potential buyers, and make some fine winter tarps. In my case after considerable reading of all I could find about larger winter tarps, including customer reviews and inquires with vendors/makers of said product I decided on SLD's 13' Winter Haven.

Now a good bit of what follows has already been said about Jared, nevertheless I want to add 'my two cents' as it relates to my dealings with him and the final product. First off the response time to emails of any length, meaning a single question or many is nearly immediate. In every case he provided clear/detailed/concise answers and when he thought it might be helpful he offered suggestions. Courteous and never a hint of impatience with any of my inquires/emails made it a real pleasure communicating with this gentleman. As a side note I wish I were in close promixity to his place of business 'cause I believe it would be a geniune pleasure dealing with him face to face.

The tarp itself is excellence in it's purest and simplistic form with no 'gingerbread' needed to enchance it. SilPoly fabric maintains a taut pitch, stitches/stitching throughout is equal and straight, side pullouts located perfectly for RR hammock, Line-Locs provide very, very easy staking/tensioning, seam sealing seems to have been done by an artist so neat and smooth, no smearing or blobs. Hard to imagine a tarp of any higher quality that offers so much space for such light weight,...28 oz. Delighted and totally satisfied with this purchase 101%.

Having used the tarp for 3 months now I decided to add an exterior pole mod in lieu of sticks/branches which in combination with the pullouts had been my choice for achieving more interior space. Not being sure if the mod would provide as much space as I was getting with the pullout/stick system I asked Jared if I could return the mod if it didn't meet my expectations,...absolutely, no problem. Within 3 days from my inquiry, from west to east the mod was in my hands. Turns out to be even better than I anticipated. Did away with 4 stakes, 4 line tensioners and 48' of line which lessened the total weight of the mod to 3.1 oz. Best of all no additional guylines to possibly trip over.

However I did have one concern and that was whether or not the webbing/grommet system Jared uses to hold the poles would prevent the pole tip from slipping out of the grommet when the pole was under a lot of tension. I asked about this and in his usual gracious customer service manner he offered an alternative solution,...at no additional cost and to be shipped immediately.

I almost forgot to mention about a price adjustment/credit he made to my credit card because of an oversight in communications. Tell me it doesn't get any better than that in dealing with a business. So, all due respect to everyone, from my perspective, Jared, is definitely a leader among the vendors here in all areas of customer service and product.

I enjoyed reading that. Very thought out and solidified my plans to buy one of his simplicity asym tarps for next spring/summer/fall in the future.

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    I have to say Jared's communication was a big factor in me choosing the Winter Haven over the Winter Palace this week.

Mine is on the docket as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanhalo View Post
    I went with:

Winter Haven 4-Season Tarp

• - Catenary Cut: Yes
    • - Color: Silpoly XL - U-Pick Color
    • - Door Ends: With Snaps
    • - Length: 11 Foot
    • - Line Locs: Swap for D-Rings (standard)
    • - Seam Sealing: Yes
    • - Side Panel Pull Outs: Yes

Customizations

• Silpoly XL Color - Dark Olive
    • Center pole mod
    • Middle edge tie downs

Similar to this:

Attachment 156020

Except with Silpoly XL
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by Pithecanthropus View Post
    I enjoyed reading that. Very thought out and solidified my plans to buy one of his simplicity asym tarps for next spring/summer/fall in the future.
    I bought one of Simply Light Designs, a oversize ASym out of Marpat to go with my SLD Marpat Hammock. As always it is perfect. Super speed delivery. The entire transaction was first class from start
    to finish.

ALSO I order DIY supplies from him. Jared ALWAYS SENDS ME EXACTLY WHAT I REQUESTED, he has never shorted me.

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven 11
    Insulation
    Yeti/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I ordered a 12' Winter Haven with custom pull outs to fit my RR hammock. Already use a 11' Trail Haven for my Dutch net less 11' hammock and love the tarp. I have no doubts the WH will be just as nice.

Did you Winter Haven owners consider SLD's Trail Haven with removable doors? I'm thinking it would provide 4-season protection, with a lighter 3-season option, in a single tarp, and would appreciate any advice.

I'll echo everyone's comments about Jared - informative, courteous, prompt.

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RippedTopShelf View Post
    Did you Winter Haven owners consider SLD's Trail Haven with removable doors? I'm thinking it would provide 4-season protection, with a lighter 3-season option, in a single tarp, and would appreciate any advice.

I'll echo everyone's comments about Jared - informative, courteous, prompt.
    No. I have read too many posts from folks who don't care for removable doors.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven 11
    Insulation
    Yeti/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I just wanted another excuse to get one of Jared's great tarps to add to my gear

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    Interesting to read because I'm currently thinking about buying one of these tarps. I have an 11' Superfly and really like it, but I'd like to get a 12' for a bit more coverage and I think it might work better if I'm using my RR.

The only thing I'm not 100% sure on is the material, I was thinking about going with the silpoly to give me something different to the silnylon I have now, with better water shedding. I'm thinking of asking if there are camo options in the silpoly because I've seen camo tarps that look pretty neat. I did consider the cuben fiber from HG, but I just don't have much need to shed weight for motorcycle camping or car camping and I'm not sure I'd be getting a 12' winter tarp if weight was that critical.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiMark View Post
    Interesting to read because I'm currently thinking about buying one of these tarps. I have an 11' Superfly and really like it, but I'd like to get a 12' for a bit more coverage and I think it might work better if I'm using my RR.

The only thing I'm not 100% sure on is the material, I was thinking about going with the silpoly to give me something different to the silnylon I have now, with better water shedding. I'm thinking of asking if there are camo options in the silpoly because I've seen camo tarps that look pretty neat. I did consider the cuben fiber from HG, but I just don't have much need to shed weight for motorcycle camping or car camping and I'm not sure I'd be getting a 12' winter tarp if weight was that critical.
    Jared can use any of the fabric offered by Ripstopbytheroll. The have a pretty wide selection of camo tarp material.

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collect...ouflage-fabric

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast