Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Ok, I keep trying to stay away from this stuff but I could save about a pound over the tarp I have now, so it's veeery tempting. Do you think this materal would hold up for a thru-hike?
    I wanted a bigger tarp than I had but did not want the weight. This seemed to be the solution. I need to use it awhile before I could recommend it for a thru hike but the stuff is pretty tough.

I thought about using a solid piece for the top and seaming the sides so that the ridge would maybe be stronger. How is it to sew? Does the fabric feel strong and secure after sewing. It's used for sails so I know it can handle the wind I just want to make sure I don't weaken it by sewing incorrectly. Any advice would be very much appreciated.
    I think it would be stronger with the standard tarp design of the seam in the ridgline. My concern was just with the pullouts on the ridgeline. I am definitely not a sewing expert but made it thru this project ok. The material is tougher than it looks. You can not cut it with scissors.

What's the finished weight and dimensions of your tarp
    144" ridgline 46" sides 5.9oz for tarp only.
    Last edited by hangnout; 08-28-2007 at 19:37.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Now you just need to make a comfortably sized Cuben hammock, and you'll be all set!

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    DANG! 5.9oz is awesome. Over a pound lighter than my tarp. Very impressive.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    DANG! 5.9oz is awesome. Over a pound lighter than my tarp. Very impressive.
    That's just what I was thinking. I bit the bullet and ordered a panel of this stuff yesterday. Very nice people to work with. They sent me a list of adhesives that can be used with the cuben. Unfortunately some of them require a very expensive aplicator to apply them. I guess Ill just stick with the sewing. I found out from a site that sells stuff sacks made of cuben that you can use silnett to seal the seams that are sewn. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    That's just what I was thinking. I bit the bullet and ordered a panel of this stuff yesterday. Very nice people to work with. They sent me a list of adhesives that can be used with the cuben. Unfortunately some of them require a very expensive aplicator to apply them. I guess Ill just stick with the sewing. I found out from a site that sells stuff sacks made of cuben that you can use silnett to seal the seams that are sewn. I'll let you know how it goes
    I used the Silnett to seal my ridgeline. I used Scotch tape to hold the ridgeline seam until I could sew it.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Now you just need to make a comfortably sized Cuben hammock, and you'll be all set!
    It would be strong enough but not breathable at all. If you click the link on the first post of this thread Gardenville has some pics of his Cuben hammock.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I've seen Gardenville's pictures. Very cool (but expensive). I didn't know how breathable Cuben would be, but it makes sense that it wouldn't be very breathable if it makes good tarp material...

still, great job on your tarp!

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HANGnOUT View Post
    I used the Silnett to seal my ridgeline. I used Scotch tape to hold the ridgeline seam until I could sew it.
    That's a great idea to use tape. Did you use a flat felled seam or just overlap the two pieces? Also, I was thinking of sewing a double rolled hem around the perimeter of the tarp for strength, what do you think?
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Flat felled seam. I just folded it once for the hem. The material is fairly transparent so dark thread showed my lack of sewing skills! Next time I will use a gray thread.

Images
    Do a search on C3 sail tape. Sailrite (among others) carries it. It'd be my choice of a tarp of this nature. Sewing weakens a lot of these fabrics considerably.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast