Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Bridge Hammock - First Try

Hello there. Newly registered guy from Finland here.

I just placed orders for 3x1.5m 70den Ripstop Nylon 66gr/m², 10 meters of 19mm Edelrid Supertape (1500 daN webbing) and 2 meters 16x2mm aluminum tubes to fabricate my first bridge hammock.

I want it to be as simple a bridge hammock as possible without any fancy stuff like foot-boxes, mosquito-nets, or aynthing like it. Just a piece of fabric with webbing sown to the sides.

There's lots of different design out there, and I'm not too sure what will suit me the best, so I'm asking for a little advice here. I want a pretty much flat hammock suited for sleeping on my side or my stomach, as I can't seem to fall asleep on my back. Never could.

The plan is to make the hammock 210cm / 83" long, 120cm / 47" wide with a 12" curved cut resulting in 90cm /35" in the middle. The spreader-bars will be the same 90cm / 35" as the waist of the hammock.

As far as I understand it, this will result in a pretty flat hammock, with the spreader-bars being the same width as the middle of the hammock and only some 12" of waist cut.

Am I mistaken in this assumption, or will these measurements roughly result in what I'm looking for?
    Last edited by jrs77; 10-24-2017 at 10:07.
    Allways remember, that the world is an orange.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I can't help with the measurements, but a well respected member, WV, posted the following instructions for a simple bridge.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-first-glimpse

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Images
    The materials are pretty hard to come by here in Finland and I need to order them from Germany or the UK, which allways adds alot of shipping-costs in addition to the waiting times.

That's the reason why I wanted to ask first, if the dimensions will actually result in a hammock like I want it to be before I start to cut and sow the fabrics.

I watched the videos from Grizz and anything else I could find for DIY-hammocks, but all the available media is either too general or way too specific and different from what I want.

The reference for my approach would be this -> https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Bridge-Hammock But it doesn't go into any details of how much it sags and if it's suitable for sleeping on your side or stomach, etc.

My goal is basically to design a bridge-hammock that I could use as a bed at home.
    Last edited by jrs77; 10-24-2017 at 10:06.

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 11"
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I can't help with the measurements, but a well respected member, WV, posted the following instructions for a simple bridge.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-first-glimpse

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Seconding these plans. I made a "test hammock" out of some clearance ripstop and was mostly pleased with the results. It was a simple rolled hem edge with grosgrain at the corners to hang it by. I found that even following his instructions to create a "knee ridge" that my prototype laid flat. I also wound up using a much wider spreader bar at the head than at the foot and would HIGHLY recommend you do so as well. Even with the head bar being over a foot longer than the head, my shoulders still get a slight squeeze. I also made some half-circle end caps for mine so that nothing would fall out of the head or foot end during the night as I tend to toss & turn a bit. If you'd like I can get some photos up of what I currently have finished on it.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Another vote for WV's plan. I made one and it was pretty darn easy and pretty darn comfy too.

Images
    I've watched the video, and the PBH/VBH sags way too much for my liking. Therefore I'm much more interested in pursuing Bics approach -> https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Bridge-Hammock

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    I think your side cuts may be a little too deep. I would suggest you start at 6 or 7 inches. You can always go back and take more out if you think you need to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Images
    The cuts are at 6". 12" combined.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    My misunderstanding, then you should be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    That's pretty close to what I would do (I might make the waist cut an inch or even two deeper.) Cut the body, hem the ends, roll in the webbing, sew it down, hammock body done. Very straightforward job. To make the ends look cleaner where the hammock body ends meet the webbing realized that the webbing and hammock end are not at 90 degrees. So when you roll the body onto the webbing the body will visible 'wrap' around the webbing. For a 'cleaner' look you can angle a shallow cut on the corner of the hammock body first, so that when wrapped the body edge align.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast