Hammock
    DIY
    Images

People's Bridge Hammock - update and feedback request

I've started making PBHs for heavier hangers using Dobby 1.9 in a double layer, and they're working out quite well. Since a number of people are taller than I am, I've also changed the dimensions a bit from my first post. The torso section is now 50" instead of 48" and the leg section is 30" instead of 28". Also, the head and foot widths are about 58" (using full width of the fabric), and the center width is now 30" instead of 24". I now extend the fabric 16" beyond the spreaders at each end and put a channel to gather the end. This gathered end is temporary, as I like to experiment with different spreader lengths. Once I've decided on a length, I convert the end section (which is just a rectangle) to one of Grizz's origami end caps. These don't sound like big changes, I know, but they make the hammock roomier, especially for side sleepers. Further changes are possible - especially the length. I find that I like a hammock that is longer than necessary. I'm going for comfort and safety here, so the full width at the foot end doesn't matter, even though it adds an ounce or two. There's no real reason for it except simplicity of measuring and construction. Spreaders for big hammocks need to be strong. Easton .748" tubing seems to work if the spreader length is not more than 80% of the fabric width. I make pockets that are interchangeable with my simpler corner pieces, and they hold bamboo or tree limb spreaders of bigger diameter. Sadly, trekking poles won't work for hangers over 225 lbs. (maybe less). I'll document these changes and more in a future post, with pictures.

I'd like to hear feedback from those who tried the PBH I sent to MAHHA. It was definitely not for heavier hangers, though. Also, if the person who won it in the raffle will send me a PM, I'll send them some corner pockets to fit their brand of trekking poles.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    I had my eye on the PBH in the raffle, but it was not my day. Would have loved to try it out, didn't know there was one set up. Even though I didn't get to take it home with me, I'd like to thank you for the donation and the opportunity.

I was hoping you were going to be there so I could pick your brain. As Just Bill can attest to, I'm an oddball in terms of hammock fit. And no, I'm definitely not a big guy.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Thanks, Squidmark. I hope to make the Spring MAHHA. I have friends with long torsos and short legs and others with short torsos and long legs, but there are hammocks to fit everyone. The PBH takes an averaging approach in the placement of the knee ridge, and that's the feature that determines the most comfortable place to lie in the hammock, so a PBH that's slightly longer than necessary (as gauged by person's height) is nice. DIY types should feel free to monkey with the proportions I've listed. It's a very forgiving design.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I am hoping to make another PBH this winter. I want to shorten it ever so slightly to fit better on my Indoor hammock hanging spot. I don't need to shorten much, maybe a couple of inches towards head end and a couple towards the foot end. I can also shorten the dog bones by about an inch each. I will let you know how it works out.
    Even with the current dimensions and not being able to hang it "perfectly", it is still extremely comfortable.

• + New Posts