WBBB XLC 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG CF Std
    Insulation
    Mamba TQ/Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Images
    Very good topic for consideration John. Here in CO you can go from sunny/warn to snow and hail in minutes so your scenario is very applicable and plays out regularly on the Colorado Trail every summer. When the storms roll in each afternoon the only logical answer is to head down to treeline and hunker down. There's rarely level ground and certainly not an established campsite. Having the ability to get up a tarp in a hurry is very critical.

Additional points to consider are having your tarp outside your pack where it's reachable, along with the stakes. Snakeskins really help keep the tarp from flailing into the trees while you're staking it out. Having all tie out lines attached to the tarp and stakes really speeds the process. Once it's up life gets easier.

The takedown in rain is also important to work out. Dry items get packed up first, then don outer gear, cover pack, then take down tree straps, then tarp, and place outside pack, under the cover. I like CF tarps since a quick shake removes 99% of water, keeping pack lighter with less saturation of everything it touches.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Boils down to... there is no one perfect system. Depends of where you are camping.......sometimes a tent is a better option...sometimes a hammock is a better option. Maybe one or the other is the only option for the area.

Regardless, given a choice I would rather sleep in hammock.

I have plenty of practice setting up in the dark but not the rain. I do have lots of experience taking down my rig in the rain. Had to do so this past weekend.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Another consideration is if you are hiking with tent dwellers. They are going to need the best spots to set up. Hammock can be used in less than good situations to accommodate friends. Of course where there are no trees, they will enjoy gloating!
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Heydad! View Post
    Very good topic for consideration John. Here in CO you can go from sunny/warn to snow and hail in minutes so your scenario is very applicable and plays out regularly on the Colorado Trail every summer. When the storms roll in each afternoon the only logical answer is to head down to treeline and hunker down. There's rarely level ground and certainly not an established campsite. Having the ability to get up a tarp in a hurry is very critical.

Additional points to consider are having your tarp outside your pack where it's reachable, along with the stakes. Snakeskins really help keep the tarp from flailing into the trees while you're staking it out. Having all tie out lines attached to the tarp and stakes really speeds the process. Once it's up life gets easier.

The takedown in rain is also important to work out. Dry items get packed up first, then don outer gear, cover pack, then take down tree straps, then tarp, and place outside pack, under the cover. I like CF tarps since a quick shake removes 99% of water, keeping pack lighter with less saturation of everything it touches.
    Spot on with the pre-prep of your tarp, and having it accessible. In the video I made I could have had mine up so much faster if I had taken the time beforehand to do that. Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Boils down to... there is no one perfect system. Depends of where you are camping.......sometimes a tent is a better option...sometimes a hammock is a better option. Maybe one or the other is the only option for the area.

Regardless, given a choice I would rather sleep in hammock.

I have plenty of practice setting up in the dark but not the rain. I do have lots of experience taking down my rig in the rain. Had to do so this past weekend.
    Setting up and taking down in less than optimal conditions is a skill that can only be acquired by doing. I'm with you, wherever it's possible, it's a hammock for me!

Quote Originally Posted by psyculman View Post
    Another consideration is if you are hiking with tent dwellers. They are going to need the best spots to set up. Hammock can be used in less than good situations to accommodate friends. Of course where there are no trees, they will enjoy gloating!
    Solution: Only hike where there are trees haha!

Images

Thumbs up

Nice read. Thanks John!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12