DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images

Splicing question.. Dynalide prussik with zingit leader attached...

Working a project that requires a prussik knot.. I HATE prussik knots, but in this application it will be the best option. I want to make the prussik using a dynaglide continuous loop and to that loop, I want to attach a long length of zingit.

The first draft of this configuration was done simply creating a locked brummel in the dynaglide and using that eye to construct the prussik, and it works fine.. just trying to shorten & lighten things up a bit, hence combining the cordage size, and eliminating the length that is the locked brummels bury.

There are likely a few knots I can use to tie off the zingit to the CL, but I would prefer to splice it in some manner. Smaller zingit, spliced into the larger dynaglide CL. The goal is keeping the connection point between the cordage as short as possible.

Any suggestions on splicing cordage of different size and/or splicing into the continuous loop?
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Images
    I can't think of anything that isn't still going to have a bury. curious if anyone else has a good idea.
    Why can't you just put your fixed eye at the end of your zing-it and turn that into your prusik?

If you hate prusik knots, you can always try a klemheist knot.
    My experience with prusik knots on any of these slippery lines is that it either doesn't bite hard enough to stay put, or you add just one more wrap and now it's a fight to get it to slide when you want it to. Works fantastic on paracord though.

I have no idea if they'd be suitable, but other options I've seen to replace a prusik would be a loop alien, or a UCR .

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Man, you are hardcore if you're worried about the weight of the line in the bury of a continuous loop!! I don't think the larger line will properly grab the smaller line if the smaller line is spliced into the larger. I know you asked for no knots but a sheet bend was made for the task that you explain here, make it "slippery" if you need to untie it often. Does the prussik have to be dynaglide? Could the prussik be replaced the the functional equivalent of the sliding portion of a UCR?

EDIT: Gqgeek81 types faster than I do.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Maybe include locked brummel on splices--where possible--so bury can be shorter.
    If a locked brummel is not possible at that location. The skinny cord being buried--make a small eye loop on end, (it can have its own locked brummel and short bury)
    Then larkshead small eye loop around larger cord then splice skinny rope into fatter rope--Maybe this will hold without slipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Maybe include locked brummel on splices--where possible--so bury can be shorter.
    If a locked brummel is not possible at that location. The skinny cord being buried--make a small eye loop on end, (it can have its own locked brummel and short bury)
    Then larkshead small eye loop around larger cord then splice skinny rope into fatter rope--Maybe this will hold without slipping.

I agree with PG... splice an eyeloop with a locked brummel in your smaller diameter line and larkshead it to the larger one. It would be much easier and no worries about a splice between the different diameters slipping out.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    All good stuff.. thanks.

Let me elaborate.

I hate prussik knots for the reasons noted above. In this application, the prussik is going around webbing and the larger diameter of the dynaglide make it bearable. No hardware that I can think of will work.

I have used a similar setup for a different application, but did it in zingit and it works great, with the exception of the zingit prussik which I want to avoid if at all possible.

I am looking less to reduce weight related to the bury, than I am recovering the inches lost to the bury. Let me explain. The fixed eye prussiks around the webbing and the rest of the cordage is used to make a ucr. The section lost to the fixed eye's bury can't be used for the ucr's constrictor, so the ucr can't be as close to the prussik as I want it. If I make a CL of dynaglide, and use that as the prussik, and then find a way to secure zingit to the dynaglide prussik/CL, I can make the ucr in the zingit. Splicing an eyeloop with a locked brummel in the smaller diameter line and larkshead it to the larger one, creates the same problem as using the dynaglide alone.. the section lost to the fixed eyes' bury. thanks though.
    I need to get the ucr as close as possible to prussik.
    I can tie the zingit to the prussik/CL, but I'm not feeling all warm and fuzzy about that setup.
    That's what got me thinking about splicing the zingit into the CL. Using dynaglide as a constrictor on zingit won't work, but what if I was able to thread the zingit through the exit hole for used to bury the dynaglide ends for the CL? That might be enough constrictions on the zingit to make it hold... dunno.
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    If this is for a tarp line and not a hammock suspension--you can have a locked brummel and a short bury--maybe one inch.
    You might get away with that short bury with hammock suspension--You would have to test to see if it works.
    Is the goal to have a shorter minimum hang?
    Not sure what you are describing--you might be able to splice a line into a continuous loop Before loop is closed--and both splices be able to have locked brummel.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    If this is for a tarp line and not a hammock suspension--you can have a locked brummel and a short bury--maybe one inch.
    You might get away with that short bury with hammock suspension--You would have to test to see if it works.
    Is the goal to have a shorter minimum hang?
    Not sure what you are describing--you might be able to splice a line into a continuous loop Before loop is closed--and both splices be able to have locked brummel.

Yes, thank you for this. I was challenged to verbalize it. The goal is to shorten the minimum hang. I have a three quarter inch bury and a locked brummelI holding eye fine and l am up to a three inch bury on the ucr and it isn't holding to my liking likely because it's slippery dynaglide.

Sent from somewhere east of Montauk...
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Splicing question.. Dynalide prussik with zingit leader attached...

Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Yes, thank you for this. I was challenged to verbalize it. The goal is to shorten the minimum hang. I have a three quarter inch bury and a locked brummelI holding eye fine and l am up to a three inch bury on the ucr and it isn't holding to my liking likely because it's slippery dynaglide.

Sent from somewhere east of Montauk...
    Test this to see if it works ( I guess a lot )
    Where cord exits UCR you can tie a slip knot one inch from bury exit. If UCR slips--it can slip only one inch until slip knot is pulled to bury entrance and stops. Why not put slip knot flush with bury entrance--to prevent jamming, since slip knots can jam. It won't jam every time--but it will not jam if it stays an inch away and is not stressed.
    To unjam a slip knot (and other knots) put knot on concrete or flat rock and stomp it. When the knot goes from round to flat it has to loosen, because the cord has to go farther in a flat knot than a round knot.
    Maybe a longer bury will hold better.
    It's a trade off. Good luck

Maybe try shorten bury at locked brummel--
    Maybe a one inch bury--make locked brummel do all work---all a guess on my part--test and have good insurance...

Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 10-21-2017 at 17:11.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Why make a locked brummel and bury at all? Use a bowline loop (or something better?) as the prusik with the tail as either the constrictor or bury of the ucr. Although I just successfully pulled dynaglide through a 1" long zing-it constrictor (what a PITA!), I'll suggest sticking with dynaglide for both parts. Larkshead the shock cord loop to the tarp and albright to the ucr. Probably that's about as short as you'll get with this setup.

I know with zing-it mini-ucr's the shortest I could get away with is about 2-1/2" finished constrictor length.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast