Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape

Wooki - 3-season or 4-season?

I have convinced myself that a Wooki is likely what I will get for my winter insulation, so that brings up the question:

Should I get a 3-season or a 4-season?

Background:
    - All my quilts have all worked well
    - I currently have 3 under quilts (for me and my 2 kids)
    - Arrowhead Jarbridge 3/4 length 20*
    - Arrowhead New River full length 20*
    - Hammock Gear Phoenix Econ 3/4 length 20*
    - I have a 2QZQ under quilt protector coming

As the winter is coming and I will need to think about how to handle the colder temps.

The options I have been thinking:
    - Stack my existing gear together, as needed, and see how that works (pro: I own the gear con: more to carry and fiddle with)
    - Get a Wooki 20* and stack with an existing quilt (pro: save some dollars and quilt is more versatile on its own con: more to fiddle with)
    - Get a Wooki 0* and let it live on its own when the temps drop (pro: simple, no drafts cons: will be good just for cold days)

Thanks for letting me talk this out--and welcome a conversation of what you might do within the given outline of gear and thoughts.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My advice is go with the 4 season (0 degree). I have used mine during 40 and 50 degree nights without a problem of being too hot. I simply adjust my top layer accordingly (lighter top quilt or even toss it aside to vent). I think you'll find the 4 season Wookie pretty flexible.
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

Hammock
    Amok,Clark NX270, ENO junglenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I got the 3 season and love but I wish I had went with the 4. Don't get me wrong the 3 does it job and I'm very happy with it but would like the little extra insurance with the 4.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Wooki & Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have a three season and it is great. That said I am getting the 4 season by next year.

It doesn't matter what the temps are with an underquilt unless you are talking too cold. There is no such thing as too warm with an underquilt. topquilt yes, but not an underquilt.

I can lay in my 20 degree underquilt, in my house with the heat on at 72 degrees and it isn't too warm. If I throw my 35-45 degree topquilt on me though I will be too warm.

Nobody changes out the mattress on their bed due to season changes, everyone does change the top sheets on the bed adding or removing blankets/quilts as required.

Same theory. Best bang for your buck, and the best way to extend your camping season is to gear up for the extreme weather, Once you comitt to getting the three season wookie it really isn't a lot to go one step further.

Have a great weekend!!

Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Woodsman View Post
    My advice is go with the 4 season (0 degree). I have used mine during 40 and 50 degree nights without a problem of being too hot. I simply adjust my top layer accordingly (lighter top quilt or even toss it aside to vent). I think you'll find the 4 season Wookie pretty flexible.
    Excellent!! Just the information I was looking for...thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by SoaknWet View Post
    I got the 3 season and love but I wish I had went with the 4. Don't get me wrong the 3 does it job and I'm very happy with it but would like the little extra insurance with the 4.
    And the perfect confirmation to go for the 4-season...thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by esmith View Post
    I have a three season and it is great. That said I am getting the 4 season by next year.

It doesn't matter what the temps are with an underquilt unless you are talking too cold. There is no such thing as too warm with an underquilt. topquilt yes, but not an underquilt.

I can lay in my 20 degree underquilt, in my house with the heat on at 72 degrees and it isn't too warm. If I throw my 35-45 degree topquilt on me though I will be too warm.

Nobody changes out the mattress on their bed due to season changes, everyone does change the top sheets on the bed adding or removing blankets/quilts as required.

Same theory. Best bang for your buck, and the best way to extend your camping season is to gear up for the extreme weather, Once you comitt to getting the three season wookie it really isn't a lot to go one step further.

Have a great weekend!!
    Excellent points-agree, I just need to hear the words of confirmation, thank you!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    I agree with everyone else...go with the 0 degree Wooki. I bought the 20 degree and love it...it has served me well down to 18 degrees, but I've always regretted that I didn't go with the 0 degree Wooki. Would be nice to be prepared for lower than 18 degrees.

Hammock
    90* Hammocktent 2.0
    Tarp
    Hammocktent Cuben
    Insulation
    Exped pad, EE TQ
    Suspension
    kevlar tree strap
    I own both 0* & 20* wookies. I also have two xlc's and wife & kids that backpack and now prefer hammocks over tents. So, I agree with most everyone posting that the 0 has the flexibility for 3 season use as well as winter and in the cold, you don't want to be fidgeting with multiple UQ's. Also, the wookies are set them & forget 'em working perfectly with BB or BB xlc. If I were to sell one xlc & one UQ, I'd keep the 0*.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hilleberg UL10
    Insulation
    UQ TQ
    Suspension
    I like whoopie
    Images
    I would add a few oz of over stuff myself. I couldnt find it when I ordered my zero deg wookie and I regret it. Its not cold, but I wish it was a tad warmer. Next time I order from Brandon, I'm going to see if he will sell me a couple oz of down so I can add it to my existing wookie. :-)

Mount your wookie and have someone watch the ruber band to see if it stretchs a little bit when you lay in the hammock. If it doesn't stretch at all, it not snug against the bottom of your hammock. The loop on the head end can be adjusted sightly to fine tune it. Not a lot, just a little.
    Last edited by ScooterInVegas; 11-03-2017 at 14:35.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast