Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    CCC545,

Morning and Welcome. Great group of people here to help you out. I am newer also ( began this Spring) and am constantly amazed at how nice and helpful, members are here.

As others have said, this Website, "The Ultimate Hang Book/Website" and Shug's You Tube videos, will set you off right. In addition, there are many members here, that have their own You Tube videos, packed with even more great info.

You dont need to drop a lot of money. If youve been camping already in a tent, youve probably got the gear, to get you off and running, until you decide, if Hammocking suits you.

Dont get all tangled up in the lingo and the feeling that you need the latest and greatest. For instance, a 12 X 10 Walmart Tarp, will do the same job as a 140.00 specialty Tarp. A 15.00 Energizer headlamp will do the same as a 100.00 one.

As with any sport/hobby, you can make it as simple or complicated, as you wish. Learn the basics. Buy/Make or Modify proven gear. Lastly, most of all, have fun. When you get it dialed in, you will have many nights of incredibly comfortable, sleep.

Be safe.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    As simple as hammocks seem, they are quite complex. Take your time learning and enjoy it! Be patient.
    Hammocks require tarp pitching which some folks have never done.
    Just get a good hang first and find your sweet spot. Use a simple suspension. Use around a 30 degree angle to hang as a start.
    Embrace the comfort quest.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    I haven't used either the Academy nor the ENO hammock so I can't help with this issue.

That said, when I first decided to start hammocking, I looked at an ENO at Gander Mountain and studied it. I decided I could make one for a fraction of the price. If you like to DIY, I made a cotton blank and tested until I liked it. Then I made a 10' ripstop nylon hammock using $1.50 fabric from Walmart. So, for $6 of fabric, I made my camping hammock with a Black Bishop Bag to hold it and extra material for other projects. I still use this same hammock for last 7 years.

It's up to you how much to spend and I would recommend to start with DIY(many choices- check out hammock or DIY section) or our Vendors section for less expensive (the word "cheap" would be wrong here).

-Of course, I too cannot recommend enough to watch Shug videos. Make a snack, a cold beverage of choice, and a good amount of time to fully enjoy the wonderful world of Shugemery on YouTube. Start with hammocking for noobs video series and enjoy.

-If you have a tent, go to a group hang and stay the weekend with them. They will show you plenty of rigs and some will let you try out their hammocks, and tips/tricks of the trade.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    SLD - Trail Lair, 90 degree Gamma
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Anything Down
    Suspension
    Good stiff rope
    Images
    I'd go straight to a Warbonnet, Dream, Dutch, or Simply Light Designs hammock (there are others, but I can't think of them right now). We have all messed around with the ENOs, Hennesseys and the like. Save your time and money and just get the good stuff. You won't be sorry.
    Check out our Youtube page for some fun hammock videos https://www.youtube.com/c/LloydLiving

Hammock
    HG 10’ w/net
    Tarp
    Anything with door
    Insulation
    HQ 20*/40* UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps to con
    Welcome and happy trails. You are about to embark on a great journey. One of mystery and wonderment. Be careful, cause there is a bug out there and we would rather you find it on your own.

With that said, the Grand Master Of Funk (Shug) and Derek Hensen will be your guides on your fall down the rabbits hole. Just know this Alice, you can always go back but you probably won’t want to.

Ask lots of questions and follow your heart. Once you start figuring things out, you’ll be ready to start dialing things in. At which time you will want to seek out the “Professor”, the Wizard himself, The elusive Mr. Grizz who will set you straight on the Yellow Brick Road to hammock-er bliss. So Dorothy, click them heals and get ready for the ride. Remember on this ride, you are not required to keep your legs and arm inside the car at all times.

ENJOY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    When was Grizz's last post?!

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    HG 10’ w/net
    Tarp
    Anything with door
    Insulation
    HQ 20*/40* UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps to con
    It’s been about a year since the Ariel series. I can’t remember the last video. I hope he didn’t get lost in the rabbit hole! Oh my.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
    When was Grizz's last post?!

Last week. He’s lurking out there

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I'm baack!
    Screenshot 2017-11-10 07.55.45.jpg

seriously though, hammock engineering has come to a bit of a stall owing to our letting the apartment which the sewing room out to the daughter of a family friend to help her adjust to being 'away from home' for a year before she heads off to teach English in Korea! That and spending a tremendous amount of time traveling.... I'm musing on a reprise of a video on hammock suspension, a summary for new comers. We'll see.

Now back to my rabbit hole...
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    My daughter and I started with really inexpensive hammocks about 12 years ago. I believe they were under $10.00 each hammock and $5.00 each set of straps.

I immediately loved my ENO. Then I found this site.

After many trials I found gear that woeks great for me.

As mentioned earlier, go with inexpensive, see if Hammocks are for you. Then go to a Hang and test different hammocks see what fits you and your finances best. I definately evolved in the type of hammock I need.

I moved from my ENO DBL NEST through a lot of hammocks to my Ridgerunner. I also learned I am claustrophobic, I require minimal enclosement.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast