DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Pending
    Suspension
    Dutchware

The Blue Lagoon

Ok Guys, I want to start out by thanking everybody here on the forum. Especially Dutch & Rip Stop By the Roll, for giving us ever growing options for making our own gear. I started out in an Eno & sleeping bag like most on here. But I was not really happy with it. I got a cold butt every night it was cool. After trying pads & other crazy stuff I came across the forums and the game has changed. I quickly found the D.I.Y. section and it was all over with. I like to do things myself, so I bought a Singer Heavy Duty. I have found so many cool things on here I want to make. I have made quite a few hammocks & bags (great gifts by the way) & 1 winter tarp from r.s.b.t.r. But I really wanted to make a tarp that all my friends can hang out under in bad conditions. There are usually 3-6 of us so it could get crowded. I knew it would get heavy with all the add ons but we usually only hike a few miles to camp & I don’t mind the weight on short hikes. After studying every post with tarps I could find , I settled on this design. There were doors at one time but I did not measure or research enough so I cut it to a rectangle. I do plan on making a closure for the ends later. All materials were bought from Dutch & Rip Stop.

Here are some of the stats. My scales are not working properly so I will update that info later. It has a 12’ ridgeline and 7’ sides (So 12’*14’). It is made of Robin Egg Blue(10 yards)& Royal blue (5 yards cut in half) Membrane Silpoly pu4000 w/ Royal blue thread. All cordage is blue Reflect It, with Dutch gear. I used blue Hyper D 300 for tie out support & purple (closest color I could find) 3/8” grossgrain for tie outs with ½” Beastie & Triangle’s. The Ridgline tie outs are ¾” blue grosgrain with a ¾” Beastie. I tucked a ½” D-ring behind it for pole support. I got the poles from Dutch, there is actually over 40’ of it between the 3. They were taken apart & put back together for the lengths desired. I actually had to cut down 1 to make the center pole work, which was an add on because the center of the tarp sagged without it.
    I added lots of tie outs on it in case I do not want to bring , what came to be a large & heavy set of poles. The tie outs on the bottom all have a ½” Triangles for the rope & a ½” Beastie on the inside for the poles. The upper tie outs on the sides have a ½” Beasties (the upper 2 on each side are spaced so my shorter outside poles fit directly in them)on the outside. ½” D-Rings on the inside so I can pull my hammock back for guests.

Alright, I know I’ve been a long winded but I am excited about the results. But there are a few things I would have done differently and I want to share it so others may not have to do things twice or regret.
    1-So the colors are beautiful but the robin egg blue top is a very light color and I noticed the sun gets through it a lot more than my purple winter tarp or even the royal blue edges. So if I was trying to use it to keep a small group cool & shaded on a hot N.C. summers day it may not be the best. That being said I may have gone with a darker color combo.
    2- DOORS. I totally screwed up my doors. For some reason I assumed 4’ doors on the ends would be long enough But after putting it up for the 1st time I realized they were not big enough to close the ends up and they looked dumb hanging out. So I guess what I’m saying is plan & measure twice or more, Cut & sew once

You will notice where my dog Bodhi likes to lay when I get my tarps or hammocks set up. He seems to like it, let me know what you guys think. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    Wow! That thing is Yuuuge. Mighty fine looking work and Bodhisattva is beautiful.
    "If we lose the forests, we lose our only instructors. People must see these forests and wilderness as the greatest educational system that we have on the planet. If we lose all the universities in the world, then we would lose nothing. But If we lose the forests, we lose everything." -- Bill Mollison

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    That is brilliant work! I love the colors, and your craftsmanship is great. Pic #5 at first I couldn't figure out what that length of fabric was hanging loose under the tarp; then I realized it was a hammock.

Hammock
    DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Pending
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Yeah that was the hammock tied up to the sides. Just wanted to see how room I have. Today is rainy & windy so I'm putting it to the test. So far I need to seam seal a little better!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Very nice and bright tarp. This thing is so large that one could park a small car under her Good job on the color choices and construction.

After recently spending a few nights by myself in the pouring rain under my tarp, I realize that what I thought was a big tarp seems tiny when you're under it for an entire day. I've been looking for inspiration for my next project, and this might just be it! Any pics and specs on it all packed up by chance?

Hammock
    DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Pending
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Not yet. I still have to make a bag & some snakeskins for easier install & takedown. I will update soon with weight & all that. So its been out in torential downpour & high winds for over 4 hours & its held up well. Definitely needs a little seam sealer on the tie outs but over all I'm very happy!

Hammock
    DIY linen 11’
    Suspension
    Dutch daisy chain
    Beautiful tarp. Do you have any pictures of it without the poles?

That tarp is inspired and beautiful. Thank you for sharing!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly-Custom
    Insulation
    HG Econ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    All Sorts of
    That thing is awesome! If I had any DIY skills I would attempt to build that beauty for my girlfriend (her favorite color is blue). Alas, I will be content to admire yours instead! Great job!
    "The world is a complicated place Hobbes"
    "Whenever it seems that way, I take a nap in a tree and wait for dinner"
    -Calvin and Hobbes

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast